[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
virus removal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
Does factory resetting a windows PC get rid of the viruses or is there a better way?
>>
File: 1456706825376.jpg (203 KB, 1024x1372) Image search: [Google]
1456706825376.jpg
203 KB, 1024x1372
Installing gentoo is only way from it
>>
Clean install. Whole drive must be formatted and OS freshly installed.
>>
>>54467930
He was somekinda... not ugly...
>>
File: 1424239197289.jpg (40 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
1424239197289.jpg
40 KB, 722x349
>>54468056
>you will never have the chance to fuck young IT prankster Richard Stallman
>>
>>54467808

>these filename
>these image

Seems legit.
>>
>>54467808
>Does factory resetting a windows PC get rid of the viruses or is there a better way?

Define a factory reset. Define virus. We're in an era where the NSA has cracked HDD firmware, where Windows loads and executes binaries from a UEFI table, and where cryptovirii hide in MBRs. And people rely on frikkin "refresh images."

Best way to do it, OP, is to nuke the whole drive. Zero it with 2 passes of DBAN. Then reload Windows from fresh install media.

Hell, viruses can hide in deallocated space on an HDD. That requires custom firmware to remove. FML.
>>
>>54468396
>Define factory reset
Going to the option on my PC in windows 10 that says "fully clean drive this will take several hours".

>Define virus
Basically I have reason to suspect my PC was hacked.
>>
>>54467930
I don't want that operating system because I like windows
>>
>>54468615

>I suspect my PC was hacked.

Your question is far too open-ended. What files were comprimised? Was this a traditional file infecting virus? Has it affected any files on external drives? What all has it infected?

You can't be certain until you know what you're infected with and what it does.
>>
>>54468693
I tried to download a codec to watch an H anime and when I clicked the download button there was a window saying I was infected.
>>
>>54468723
sounds like you're coming up with a story right now

I wouldn't pay you for this shilling
>>
File: 1462569893683722874.jpg (37 KB, 413x477) Image search: [Google]
1462569893683722874.jpg
37 KB, 413x477
>>54468723
>I tried to download a codec to watch an H anime and when I clicked the download button there was a window saying I was infected.
JUST
>>
Typically, yes.

However, there was one PC I worked on where it was so embedded that it got into the factory reinstall option (I believe it was a Dell Windows 7 machine). Typically when we ran them it cleared out all the bullshit.

Was a weird one too, caused random music, sound effects, and TV show soundbytes to play every 30 seconds. I wish I got a video of it, shit was freaky as fuck. We ended up completely wiping the drive and reloading from a disc for that one.
>>
>>54467930
man he really let himself go
>>
>>54468056

as a youngers (shota Stallman), he was very handsome. There is a pic of him at that age on the internet
>>
>>54468693
I suspect it was hacked because I went on the deep web and forget to shut down the scripts on the tor browser. I don't have internet at home so my laptop is online only on wifi so I'm not scared they could track me through location when I'm offline. I just got done factory resetting the PC it took forever. If there was a virus of some kind I want to make sure its gone. My mcaffree anti virus free trial ran out and I don't have the money to buy a new software. Btw the guy who answered before is not me. I had finals tonight that's why it took me so long to respond.
>>
>>54467808
Looks like Chloe vivirer
>>
>>54472755
>McAfee
>no money
>plenty of free alternatives
GTFO
>>
>>54473084
>there will never be new free pics of her
why live
>>
>>54473186
Free anti virus doesn't work its false sense of security you have to pay for the shit that works
>>
>>54467808
you
TITTY MONSTER
>>
>>54473878
That's not me that's some random pic
>>
>>54473249
What are you on about now, retard.
>>
>>54467808
Once a certain type of malware breaks in your pc, it cannot be deleted EVER. Embrace the botnet.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.