[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think of VMware? There is any reason to use virtualbox
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: file.png (89 KB, 450x323) Image search: [Google]
file.png
89 KB, 450x323
What does /g/ think of VMware?
There is any reason to use virtualbox over this?
Also, can virtualbox use some of the GPU yet to bots and stuff?
>>
>>54467286
VMWare is pretty much the best when it comes to Virtual Machines... Virtual Box doesn't have shit on (half the features) VMware does, including Hardware accelerated GFX...
>>
i almost worked for them once but didn't end up taking the job, they seemed pretty dysfunctional, did some research afterwards and it seems like all their good people left several years ago
>>
>>54467286
>What does /g/ think of VMware?
VMware Workstation was the best desktop vm solution. Until they killed it recently.

>There is any reason to use virtualbox over this?
VBox is open source and has lots of great tools that mostly work with VBox better than VMware because of this.

>Also, can virtualbox use some of the GPU yet to bots and stuff?
If you want to do GPU (PCI passthrough) you have better options such as Xen
>>
>>54467286
I kinda have the same question here.
Just found out today that VMware Workstation Player is free for home usage and gave it a try. That automatic installation of an operating system is pretty neet feature. But can't really tell if there are any performance differences with VBox, to me they both run great.
>>
>>54467312
>Until they killed it recently.
Explain further
>>
>>54467312
>If you want to do GPU (PCI passthrough) you have better options such as Xen

I need two gpus for that, right?
>>
>anything but kvm
>>
>>54467354
they fired the whole workstation team and "out sourced" the "maintenance" to India. it is essentially a dead product walking.

>>54467373
yarp
>>
>>54467373
Yes, but it doesn't have to be two dedicated GPUs. One of them, the host machine, can be internal graphics in your CPU, either Intel or AMD.
>>
>>54467455
it seems like they realized their market is becoming saturated and they just want to replace everyone with low paid pajeets
>>
In 2010 VMware would definitely have been the way manage servers in an enterprise.

However now that OpenStack has gained real traction most enterprises hire consulting forms to set up an OpenStack private cloud for them.

Unfortunately, most OpenStack consulting firms set up an OpenStack system a full release behind, by the time the customer uses the OpenStack deployment a new OpenStack version has been released, and because there is not clean demarcation between consulting firm and customer, the OpenStack system never gets properly upgraded.

SmartOS and SmartDataCenter is the way to go to deploy a private cloud.

SmartOS has had for a while new true OS containers with true multi-tenancy (security isolation and resource isolation).

Applications should be deployed on SmartOS Base64 Zones with SaltStack.

Legacy (Windows) applications may be deployed on KVM instances on SmartOS.

Most of VMware's customers are places that have super old people (50+ years old) with bureaucratic IT jobs.

When a company comes forth and offers compute the way PureStorage offers storage, VMware will be fucked.
>>
>>54467455
>>54467312
VMWare Workstation is not dead.

Fusion is dead and so is the Fusion team.

VMWare > Virtualbox any day If you can't use a Type 1
>>
Hyper-V or go home
>inb4 legacyfag
>>
>>54468292
Can you give me insight into how hyper-v works? How hard is it to set up? How easy it to to switch between your host and a vm?
>>
>>54468150
Troops are deployed. Software is installed.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.