[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember 3D printers? What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 29
File: 3D-Printer-Edit2.jpg (82 KB, 1083x728) Image search: [Google]
3D-Printer-Edit2.jpg
82 KB, 1083x728
Remember 3D printers? What went wrong?
>>
>>54411204
>What went wrong?
Nothing.
>>
They're useless.
>>
File: 1358740615013.png (7 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1358740615013.png
7 KB, 400x400
So far the ones I've seen just print cheap, shitty looking plastic things that are just proofs of concept and serve no actual purpose

When I can print things that I need and not have to order them online or go into a store to buy them is when 3D printers will actually practical and desirable instead of a fringe hobby for people with too much money.
>>
The only big criticisms I have about them are awareness and time rental availability. They're great but people just don't think to use them, don't know how to get their hands on free models and have trouble finding places where they can use one for a quick job.

For many it wouldn't be economical to own one but getting access to print a part in 30 minutes would be awesome. I think it'll get there eventually.
>>
>>54411204
Something went wrong? I am prepping to buy one myself so all seems good from my view.

Why are you so unimaginative and poor that you do not see value in them? It must suck to be you.
>>
>>54411309
Wew lad, calm down.
>>
>>54411309
Give an example where it would be useful than.
>>
>>54411309
>so unimaginative and poor
We have way better materials than liquid plastic to design anything we want and we don't burn money on useless shit. Happy, faggot?
>>
>>54411204
Make a cheap one that prints metal as strong as harden steel and I'd buy it
>>
>>54411261
>For many it wouldn't be economical to own one but getting access to print a part in 30 minutes would be awesome.
The plastic filament jobs are affordable enough now but everything I'd want to print really needs to be metal (bike parts, etc). Useful enough to test how stuff fits I guess (before having it made at much greater expense out of metal) or make a form for covering in glass mat/carbon fibre maybe

If it was easy to get at one of the scary metal printers there'd be a lot more cool shit we could do

That said, I'll probably buy one of the cheaper units for my son in a few years just to see what he comes up with when left to mess around with it
>>
>>54411204
>What went wrong?
People got tired of making keyrings and desk ornaments?
>>
>costs a fuck ton
>only prints pieces of plastic shit
>takes ages to print anything worthwile

it's shit
>>
It's like how computers were in the 70s. Give it time to mature, I'm sure most of us want to download cars and print them.
>>
Same what happened to VR. Too early for mass market. This shit is better for now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlKT7SY
>>
>>54411755
Fucking robot shits
>>
>>54411309
> spending more money and time reproducing unusable parts in the real world
>>
File: tumblr_o0a96eHmcr1uzwhhko2_1280.jpg (141 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0a96eHmcr1uzwhhko2_1280.jpg
141 KB, 1280x768
Is it worth it if I 3d model anime babes?
Can I print off sexy women and have it look decent?
>>
>>54412304
There was a full-color printer that used paper. Wait for that to be affordable.
>>
>>54412331
I'm interested. What's the name?

I doubt I can afford it but it'll be fun to fantasize about.
>>
File: 1461305859491.jpg (80 KB, 979x538) Image search: [Google]
1461305859491.jpg
80 KB, 979x538
Peachy Printer Best Buy Edition!
>>
>>54412344
Mcor Iris was the one I heard of. The printer is probably super expensive, but the material is just a roll of any paper and an inkjet cartridge.
>>
>>54411395
>Printing a housing for a prototype you made.
>Printing new parts for stuff no longer on sale
>Tinkering with a machine and making it work
>Making PCB masks by attaching a laser
>Prepping PCBs by adding a solderpaste extruder
>Warming your burger on the heatbed
>Create perfect replicas of your dick as a gift to random people.
>>
File: 1440199149322.jpg (345 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
1440199149322.jpg
345 KB, 576x1024
>>54412421
>>54412331
>>54412304

How about this- is there a printer suitable for making good quality solid color plastic anime girl figures? Something like pic related

I can get into airbrushing and painting figures (there is already a community for this)

Would that be viable?
>>
>>54412509
Probably only those liquid resin ones or the powder based ones. Those PLA makerbots and whatnot certainly won't have the required resolution.
>>
>>54411395
I have designed 6 custom items that I need that I cannot purchase. The only way to get them is to make them myself. This is better than trying to carve shit out of wood or buying the equip to work with metal.

Like I said. If you can't think of shit to use it for..do not blame the product..blame yourself.
>>
>>54411204
Hype train, too soon.

