[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anybody else think that mobile phones shouldn't have evolved
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 172x293) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 172x293
anybody else think that mobile phones shouldn't have evolved any further past say, 2006-2008?

i just think people (especially fucking womyn) use phones too fucking much.
>>
File: r24b3.jpg (4 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
r24b3.jpg
4 KB, 300x168
Yes brother! We can't even tip in peace anymore! LOL fucking WOMYN amirite??
>>
>>54423471
yes
>damn iphone
>>
>>54423471
big advances in technology are only made by big advances in demand
>>
>>54423471
No.
Modern phones are pretty much handheld computers, you can do almost anything with them.
Just because the majority of people don't use them for anything more complicated than posting selfies on facebook doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.
>>
>>54423471
I agree but only to a certain extent.

My phone has become a distraction more than anything and I don't even play games on it. On top of that, its expected that anything a PC can do, so can a smartphone, which means that anytime somebody asks me a question/for a file etc, I'm expected to see this message and reply immediately.
I sit down to work and get in the zone, I don't magically deliver work at any time of day.

Then there's the whole age of the interwebs, where every retard relies on google to an extreme extent now that its always at their fingertips. Makes people dumb because nobody reads to learn anymore.
>womyn use phones too much
I think they'd text and talk just as much with qwerty keyboards; remember the advent of blackberries? They only popularised the qwerty massively, it would have gotten there eventually once the womyns discovered qwerty keyboards and adopted them.

On the flip side, I do use my phone to learn a new language, read PDFs or web articles related to my work, keep track of my money so I don't impulse buy when I'm out, and for navigation.
It does useful things very quickly, but ultimately I could manage without if it wasn't so fucking expected that I have access to everything immediately.
>>
Anyone knows of a good J2ME emulator that would support the majority of the unofficial APIs (such as the Sony's MascotCapsule 3D API or the Siemens filesystem access API)? There is a curncopia of games and applications that are impossible to run now.
>>
>>54423471
Oh man. s60 was cool but so limited. They should have evolved, let me tell you why
> 2009, be 18
> final exams at highschool, entrance exams to uni
> dun goofed and fked up the only pc in home (P4 1.2 ghz fuck ye poorfag)
> had nokia 6630
> study everything from math, through my native language, physics and politics on opera mini in java
> there was always gameboy emulator, email and icq on in the background
It was 2009 and it was k. Most of the pages didn't really care about creating separate mobile themes so you just had scrapped down raw-text from their full versions. This required less than 20 MB of ram that my 6630 had, gameboy emulator had JIT compilation and ran like a beast, even gba emulator did that - on, again, 20 MB ram AND 300~ mHz cpu.

Fast forward 6 years
> every webpage has a shitton of styles which makes them dynamic, nice and readable on any screen size
> css is not a problem, even the old s60 phones keep up to this
> javascript took over the word
> cant browse internet comfortably on core2duo because javascript
> disable javascript and everything loads in 0,2s on pentium 4
> nothing works because muh angularjs, reactjs

Basically what I really believe that happend is that internet became the main driving force behind every consumer electronics. With new technologies came new requirements and, just like any other electronics, mobile phones had to keep up.
>>
>>54423471
No. I luv my smurtphone.
>>
>>54423471
youre retarded
>>
>>54423471
I had that phone, it was so fucking good
>>
>>54423691
Yeah me too anon. I once played snake for like 18 hours. Fucking Lagdroids don't have such games.
>>
I have never owned a mobile telephone, nor do I ever intend to own one.
>>
>>54423471
>i just think people (especially fucking womyn) use phones too fucking much.
back in 2006 2008 we used phones a lot as well but we just texted each other instead of browsing facebook.
>>
>>54423691
>>54423714
same
that fucking 3D snake game was amazing, is there anywhere I can play it again?
>>
>>54423663
I'm asking, because I get nostalgia fits and I'd like to replay some of the old J2ME games. There is <http://www.netmite.com/android/srv/2.0/getapk.php> that adds J2ME standard library .class files to the conbtents of a JAR archive and repackages them as an Android app, but it leaves a lot to be desired and is closed-source.
>>
File: FacebookDevil.jpg (47 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
FacebookDevil.jpg
47 KB, 300x300
>>54423471
it's not the phones' fault. It's because of social media (the true evil)
Social media are to blame for most bad things happening in western countries in this decade.
>>
Every time I try to get into smarphones I remember why I quit the last time and go back to my dumb nokia tiny brick.
Smart phones can do a whole lot of shit, but they suck at all of it and I have no reason to stand for the subpar experience.
I have a laptop, I have a music player, I have a camera. If I need them I have them with me.
The only thing a SM is good for is maps, and I know my city well enough that I only need to look up the place I'm going once I never get lost.
Evry time I get a smart phone I don't find use for the smart features, so I just go back.
>>
>>54423769
Probably not anon. I searched about running .sis on androids but apparently no one has done it. Computer emulators aren't fun.

