[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arch crapped out on me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: arch-linux-logo.png (19 KB, 383x321) Image search: [Google]
arch-linux-logo.png
19 KB, 383x321
How is it possible in 2016 that wireless connections would simply stop working on Arch from one day to the next, without any updates being applied, no hardware failure (works fine on Windows 10) and nothing being installed whatsoever.

What the fuck?

Also, which distro should I run to? I love the packaging and update system on Arch, and how lightweight I can have my system (no recommended bloat as in Ubuntu/Debian).

But I absolutely hate the fact that it craps out randomly and just stops working for no reason.

Thanks
>>
>>54446035
Unfortunately these kind of things happen when you use "bleeding edge" software. Shit just breaks with no explanation because it's buggy.

>Debian is bloated

If you say so. I run Lubuntu and use about 300MB RAM while idle, 850MB RAM while web browsing. Not as low as Arch, but I certainly wouldn't call it "bloated"
>>
I had the same problems with several distros, including ubuntu and arch. So far debian has been fine lets hope it continues
>>
>recommended bloat

Oh you mean all the shit Debian has that prevents it crapping out randomly...
>>
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>54446035
Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora netinstall.
>>
>>54446035
That's why arch is a meme distro
>>
>>54446111
Trips of truth.
>>
>>54446142
It's OK, I love you anyway.
>>
>>54446035
Time to buy gentoo
>>
Not gonna be an arch hater. fun distro. but that s hit does happen on arch lol. not too often but it dos. it may get fixed quickly. but ya know. without internet. grrr
>>
>>54446035
>chrome with lots of extensions
>docky WITH a compositor

>767MB used

jeez this shit sure is bloated
>>
>>54446254
>>54446187
I've been using arch for 4 years now and never once had something go wrong
>>
>>54446272
Are you saying that Arch, which is a self-described bleeding edge distro, is as stable as Debian? Because that's objectively wrong.

I guess you can only judge by your own experience though. Luckily the rest of us can view the evidence of the rule rather than the exception.
>>
>>54446308
I didn't even say anything close to that you fucking retard.
>>
File: 424601.jpg (11 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
424601.jpg
11 KB, 251x242
Why not ask for a refund?

Oh wait...
>using linux
>>
>>54446035
>>>/g/fglt
>>
File: linus_angry.jpg (18 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
linus_angry.jpg
18 KB, 250x250
>>54446319
how dare you call me a fucking retard on the internet.
>>
>>54446334
Torvalds is just as much of a faggot as you are
>>
>>54446327
Holy shit.
He's actually implying having to spend money on an OS is a good thing.
>>
File: PISSED_BLACK_WOMAN.jpg (118 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
PISSED_BLACK_WOMAN.jpg
118 KB, 1024x768
>>54446349
How dare you call me a faggot on the internet. Don't you know that words have meaning, and they hurt? You're just a bully.
>>
File: 731921.png (25 KB, 310x326) Image search: [Google]
731921.png
25 KB, 310x326
>>54446368
You get what you pay for.
>>
Because it's an unstable timesink made that way on purpose to keep unemployables busy by giving them a psuedo project to "work" on lest they infect forums with their presence.

You've obviously fallen for the meme because when this happened to you, it interrupted your workflow or whatever. But for a real arch turd, he would have said "looks like I'm fixing my wireless today" because his schedule is always open.

Your attitude doesn't match up with the distro - This is a GOOD thing. Install Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, etc now, to keep your job and make your time have worth.
>>
>>54446272
You must have a very simple distro with basically no packages installed if it hasn't broken on you yet.
>>
All right, OP here. I'm going with Debian and good old xfce.

It's been years since I've used vanilla Debian.

Thanks everyone.
>>
FreeBSD
>>
>>54446035
debian sid with wicd-gtk and DE/WM of your choice

light, stable, and simple
>>
There's almost no reason to not use Debian these days, especially considering how easy it is to upgrade graphics card drivers with smxi.

I use stable and haven't had to touch a single thing for months. It literally just works, and there's literally nothing wrong with using a program that's a few decimal points behind the current if it still does its job fine.
>>
>>54446756
debian is the only linux i bother with these days
>>
File: 1460576824784.jpg (253 KB, 1080x1283) Image search: [Google]
1460576824784.jpg
253 KB, 1080x1283
>APT
If you intend to recommend garbage to people you could at least have the decency to recommend Windows so they can at least play their videogames
>>
>>54446931
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>54446842
>There's almost no reason to not use Debian these days

you could catch suicide
>>
>>54446035
Every fucking netinstall distro in the world
>>
this is bait
>>
>>54447155
OP here. I asure you it's not. I absolutely love Arch, especially pacman/AUR and the way the filesystem is laid out. I think it makes much more sense than Debian's layout for instance.

