[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the most stupid tech related post you've ever seen?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
Is this the most stupid tech related post you've ever seen?
>>
File: Capture.png (175 KB, 1310x283) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
175 KB, 1310x283
>>54449227
>>
>>54449378
Ebin
>>
>>54449227
DUDE RADIO WAVES LMFAOXD

Check his profile and see what other stupid things he has asked
>>
>leddit
leave 4chan.
>>
But whats the actual answer?
>>
Does it actually make it weaker?
>>
File: 1461891150415.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1429) Image search: [Google]
1461891150415.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1429
>>54449227
>>
>>54449473
Not the signal, but the router can only route so much
>>
>>54449455

Hint: Pretend you're tuned in and listening to 93.5FM, what do you think would happen if another station 1/2 a mile away started broadcasting a different show on 93.5FM as well?
>>
>>54449455
Radio stations are always broadcasting the same thing, and all those receivers are getting the same thing, whereas wi-fi has to deliver something different to each user, and the broadcast time needs to be split among all the connected users.

Think of Wi-Fi as if multiple radio stations were being broadcast on the same frequency from the same tower.
>>
File: 1454270707858.jpg (38 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1454270707858.jpg
38 KB, 800x533
>>54449473
yes because Radio Towers have jiggawats of power while a home router runs on simple watts.

You could OC the radio ship to output more power but you risk blowing the tiny transformers inside the router itself. Multiple routers side-by-side broadcasting the same connection on the same frequency would work too.
>>
>>54449455
>>54449473
The real, correct, technical answer is CSMA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_sense_multiple_access
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_sense_multiple_access_with_collision_avoidance
http://uninformed.org/index.cgi?v=5&a=1&p=10

Air, like Ethernet before layer-2 switching, is a shared medium. When multiple nodes send data simultaneously, the frames (air waves) might collide.
To prevent collisions, nodes listen to a channel and only send when the channel is idle. Other wireless technologies than 802.11 might also use RTS/CTS, which involves sending small Request To Send packets, and only sends data when a Clear To Send packet is recieved. This adds too much overhead for 802.11, though, so it's not used. Physical Carrier Sense is used instead.

More devices on a channel means less idle time for the radio frequency, thus your node will send and recieve data less frequently.
AM/FM radio is different because it's a one-way broadcast. No other node is going to interfere with the signal you're getting, because everyone are recieving, nobody are sending.

>>54449534
>yes because Radio Towers have jiggawats of power while a home router runs on simple watts.
That's not the point. Put a powerful jammer on the road, tune it into the same frequency as some radio station and they won't hear shit but noise when they drive past your jammer.
>You could OC the radio ship
wat
>but you risk blowing the tiny transformers
>tiny transformers
WAT
>Multiple routers side-by-side broadcasting the same connection on the same frequency would work too.
this has to be bait. nobody can be this fucking dumb.
to make sure nobody does such a stupid mistake, they'll be interfering each other if you leave them on the same channel (frequency). 1, 6 or 11, never put 2 adjacent access points on the same channels.
https://documentation.meraki.com/@api/deki/files/1736/=be005f42-a201-461e-ba65-80428c405589?revision=1
>>
>>54449534
No, a radio tower just transmits, do more power means more range, wifi transmits and receives so the bottleneck is the routing of data

As for cell towers, they are akin to massive routers and they have a cap which is shared by all connected
>>
>>54449378
>>
File: 1460904423627.jpg (80 KB, 625x478) Image search: [Google]
1460904423627.jpg
80 KB, 625x478
>>54449227

>4000 people explaining to 1 retard how WiFi works like he's a 5 year old
>>
>>54450944
Wasn't the guy just refering to bandwidth though
>>
>>54450996
ELI5 is seriously the dumbest thing I can ever think of.

>explain to me how wifi works, but I don't want any technical details that might pique my interest, I only want to be spoonfed dumb facts every CCNA learns from a book

>>54451031
directly correlated.
less packets send/recieved = less bandwidth. didn't think I needed to explain this.
>>
>>54449227
https://rbt.asia/g/thread/S47497724#p47500441
>>
>>54451053
I mean the guy probably wondered why the bandwidth is shared between the network machines, be they wired or wireless.
>>
>>54449516
>broadcast time
Not time. If you divide the frequency spectrum between clients, you can have simultaneous communication channels. It's called Frequency Division Multiplexing.
>>
>>54449227
no. it is a perfectly fine question for normal people.
>>
>>54451127
but I just answered that damnit

>be they wired or wireless.
bandwidth is not shared between machines on a switched network
there's a specific term for that, Shared Medium. for wired networks it hasn't been relevant since before MAC-based switching.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_medium

>I mean the guy probably wondered why the bandwidth is shared
>less packets send/recieved = less bandwidth. didn't think I needed to explain this.
More nodes sending packets = more idle time for everyone else = less bandwidth for all
That is how the bandwidth is shared. Everyone spends more time idling, waiting for the channel to be clear.
>>
>leddit
That site itself is stupid. Stop breathing if you browse that shit.
>>
What the shit is this thread? This is a new low for weekend /g/
>>
>>54449455
>>54449473
Nice bait, you can stop posting any time now
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.