These fucking mobile game these days make me sick. Hey and by the way did you try gravity defied on f-droid? Pretty much like the j2me version.
>>
i still use a nokia 515 as a phone and a smartphone as a "tablet"
>>
I only get hype about dumbphones.
I hope they try to go real small at some point.
>>
File: 2658633-5257751709-13377.jpg (110 KB, 350x377) Image search: [Google]
2658633-5257751709-13377.jpg
110 KB, 350x377
>>54423471
>people are doing whatever they want to do
how horrible.
>>
>>54424017
>>54423981
I wish there was a dumbphone with semi-decent camera. I take a lot of photos of notes/slides at work/conferences. I was actually thinking about going back to SE k800i just for the sake of camera.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>54424035
>whatever they want to do
just because advertising tricks sheep into thinking they "want" something doesn't mean it's a good thing
>>
>>54424038
sorry, both my dumbies are with no camera, you could go the CAT route, but I figure it has the same feature creep regular SP suffer from
>>
>>54423960
>Computer emulators aren't fun.
Can you even run it on a computer, though? I'm trying to find out how but I can't find anything.
>>
>>54423471
No, but I wish the market split a little more instead of everything becoming an iShit clone dumbed down for the lowest common denominator.

Old flagship handhelds really were pocket sized computers; fully expandable with standard buses like PCMCIA, full keyboards, and real operating systems that didn't treat you like a senile soccer mom.

Now the only difference between a flagship phone and some piece of shit Tracfone you can pull off the grocery store rack next to the latest scoop on Brad Pitt's secret bathtub abortion is "big numbers" and really not much else.

Also would have been nice to see a hybrid stylus/touch model instead of just touch interfaces dominating, to allow for denser, more feature rich but less space-wasting interfaces in "productive" applications like office suites but still allowing more room for convenience in applications like web browsing or text messaging

>womyn
Did you get lost on your way to >>>/v/?
>>
File: 1462583767956.jpg (72 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1462583767956.jpg
72 KB, 500x667
Why are white people so fucking cringe worthy?
>>
>>54423614
Unless you're using ios in which case, doesn't even have a file system.
>>
>>54424158
Idk. Even if there were one, I wouldn't use it. So I didn't bother to search.
>>
>>54424223
yes it does retard, it's just not accessible by the user unless the phone is jailbroken
>>
>>54423614
Except their input devices (whole one of the them) aren't designed for productivity. I only hope Blackberry will continue making phones.
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 800x926) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 800x926
i had this sexy mother fucker, miss it so much. now using an iphone 4s, been using it for 5 years.
the fact that phones have gotten so huge, that people feel like they HAVE to change them every year and that every where you go every one is looking at their phone bothers me
>>
>>54423614
>you can do almost anything on them
theoretically, the interface, the battery life and the tiny screen makes them unusable for most things.
they are a fashion gysmo, not a tool
>>
>>54424404
This was my handheld gaming device of choice. At the end of its lifespan, some of the community members managed to reverse-engineer the proprietary OS syscalls, so you could even compile and run ELF executables on it.
>>
>>54423471

>i just think
>think

You don't seem to be able to do it. Aside from that I do believe that N95 8GB is the best smartphone ever.
>>
>>54424549
it's weir how things change, when n95 came out i thought it was HUGE, now it's hard to find a phone as small
>>
>>54424606
Ikr, though for touch screens to be usable I think it needs to be somewhat larger, not any smaller than iPhone 4 imo.
>>
>>54424658
you're right. i love 4s's size, it's perfect. already dreading having to upgrade to an iphone se and that's just slightly bigger and still smaller than 95% of phones
>>
I look at my phone constantly in public while waiting because what else am I supposed to do?

Everyone else has their faces buried in their phones, so it's not like they are ready to engage in conversation. I don't want to just be staring off into space or looking at my feet.

The only thing I hate about smart phones is the shit battery life. Scientists need to find a way to make them last 4 days while at max usage, instead of 4 hours.
>>
>>54423619
You just gave me an idea. I simply will have 2 "phones" the one i can call people and write them texts. And a smartphone as pocket-pc for the stuff you mentioned. Gonna use a prepaid card and everytime I use the intternet i have to pay for it. Keeps me off from just using google too much
>>
>>54424845
That's pretty much my current set up, my dad does the same.

A dumb phone that lasts two to three weeks at a time and a smart one I use to dick around.
>>
Just ban phone posters from 4chan and the rest doesn't matter
>>
File: IMG_20160305_191217~01.jpg (2 MB, 4594x2384) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160305_191217~01.jpg
2 MB, 4594x2384
>>54423614
This
Phones are tools, nothing more than that.
Smallholder are great, they're basically handheld computers
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.