[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people on this board so autistic about not having any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x2592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x2592
Why are people on this board so autistic about not having any icons on their Desktop?

It's simply the most convenient way of storing often used files
>>
I find typing equally convenient when it comes to oft-used files. I don't keep my desktop perpetually empty though. It's where I put things that are currently in use, like a text file I'll be consulting and editing all weekend. Once that activity is over I'll store it away. It works just like my physical desk's surface.
>>
>>54427370
>Why are people on this board so autistic
i think you have your answer
>>
>>54427370
Storing in folders with a shortcut in the start menu/whatever is just as convinent and not nearly as much of a sloppy mess.
>>
File: 1453380599754.jpg (49 KB, 373x327) Image search: [Google]
1453380599754.jpg
49 KB, 373x327
>>54427450
>caring about mess
>>
>>54427415
absolutely this.
>>
>>54427370
win key + typing is faster for me
>>
>>54427370
I don't have anything on my desktop, but my /home is a mess because I toss everything in there.
>>
File: Non-Non-Biyori-3.png (482 KB, 800x449) Image search: [Google]
Non-Non-Biyori-3.png
482 KB, 800x449
>>54427462
>Everything I don't care about is autism
>>
>>54427370
>using a GUI to access files
>>
File: 1445452590112.png (193 KB, 800x796) Image search: [Google]
1445452590112.png
193 KB, 800x796
>>54427525
>he takes pride in having empty desktop
>>
>>54427541
Not him, but he's got a point
According to you anyone who does organizes anything(be it clean work environment or desktop) is autistic, I think you should head back to /v/
>>
>>54427565
In fairness to his point, organization for organization's sake might have more to do with compulsion than sense. Isn't there a point where the practical benefits of organization have diminished to zero? And isn't that point far, far earlier along on a computer?
>>
Depends on the environment.

Some environments (like gnome3) don't have desktop icons by default (desktop directory still exists, but it's not presented on the Desktop)

I've found that the most efficient way of making use of desktop are putting files which you are/will actively working on.
A text file, formatted document, image maybe.
As soon as the work is done, the files are moved where they belong, so I don't have to look for them.

Back in the days when I was using Windows I accessed explorer through "My Computer" so the structure of C:\Documents and Settings\<user> directory was confusing and always ended up making a grand mess of my Desktop.

Through experience with Linux I learned to use the "Libraries" shortcut to access my files in a fashion similar to gnu/linux's "home directory"
>>
I like my desk being clean & professional.
>>
File: desk.png (29 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
desk.png
29 KB, 1366x768
Because having folders all over the top of your desktop is more convenient than neatly storing them in the drawers, right?
Desktop is for files you'll be using temporarily. Then you archive them, or delete them.
>>
>>54427692
forgot your fedora dog :^)
>>
My desktop doesn't support icons, 99% of the time the root window isn't showing so even if I had them they would be useless.

Its bad design.
>>
I just take a no-bullshit approach.

I don't want to avoid desktop icons just for the sake of it and waste time doing so, because some things are just stored easily on the desktop.

But once I'm done with them I delete or store them somewhere safe.
>>
>>54427692
Dumb tripfag.
>>
i keep a row or two
>>
>>54427370
But then you have to organise them into groups/rows etc. and agonise over which are necessary and the whole thing turns into an irritating mess
>>
File: desktop.jpg (465 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
desktop.jpg
465 KB, 1360x768
I KNOW RIGHT, FUCKING AUTISTS
>>
File: herald-messy-desk.jpg (36 KB, 390x293) Image search: [Google]
herald-messy-desk.jpg
36 KB, 390x293
>>54427370

>Why do some people insist on having a completely clean and organized desktop?

>It's simply the most efficient way of keeping huge piles of paper all over the place and generally looking like a fucking slob.

>>54427415 has the right idea. It's called a desktop for the reason above. That's the metaphor that works best. Keep current files folders you need for quick access for whatever project you're working on. Then move it elsewhere once you're done. Otherwise you're doing the equivalent of pic related.
>>
>>54429202
>ptsc.rar
>>
>>54429202
triggered
>>
>>54427370
It's really not.

When dumping stuff on the desktop, people tend to "forget" to clean up and end up with a clusterfuck mess in which it's impossible to find things. cleaning up a messy directory is like cleaning a dirty room, better to exert a little extra effort and maintain it clean.

When starting a project, care should be taken to choose a thoughtful directory name, in a sensible hierarchy, by doing this order is maintained and it becomes easy for one to find their way around the directories because it is somewhat logical.

I might not be important if you don't do much on a computer, but shit adds up. Keep a folder lying around called randomcrap or something for quick stupid things.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.