Imagine a slightly less usefull inktjet printer for 50 times its current price. Now if Job's was still alive we might have all had iPrints by now.
>>
>>54412509
>>54412630
Resin can but it might still leave very subtle lines. If you don't mind working with resin (which is highly toxic), you can have your anime girls.

That said, almost all garage kits except the best need significant work, so it's not like you're only going to be working with resin if you print them. If anything resin printer parts might have better quality consistency than mass produced casts from a HK sweatshop worked by 3 guys, a kid, and a midget.
>>
>>54411502
I guess it's more reasonable on the wallet if you use it for creative stuff, but the handful of things I print every year are for practical purposes. Replacing broken parts, new brackets/handles, custom face plates, etc. Nothing as demanding of durability as your stuff though.

It's going to take me years to hit the break even point on buying a printer myself. If I end up wanting one then, I'll finally splurge on something nicer than I could get today anyway.
>>
File: tumblr_ns5evw2xdY1sqqtwzo7_540.jpg (239 KB, 520x600) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ns5evw2xdY1sqqtwzo7_540.jpg
239 KB, 520x600
>>54414148
If I make just one (and sculpt interlocking parts) I would be able to 3d print originals and silicone-resin cast multiple copies I can sand/paint.

It seems more cost effective than 3d printing every single time. I'd probably want to sell some for profit eventually.

Using sanding, epoxy, putty, whatever, I think I can make high quality anime babes. Mistakes can be fixed if there is a printing/casting error.

Also just how toxic is resin?
>>
>>54411204
They are not mainstream for the masses yet, I don't want people to think I'm a nerd.
>>
I know a guy in my uni's robotics department who uses 3d printers constantly to make specialty hardware parts which he wouldn't be able to buy elsewhere.
It's an extremely useful device, but still pretty esoteric because the only people who can use them
>need a very specific reason to use one
>need knowledge on 3-d modeling

They're biggest flaw is that they're too niche, but this can be said for the early days of the computer, too.
Already, we've seen developments to make larger, more complicated objects, with harder to work with materials. Even now, you can buy a printer (even though it's tiny) for $300, which was fucking unheard of a few years ago.
I see big things in the future.
>>
I'll buy one when a big brand like Phillips or whoever make it easy for the average consumer, I want stuff at the press of a button without spending hours in a CAD suite.
>>
>>54414625
You can already make use of the hours that other people spend by downloading the free models they make available.
>>
I found a guy locally that does 3D printing on the cheap. When I need a prototype, I send him the STL files, and pick up the parts on the weekend.

I can't justify buying one for myself yet, but holy shit they're awesome for prototyping.
>>
>>54414643
Still too much effort, I want an official app that lets me browse for certified and approved designs. Each printout should have a nice big "print" button underneath it so I can print wirelessly from my smartphone (I hate wires).
>>
>>54411204
Normies got ahold of them and started preaching the whole "need a car?" "just 3d print it xDDDDDD" thing. They're excellent at their intended purpose: rapid prototyping.
>>
>>54414340
If you already have a vacuum pot for degassing the silicone and a pressure pot for pressure resin cast it's cheaper. If you don't you're wasting your money on subpar quality recasts.

Resin is pretty toxic and it's an immediate irritant. You don't want to breath in any of the residue. That said it'll probably be a few decades before you develop lung diseases or get kidney failure.
>>
File: 3500.jpg (88 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
3500.jpg
88 KB, 620x413
>>54411204
As someone who works in the industry I have to say that most people have completely wrong image about additive manufacturing. Either they think that 400$ fdm is going to do everything with very high quality or they say that the whole range of different additive manufacturing technologies is just a fad, faggots playing with toys. Different technologies have their own niches where they shine and even cheap fdm machines have their place in prototyping and small scale production. SLA's are good for precision and dentistry. Polyjets for multimaterial. PBF for strong Nylon and metal parts. DLP for speed and dentistry. Sandprinters to make molds. Paperprinter to demo products. Binder machines for architecture. waxprinters for casting and so on.

