[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has /g/ ever built a mini ITX build? perhaps budget? Any guides
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
Has /g/ ever built a mini ITX build? perhaps budget?

Any guides or recommendations?
>>
I built one. i5-4460 and R9-290 with 8GB RAM. What do you want to know?
>>
>>54412801
eh sort of good builds that dont get too hot . my desktop ha sbene in storage for man ymonths sinc elost place. sadly it's way in back and I regret not grabbing it quick. also a 4460

Where I am right now I don't have much room but though I could do a mini ITX. How are temps in there? any special cooler oyu use or just normal CPU fan ?
>>
>>54412957
Temps aren't too bad. No special coolers, just the stock CPU fan. I don't have specifics right now though. Nothing to worry about temp wise on any games I've played so far.
>>
>>54412920
Not OP but I just built my first to use as a server. Im running 8GB of ram and amd quad core cpu on an msi board. I forget the name of both components because it was a random purchase last week. This CM elite 130 is really quiet though and was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade the cpu and mobo to intel and do some light gaming on it instead. Only problem is the 450 PSU and cable management is a bitch even with modular.
>>
>>54412999
what case and how many fans does it come with? my last question.

>>54413041
yeah I have a spare 16gb of sealed ram and thought about getting another i5-4460 in there and of course ssd. mild gaming. mostly just d3 and such

thanks for info guys. sust wondering about temps mostly I guess and cases
>>
>>54413041
>CM elite 130
Cas elooks legit. do you know exact size? says can fit 13.5 GPu but wondering. Doesn't say on newegg. Guessing 15inches?
>>
File: Picture 30.jpg (535 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Picture 30.jpg
535 KB, 1920x1080
currently in the process of making my own custom case. just picked up an sf600, now im figuring out how to use the extra space to move my hard drives and be able to cut off the 2 inch side area.

980ti and 6600k
>>
>>54413152
I'm at work right now but I remember on newegg it said it would fit gtx 970 I believe. It is pretty roomy and has the GPU right against a vent on the case. It fit my gtx 660 with probably 3 inches to spare maybe more.
>>
File: 1459851557192.jpg (127 KB, 460x454) Image search: [Google]
1459851557192.jpg
127 KB, 460x454
>CM Elite 130
I built my home server in that case. Would not recommend - the thing vibrated and buzzed constantly. I suspect that when designing it they figured that nobody would ever actually put an HDD in it. Pain to work on, difficult to cool. I eventually just made it into a pfSense box and used an ordinary ATX machine.
>>
>>54412801

>feel the burn of firewater as I drink to forget my failures

Amirite?
>>
>>54412801
It's a pain to work in, and for you the pain you suffer, you had better reap its only benefit: size, or it's pointless.

You don't need one unless you plan to travel with your PC, and pulling around an ATX case is fucking stupid.
>>
>miniITX
>budget

Nah, those things will cost more than a regular ATX build, but you're paying for the size advantage.
>>
>>54412801
Sg-08lite, i5, 380x chiming in. Super happy with it, no noticeable temp issues, quiet 85+℅ of the time. Those mobos are small as fuck tho, but how often do you really have to work on your system?

The advantage is you don't have an huge atx machine. The price difference is way overblown, you can have whatever price, whatever size system: it's up to you.

Case choice does seem important in regards to the whole temp issue.
>>
>>54413615
>The advantage is you don't have an huge atx machine
how much of an advantage is that though? It's not exactly hard to fit an ATX midtower under your desk.
>>
File: 1461346811580.png (93 KB, 467x496) Image search: [Google]
1461346811580.png
93 KB, 467x496
>mfw N8tives would be pronounced with a "tt" sound
You can't even get leetspeak right.
>>
My next server will be
>8 cores, 32GB RAM, 16TB storage, all in a little cube
I can't wait
>>
>>54413692
The advantage us personal and aesthetic. I don't want to have to look at a tower. The 90's are dead and gone. My PC is small enough to fit on top of my desk, and still be quiet, still be out of the way, and not "dominate" the area like a atx would. PC on the floor? Disgusting.

Are you really that autistic to not understand why someone would have a need for a smaller machine?
>>
>>54413929
Xeon 1540 is my unjustifiable need right now anon.
>>
>>54413998
No, I don't understand it, actually. It's just smallness for smallness's sake. It's like paying more or going to more trouble to buy a smart car instead of a four-door sedan with the same mileage. Why bother, even if you don't need the extra space?
>>
>>54414018
I'm going for an Atom C2750
>>
>>54414052

I could say the exact same about atx : large for the sake of large. It's all a personal choice what size appeals to you. You are autistic enough to not understand someone else's opinions and feelings on why mitx is appealing. Everything in computing has shrunken dramatically, why not cases? I always get the feeling people look at a tower and equate size with performance, and that's just not the case. Large cases just didn't appeal to me whatsoever. 95% look like teen gamer crap.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.