But I can't work with it. Once in a while I'll sit at the studio, fire it up and find out I have to loose all morning fixing something.
>>
>>54446965
Do you really expect him to be able to answer? Probably some 13 year old fuckhead who installed "Linux" yesterday

Most veteran users wouldn't even be able to tell you the pros and cons of different package management systems, let alone even knowing how many there are, but oh no, this fucking nobody who can't even write a fucking bash script sure knows! You can tell by the amount of arguments he gave!
>>
>>54446965
Nothing. Apt is fantastic
>>
>>54447203
Are you updating every day?
>>
>>54447355
Once a week more or less. The thing is, how am I supposed to know when shit's gonna break?
>>
Funny how you Linux niggers always say it's so great but it ain't.
Meanwhile Windows works
>>
>>54447410
Are you 13? I'm no "Linux" or "Windows" nigger. I use Linux and Windows at home, Linux and OS X at work. I have an iPhone and two Android tablets.

Console wars are for children like yourself. Adults use the right tool for each job.
>>
>>54447377
That was my point, you don't know.
If you were updating every day I was going to suggest updating during a time when you will have time to fix it in case it does break.
But since you are doing that, I don't know to say. I haven't heard about much breakage that doesn't happen as a result of updating.
>>
>>54446035
>can't into linux, tries arch
>blames arch

it explicitly say is not for you on the wiki
also quitter, just give up linux already
>>
ITT, babbies who couldn't figure out a simple OS

OP, no clue what hte fuck you're doing, sounds like some networking script you're using is fucking up with shit. Since you clearly don't know what you're doing, try using a typical wireless network manager and not your own bandaid solution
>>
>>54447543
I've been using it for almost 20 years now mate...
>>
>>54447543

How can you know that OP has no knowledge of Linux?

Stop being so salty m8
>>
>>54447579
I was using NetworkManager. Suddenly it started spawning twice at a time and segfaulting instantly.

I haven't messed up with any units. Not even updated or installed any packages.

Anyway, I'm going to go now. Thanks for your time.
>>
>>54446965
It works fine as long as you don't use it.
It's devs are not very concerned about it's security, it was the last package manager of the linux world to get package signing, a critical security feature, like 8 fucking years behind everyone else.
It's dependency resolver is absolute garbage especially when you're removing stuff.
It attempted to remove half of my OS a few times before I gave up on it.

Frontends to it keep different databases of packages marked as installed, remove something with apt-get, aptitude will install it again.
That's indian-tier incomptetency.

Still requires manual metadata update
Unable to resolve dependencies when installing from a local filesystem on its own (requires additional tools)
It fails to perform an update between releases and leave shitload of garbage behind.
Plugin support nowhere to be seen.

debs being absolute unstandardized clusterfuck where everyone packages in it's own way is another thing.

>>54447339
>Probably some 13 year old fuckhead who installed "Linux" yesterday
>but oh no, this fucking nobody who can't even write a fucking bash script sure knows! You can tell by the amount of arguments he gave!
Good projecting friend.
Frustrated Debianfags getting all defensive about their garbage distro is one of my favourite things on /g/.
Archfags used to bear the infamous name of the most cancerous group among linux users.
But for the past few months debianniggers caught up a lot of distance. Good for you i guess?

>Most veteran users wouldn't even be able to tell you the pros and cons of different package management systems,
That's not true, if you were in any way experienced, you'd know that.
dpkg/APT has no reedeming quality other than it's popularity (which in return means bigger package availability).
But it doesn't matter on debian since most DEBs are actually packaged for ubuntu.
>>
>>54446035
>wifi defeats another lincuck
>>
>>54446035
>Also, which distro should I run to? I love the packaging and update system on Arch, and how lightweight I can have my system (no recommended bloat as in Ubuntu/Debian).
Gentoo.

>But I absolutely hate the fact that it craps out randomly and just stops working for no reason.
You haven't explained anything about your internet setup, drivers, recent commands or updates or much of anything so I'm going to assume this happened on your own accord because you're dumb. But gentoo does have a significantly better package management and multilib system, and with OpenRC and its implementation of dhcpcd hooked into wpa_supplicant (all on the gentoo wiki but it's really about 4 commands) you can have a flawless wifi setup as long as your drivers are working.

Gentoo is far better put together than Arch and the devs actually care to put together a good list of kernel sources and profile lists to sync your portage tree and setup your OS to. They mask unstable packages so you know when an emerge might be breaky. Eselect is also gods gift to man.
>>
>>54447646
>botnet enslaves another wincuck
>>
>>54447580
you probably skip something, or network-manager failed, just use netctl

- cp /etc/netctl/examples/wireless-wpa /etc/netctl/
- vim /etc/netctl/examples/wireless-wpa
edit to your wifi
-netctl start wireless-wpa
use systemd to enable it if you want

or

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/
>>
>>54447700
>netctl
don't use that either you're just telling him to go from shit to worse

use dhcpcd. Also

>arch
>20 years
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.