The hype around these machines was retarded. If you were a person who wouldn't have needed a cnc machine before why would you need a fdm printer all of sudden? For what purpose? These are tools, not toys, even though one can use them as such. There was something good about the hype also; there are new innovations coming almost every month pushing the boundaries of this technology and the machines get cheaper all the time.
>>
>>54414750
Does that mean garage kit otakus are all going to get sick on resin dust?
>>
The 3d printer is going to be among the most important inventions in human history, but it needs a bit more time to grow into that.
>>
>>54414863
Yes, except the japs. They can chain smoke while paint with highly flammable paints and somehow live to 100

Just wear a dust mask and clean your workspace frequently.
>>
>>54411204
The hype is over.
They are still around and being used. But fewer and fewer are sharing and showing what they print.
And even fewer make a big fuss about it.
Plus, cost is still high on materials and printers.
>>
>>54412366
Still waiting on my peachy
>>
the company i work for has two massive ones they use to make prototype parts, (brass fittings, pipe pieces, etc)
what they discovered is while its cool, its much easier to get a brass billet and run it on a lathe, programming it from a print and tool setup takes like an hour and the part takes about 20 seconds from start to finish

meanwhile the 3D printer takes 4 hours to warm up, and prints out the same part in another hour, then requires refining and when you're all done, you get a small plastic thing to hand to the customer

the customer prefers to see an actual piece of brass, so they can make suggestions on what it will be like in use

m3m3 tech mate
>>
>>54412747
what are these six custom items that you can't purchase? dildos?
>>
>>54414846
This guy knows his shit.
>>
>What went wrong?

The "maker community".
>>
>>54415623
>maker community

It started out so great. I even subscribed to Make: Magazine. Then it all went to hell so fast I don't even really know what happened or whom to blame.
>>
>>54416069
Blame Kipkay.
>>
I have a cheaper one and use it quite a bit for printing bootleg 40k figures and other tabletop shit, it's really nice for smaller stuff like that
>>
>>54412509
>>54414340
can you print softskin latex instead of plastic?
>>
>>54415568
>This damage control
>>
>>54411204
Nothing went wrong they print plastic pieces.
Thats what they where made for and thats what they do.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRE-PzI6uZA
>>
>>54411204

I remember watching this online vid on how they make commercial passenger plane engines. The new ones will be vastly more quite/fuel efficient.

The engineer shows a part and says it was 3D printed and is impossible to make using any other means. He can't even show you inside of it because there's no way to break it open.

That's when I knew 3D printing is the real fucking deal and here to stay.
>>
>>54423365
Metal laser sintering printers are however probably never gong to reach consumers. Since anti gun peeps will shit a brick when you can print stocks all day every day with nothing more than some powdered metal and a power supply.
>>
>retards STILL think 3D printing is good for manufacturing end products
>>
>>54423569
>retards STILL think 3D printing is good for manufacturing end products
In some cases it is.
>>
>>54411204
people expected too much out of them
>>
It's still relatively expensive
>>
>>54411395
>Give an example where it would be useful than.
Cheap prototypizing
Dentist stuff

3d Pronters are invaluable for one thing, when you need ONE unique thing.
Like you made blueprints for a device and want to see a prototype and look at it in flesh/plasic before you order 100000 pieces of it machined from chinks.

They are the retardest to use for mass production.
The are the very best mean of single production.
>>
>>54423721
>people expected too much out of them
People are stupid.

But people in general don't mattrer. While retard expected technological singularity to arrive with advance of 3d printers and are now sad the people who do matter found a great application for 3d printing and are fucking happy with them

3d printers are for prototypes and small quantty production .

If you want chinks to make a dragon dildo for you they will make a super expensive cast mold and it will not be prfitable unless you're making then im thousands.
If you have and idea for dragon dldo and want to try and test it before you ordered thousands of failed trash ones you can 3d print one or two, look at them, trash them and inprove your design.
>>
up
>>
What went wrong? It's widely used for prototyping. Just because it's not meant to be an Epson gadget in your basement doesn't mean it went wrong.
>>
unless you want utter shit you have to spend over 10000 dollars

after using an expensive 3D printer (over 500000) its hard to use a cheap one
>>
>>54414846
This.
3D Printers became household terms only due to normies not understanding what the fuck they're for
>>
Turns out you could instead just order pieces of cheap plastic in a certain shape form this place called China
>>
>>54411204
i have a friend who bought a $6000 butterfly labs printer and it took months and months to finally be delivered then when he got it.. it printed a grand total of 15 times before the resolution degraded to a point where it was unusable. butterfly labs said send it back for cleaning and recalibration but it would cost $1000 and take another 6 months because of back logs. holy fuck was that a waste of money.
>>
They already started to print whole houses. Nothing went wrong It's just in the hand of professionals who know what they are doing.
>>
>>54411204
Nothing, dumbass normies just saw reports of "makers" using 3D printers for quick prototypes in the news and overhyped it, assumed we would soon have printers making everything from furniture to food. It's a classic case of the media exaggerating reports in science (though in this case it's engineering/manufacturing instead of science).
>>
>>54425726
>butterfly labs
A scam company making asic miners.

