[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been using Fedora for the past 3 years, I'm looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: fedora-logo-100528469-large.png (61 KB, 580x388) Image search: [Google]
fedora-logo-100528469-large.png
61 KB, 580x388
I've been using Fedora for the past 3 years, I'm looking for something better, maybe openSUSE, any recommendations?

Its just so easy to download an rpm and install it, how does one install stuff on openSUSE?
>>
>>54424950
Install gentoo
>>
File: 2086660-1314803244975.jpg (50 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
2086660-1314803244975.jpg
50 KB, 960x600
>>54424971
>>
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:One_Click_Install
>>
You can use RPM, but YaST and zypper is the openSUSE way.
>>
>>54425056
Does zypper have repos? Forgive my ignorance.
>>
After using fedora for 3years I switched to debian testing, It's pretty good so far, you can install .deb files as easily as an .rpm.
One annoying thing on fedora is the official repos, there is no non-free repo, if you need special driver you have to use rpm-fusion or grab the rpm for the web.
I had problems with my wifi driver (broadcom) every now and then afet r an update the kernel module doesn't wan't to compile, even with dkms module.
On debian they have a non-free repo, dkms works all the time, the wifi does not vanish anymore after update.

Never try opensuse so I can't judge, but every benchmark I saw opensuse was last, if someone can explain that... I know benchmarks don't mean a lot but still, it's weird.
>>
>>54425098
Yes.
>>
>>54425157
>but every benchmark I saw opensuse was last
you mean those benchmarks that tested the beta version of opensuse leap?
>>
>>54425180
Dunno I didn't check the setup, you can find some on phoronix
>>
you will like fedora most as its very bleeding edge
>>
>>54425326
>phoronix
yes, they used the beta version and different filesystems; others used ext4, opensuse leap beta used btrfs/xfs
>>
how good is fedora if you include the RPM Fusion repos?
>>
>>54425448
almost as good as windows 10 at peeping
there's a reason it comes with selinux and without a firewall out of the box :)
m'lady
>>
i have been using fedora for 3 years, thats until I switched to mackintosh a month ago.
>enjoying the superior polished unix experience
>not associated with neckbeards anymore
>>
>>54426127
hackintosh* damn auto correct
>>
>>54424950
>I'm looking for something better
What exactly is wrong with Fedora?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.