[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to get to CS masters with shit grades, non major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: sadpepe.jpg (34 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
sadpepe.jpg
34 KB, 960x540
Dear /g/od, I need your advice.

I was a cuck and thought I wanted to become a biologist, so I went into college studying biology. On my free time, I have basically been doing nothing but coding, and I know C++, python, some Haskell, and web dev stuff (not just the noob HTML and CSS, but also Javascript and PHP).

I suck at bio and hate that shit and I am about to graduate with a 2.1 GPA as a bio major, but I really, really want to get a CS masters. Is there a way to demonstrate my skills in programming and get into a master's program? Also, looking for a job in software development.

Also, I have a github and bitbucket, as well as about 60 made Unreal Engine tutorial vids on YouTube. Advice plz?
>>
Maybe you should have spent your free time studying biology instead of posting stupid fucking memes on this website
>>
>>54451006
Kill your self
>>
>>54451047
Bio isnt what I love. Its programming. I got some great ideas and I know that in order to do anything above being a codemonkey you need some form of degree. Just need some unfiltered, no bullshit advice on how to move forward,
>>
>>54451006
Connections anon. Thats how tou get jobs. Show your skill but get them connections.
>>
do really well on the GRE, get recommendations from CS professors, and try to explain in your application letter you focused on CS stuff instead of bio

maybe also try working for a couple of years in a programming related job?
>>
You don't need a master's and it's not the optimal route.

Program and study your dick off and build a solid portfolio of projects.
If you're good enough, you will get hired. Just don't list GPA on resume.
>>
>>54451106
Huh, interesting. didn't think of that. I do have a relatively solid portfolio. Also, all my knowledge is self taught.
>>
>>54451102
Should I take the CS special topics one? Also, since It was really rough college years, didn't really take CS classes.. So no real relationship. Just now I am taking some web dev stuff. Maybe I can get a recommendation from that?
>>
>>54451126
Get a pdf of Cracked the Code and make it your bible.

Once you're confident, just apply like crazy and message recruiters on LinkedIn. It's a numbers game.
Like I said, if you're good enough and demonstrate it to the employer they will not care about anything else.
>>
>>54451161
any links to that book?
>>
>>54451006
If i had knowledge in both bio and programming i would definitely try to make something combining both to get attention on my coding portfolio.
>>
>>54451246
I have made a DNA alignment program. Inputs Forward and reverse strands sent from sequencing company and finds top 10 meaningful alignments. Done in python though, so not that intense looking.
>>
I can link my github and bitbucket here, Its not the best organized, but tell me your opinions, advice on if I should change anything or whatever.

Here you go:

https://github.com/sciencefreak500
https://bitbucket.org/sciencefreak500/
>>
>>54451006
you do know that CS isn't about programming ? i've learned like 20-30 different languages while studying CS, and they were all just tools to demonstrate other things
>>
>>54451365
I'd recommend you to change the name of your github. Makes you look less professional.
>>
>>54451365
i'd recommend you to learn how to code in c or c++ .. that code is horrible.
can't comment on python because i don't know python, but i guess it's equally bad
>>
>>54451365
you'll make it, just keep trying. you dont even need a masters if ur god at coding
>>
>>54451441
I know this. Knowing a bunch of programming languages is the equivalent to speaking different languages, but that doesn't mean you can write a book or a poem.

It's the thought process behind the code. Being able to solve a problem or create something that can aid others. Its really understanding and applying logical thought. I really want to dive deep into it, and I have been doing so on my free time, but I don't really have a solid traditional foundation in CS.
>>
>>54451487
Thats a good suggestion. Maybe just change to my real name?

>>54451503
Alright, and books or vids that you recommend to learning correct/good
>>
>>54451536
no, thats not CS. what you want is SE
>>
>>54451006
>2.1 gpa biology
>wanting to get into a CS masters
OP, we are long lost brothers.
>>
>>54451554
Huh. So what's CS then?
>>
>>54451552
K&R C
Deep C Secrets
>>
File: 1454486993245.png (121 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
1454486993245.png
121 KB, 258x245
>Unreal engine
>tutorials
But srsly, u dont need a masters. Look for an internship, and just link your github with your resume. You should be able to get a beginner internship easy, after that, getting a job is a piece of cake
>>
>>54451568
math, automata theory, computability, formal languages,
>>
File: 1462156823319.jpg (32 KB, 403x342) Image search: [Google]
1462156823319.jpg
32 KB, 403x342
>>54451006
>python, c++, haskell
>unreal engine
you're double+ perf for cs senpai
go get em
>>
>>54451006
OP this is a serious answer:

You have a 2.1 GPA. You likely won't be accepted to an MS program unless you have stellar letters of recommendation or something of that sort.

But there is a way around it.

Most MS programs require you satisfy certain pre-reqs for consideration into a MS program in CS.

You probably don't have those pre-reqs as a non-major and that with your shit grades means more than likely you'll be rejected at most places.

So here is what you do:
Pick a school (nearby) you'd like to do a MS at. Apply as a non-degree post-bac student. Get accepted (some have stricter requirements dome done). Only apply at places you'd be happy to do a MS at. Enroll as a post bac student. Take all your pre-reqs (your transcript will be fresh since it's at a new school assuming you don't attend the same one as you just did).

Do VERY well in those courses. Likely these will be intro to programming, discrete mathematics, data structures and so on. Meet with a professor there, and work with them.

Then apply. Even though you have shit grades you'll have a new transcript with presumably better grades in classes that actually matter.

In your SOP write how you matured etc and then you shouldn't have as much problems getting into that school's MS program.

Good luck.
>>
>>54451579
That's a bit reassuring :) The UE4 stuff is because I like doing random game dev things. its fun, and having been following the engine since UE3, I know some stuff.
>>
>>54451658
Good advice anon, I'm definitely looking at different schools in the area. I figured I will have to take some pre-recs
>>
>>54451594
Alright, I'll read more about them, thanks anon
>>54451569
Thanks for the read anon
>>
>>54451696
No problem. Keep in mind you'll have to pay for the courses you take. So cost is a consideration. These steps are a great way to get into a very good school, or the school of your choice if you go about it correctly and network. Obviously how you perform in these classes will matter much more than any classes you took in your degree program.
>>
>>54451718
True. I gotta show in my grades that I love the subject.
>>
>>54451006
Get a job and find a sponsor
>>
>>54451074
>Its programming

Then why the fuck would you want to do a CS masters degree? What's your mathematical background?
>>
>>54451279
Yeah thats what i was referring to, things like that with some good visualizations have landed people cool jobs.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.