[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats the actual reason why games dont run on linux? is it just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6
File: PPKhKZt.jpg (28 KB, 518x402) Image search: [Google]
PPKhKZt.jpg
28 KB, 518x402
whats the actual reason why games dont run on linux? is it just drivers or the actual kernel?
>>
The game's binaries interact with various parts of the operating system.
There are parts that are cross-operating system but even the smallest little call to the operating system means you have to rebuild the game for linux, how it makes calls to the hardware.
>>
too much security
>>
File: 1462753182453.jpg (86 KB, 960x708) Image search: [Google]
1462753182453.jpg
86 KB, 960x708
>>54457372
Microsoft used DirectX as a way to gain a monopoly on the pc gaming market. It's a proprietary graphics library that doesn't exist on Linux, and all games use it
>>
The graphics API the games are developed in is the main reason
>>
>>54457372
...because they're not written for linux

if you think about it, it's amazing that the community has created something like WINE to trick the program into thinking windows is installed

but if you wrote a program for one operating system, why would you expect it to run on a completely different OS?
>>
>>54457403

True in the past, now many games use OpenGL.
>>
>>54457403

this

hoping vulkan will change things in the future
>>
Graphics API is one big reason, though hopefully Vulkan will fix this

Some things related to memory management are different on Linux and Windows, also dynamic linking is different
>>
File: 1353024259184.png (217 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1353024259184.png
217 KB, 480x480
>>54457443
>many games use OpenGL
>>
>>54457457
>though hopefully Vulkan will fix this
Only it wont..
>>
>>54457468
Why not? Unreal engine 4 and Source engine 2 use it
>>
>>54457403
Even games written using opengl don't necessarily easily port to Linux, there's more to it than that

And I don't think it comes down to releasing compiled Linux binaries since if all they had to do was compile in GCC and sell more they'd be doing it

I'd imagine DRM is maybe part of it, probably more difficult to implement DRM on Linux
>>
File: 570141988.gif (8 KB, 278x248) Image search: [Google]
570141988.gif
8 KB, 278x248
.exe
>>
File: 1461672303657.jpg (79 KB, 717x960) Image search: [Google]
1461672303657.jpg
79 KB, 717x960
>>54457372
but I just played counter strike and I'm on linux mint
>>
>>54457490
Because that doesn't mean games can be easily ported tomorrow Linux. Man, even creating binaries in Linux for every distribution is a pain in the ass. Nobody wants to do that
>>
>>54457513
Only that CS performs considerably worse on Linux.
>inb4 works on my machine
No, it works worse on any machine. It's a proven fact.
>>
>>54457492
>Even games written using opengl don't necessarily easily port to Linux, there's more to it than that

Yes, I know. That's why there are libraries like SDL that handle cross-platform for every aspect.

>And I don't think it comes down to releasing compiled Linux binaries since if all they had to do was compile in GCC and sell more they'd be doing it

No shit.

>I'd imagine DRM is maybe part of it, probably more difficult to implement DRM on Linux

No.

Also, check out the valve blog on how they converted all their games to be Linux compatible. Interesting stuff!
>>
Big part of the problem is that the Linux ecosystem is so broad

If I release a game for Windows, I can generally be sure of all their system software. On Linux this is not the case due to different distributions, DEs, X setups, driver options, etc.

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2010/05/why-games-dont-get-ported-to-linuxa.html?m=1
>>
>>54457514
>binaries in Linux for every distribution

What the fuck are you talking about? Distro doesn't change the binary, you retard
>>
>>54457530
Not that guy but do you have a link for that blog, would be curious to read
>>
>>54457463
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OpenGL_programs

Few major titles are on the list.
>>
>>54457526
from what ive heard its supposed to run better on linux
>>
>>54457513
>csgo
>2016

If I wanted to play games from 2012, I would just use my PS2.
>>
File: 1461168854299.jpg (13 KB, 540x489) Image search: [Google]
1461168854299.jpg
13 KB, 540x489
>>54457526
not going to disagree, it has to be played with the option "use mutli core rendering" disabled or it stutters and sounds randomly cut off, still my laptops framerate exceeds the refresh rate so it's not enough to bother me

>>54457555
true for L4D2, or at least it runs every bit as well as windows, not true for CSGO
>>
>>54457539
You fucking idiot, think again. Just motherfucking thing again you god damn weeaboo. Sometimes I wish I could fucking gas weebfagging niggers like you.
>>
>>54457573
>true for L4D2
maybe thats what i saw. ive only played cs go on linux on my current rig so i havnt been able to test it
>>
>>54457573
all source games work better if you turn off multi core.
>>
>>54457579
>think again

Yup, you're still wrong.
>>
>>54457601
"…making binaries for Linux desktop applications is a major fucking pain in the ass. You don’t make binaries for Linux, you make binaries for Fedora 19, Fedora 20, maybe even RHEL5 from 10 years ago. You make binaries for Debian Stable…well actually no, you don’t make binaries for Debian Stable because Debian Stable has libraries that are so old that anything built in the last century doesn’t work.
…and this [„Don’t Break Userspace!“] is like, a big deal for the kernel, and I put a lot of effort into explaining to all the developers that this is a really important thing, and then all the distributions come in, and they screw it all up. Because they break binary compatibility left and right." Torvalds
>>
>>54457443
Unture, all AAA titles being released in 2016 still use DirectX. No games I've played that came out in 2015-2016 use OpenGL. D3D12 is the reason Windows 10 has exclusive games.
>>
>>54457621
Either you have the libraries needed to use a binary or you don't. It has nothing to with distro. Or the binary just statically links everything and you don't have to worry about the dynamic shit
>>
>>54457633
>Either you have the libraries needed to use a binary or you don't.
It doesn't work like that you fucking idiot. Well maybe it does of you're a retarded weebfagging nigger that's talking about simple waifu Downloader programs. If you don't understand what Linus said you're part of those families that should have gotten genocided during ww2. Creating binaries for all distributions is a pain in the ass, that's it.
>>
>>54457420
>>54457656
Holy shit fucking roasted
>>
>>54457656
Why are you so ass blasted? Even Linus knows it's a library issue.
>>
>>54457656
Lol
>>
>>54457656
Thank God we can just download the source and compile it ourselves. Man, I thought we were in real trouble there for a second.
>>
>>54457754
And how are you going to get the source for all the games? Besides, have fun Compiling a whole game which is going to take a fucking week
>>
>>54457775
Oh, we're still talking about vidya gaymes. My bad.

Yeah, I couldn't possibly care less about not being able to download and compile "Brown Military Shooter XIV: The Modern Call of Brothers Band Together in Warfare Duty in Halo" on my machine. I'm sure you think it's fun, but it's not really my thing.
>>
>>54457388
/thread

Even my tiny Linux Tetris game makes calls to the OS. I have to call clock_gettime() in order to have reasonably stable framerate. There isn't as far as I know it a good portable timer. SDL's sdl_getticks() timer is a piece of shit with horrible milisecond-tier resolution.
>>
>>54457626
But what games that you played actually used D3D12 instead of 11?
>>
>>54457799
>Yeah, I couldn't possibly care less about not being able to download and compile "Brown Military Shooter XIV
Me neither and that's fine. But I'm not walking around like many Linux retards, trying to find excuses and claim that Linux is well built for gaming because it sure as hell isn't.
>>
what parts would you recommend if i were to build a linux pc for UT4 with amd
>>
>>54457852
Did someone in this thread claim that it was?
>>
>>54457854
I'd ask a neurologist for a proper functioning brain that understands how to do its own fucking research
>>
>>54457865
you must be the nigger in this thread
>>
>>54457862
Yes you or someone else claimed it wouldn't be a fucking pain to create binaries of a game that work on all linux distributions.
>>
>>54457875
Niggers don't do their own research and they sure as hell don't use their brains so you must be the nigger. How's welfare going?
>>
>>54457886
Yeah, that person is a retard. You either let them compile it themselves from source, or you throw it on Steam and let them handle providing the necessary libraries, dependencies, etc. through the client.
>>
>>54457897
>envy for having a micro penis
>>
>>54457825
Only the new Hitman game, and it lets you use 11, but you need Windows 10 to use 12 so fuck that. Quantum Break is a game that only uses D3D12. My irl buddy is considering dual booting Win10 for the new Forza (if that's even possible).
>>
>>54457443
>many games use OpenGL.
>>
>>54457907
Or just download the libraries that a binary needs yourself. It has nothing to do with the distro, fucktards
>>
>>54457907
>and let them handle providing the necessary libraries, dependencies, etc. through the client.
Even this often requires fixes because of incompatibilities between libs of your system and the libs that were provided by the game which forces you to either use the libs of your system or the older libs provided by the game/steam. Arch users sometimes struggle with this.
>>
>>54457947
It's not that easy with big programs/games you know.. everyone seems to be so smart here and yet shit still doesn't work and even the fucking creator of Linux is complaining about it.
>>
>>54457947
Considering even Linus has problems getting all of the correct libraries working, you can't expect your average consumer to be able to find and download all the necessary versions of the libraries and resolve all of the dependencies and incompatibilities.
>>
>>54457980
Linus has himself admitted that he isn't good with system maintenance tasks
>>
>>54457980
Then statically link

>>54457982
Linus is a retard when it comes to sys admin stuff, he admits this. He's a kern developer! For fucks sake, programmer doesn't mean IT expert
>>
>>54457982
>you can't expect your average consumer
And then they'll tell consumers "if you're a retard don't use Linux"..
>>
>>54457999
>>54458010
What kind of fucking excuse is that? Are you fucking retarded or something? AND HOW THE FUCK ISN'T STATICALLY LINKING EVERYTHING NOT A FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS? Fucking retards on this board really take it to the next level
>>
>>54458070
*is
>>
>>54457372
Mostly due to the fact that DirectX exists and is Windows-only.
Yes, there's OpenGL/Vulkan to replace Direct3D, but Direct3D does not make up the entirety of DirectX
There's also XACT3 and XAudio2 for sound (with DirectSound and DirectMusic being deprecated)
Xinput (with DirectInput being deprecated) for gamepad support
there also was DirectPlay that provided a ready-to-use implementation of some common network functionality

And so you get to replace DirectX with
OpenGL/Vulkan + OpenAL/SDL + SDL + ??
Which is feasible (there _are_ games on Linux, despite the memes), yet you still have to maintain the DirectX version of your game if you want to release on Xbox. So using DirectX gets you a bigger market than using Vulkan/SDL at the moment. Especially with Apple going all separatist with Metal.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.