Did you mean Formlabs? I have nothing bad to say about the form 2 that I've used but I heard that the first edition had some problems.
>>
>>54426015
ah yea form labs. i think it was the first edition one that started on kickstarter
>>
>>54411204
Nothing.
They're good exactly for what they are good for, they are still in development and already very useful, no matter what shiny gadget people will worship next.
>>
Nothing went wrong, they just aren't good or cheap enough to be beyond a gimmick for the average person. But I've worked on projects where entire warehouses or other large buildings are basically built out of giant 3D printed sections (sort of like lego), so they are getting used. You can put up the entire exterior of a massive warehouse in like 1-2 weeks with them, including leveling and pile driving n shit
>>
>>54423991
>They are the retardest to use for mass production.
Not exactly - although it of course is for most cases. You could have very complex things that you could print faster than you could mold them and fit together. The complexity of your task might move them up in usefulness for big numbers. But that's strongly depending on the task, and it's a lot of math to do to see what would be cheaper.
>>
>>54411204
The ones at the local fablab (a Makerbot 2 and a Witbox) are printing something every day, unless broken down. This amounts to a grand total of about 50% of time spent printing, 10% waiting and 40% broken down or in need of recalibration. Time broken down is only that long because somebody has to do it and it's rather tedious to fix.

>>54411260
With a bit of experience, useful prototype parts can be made and even a couple of structural parts.

>>54414846
This.
>>
>>54411261
You can literally go to a local UPS store here and print shit out.
>>
>>54425469
>unless you want utter shit you have to spend over 10000 dollars
Not really true anymore. The new companies are catching 3dsys and Stratasys at incredible speed now that the patents have expired. 2k€ Ultimaker or even a fine tuned reprap for example can outperform Stratasys dimension and uprint machines. Similar things are happening in the SLA and PBF/SLS. The prices of the machines are in a freefall.

>after using an expensive 3D printer (over 500000) its hard to use a cheap one
I have used expensive machines but not that expensive. IMHO all techniques even the expensive ones suck in their own special way.
>>
They were just a meme from the start. You can't do anything worthwhile with them.
>>
>>54421748
So you can't even tell us what they are?

Go get fucked you stupid cunt.
>>
>>54411239
This basically. It's a cool idea but very few people have a legitimate need for them. And then there's shapeways which prints 100x higher quality without upfront investment from you.
>>
>>54421748
Sorry he made you cry. I'm genuinely interested now, though.
>>
fsat ignorant plebs distributed the basis for muh big gun.

butthurt was raised.

mah printah are no more.

>us retardness, as usual
>>
>>54411260
I've only ever printed two things, but they were both really useful, a custom door stop with teeth to dig into the carpet and a pair of payload bay bulkheads. If you can't 3D model, you shouldn't be judging their usefulness use they're not a product meant for you.
>>
>>54423957
Both "than" and "then" are redundant.

Also, owning a consumer printer / mill / whatever is not necessary when you can use commercial services like Big Blue Saw.
>>
>>54427036
This basically makes them sound like moving trucks. It's cool that you can haul around a huge amount of stuff with only a standard driver's license but most of us rarely have a need for them. That makes ownership a dumb idea. But then there's U-Haul which owns and maintains those trucks without any upfront investment from us. It's great for people who use them but that doesn't stop some idiots from cramming a king mattress into their Honda Civic anyway. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with moving trucks though. Some people just don't think to use the right tool for the job.
>>
>>54411204

They still produce sub par quality so there's no piracy community influence yet or a reason for one.

Once there's something that can produce non-polygonal shit you can make retail quality figures with they'll sell themselves.
>>
>>54427537
>Both "than" and "then" are redundant.
>t. illiterate
>>
>>54411260
>So far the ones I've seen just print cheap, shitty looking plastic things that are just proofs of concept and serve no actual purpose
You're looking at the cheapest ones.
>>
>>54412366
I really want to fall for the Peachy meme but it looks flimsy as fuck.
>>
>>54411204
SpaceX use them to manufacture complex parts of their Merlin 1 rocket engine (of course not the plastic printer type).
It's very useful to manufacture parts with complex internal channels and voids that you could not manufacture with conventional milling machines (or molds).
>>
>>54427576
Care to elaborate? You just seem uninformed.
>>
>>54411204
can't print living waifus
>>
>>54423991
>When you need ONE unique cheap plastic thing.
>>
>>54428696
What is EOS?
>>
File: wtf_autodesk.jpg (155 KB, 1283x1233) Image search: [Google]
wtf_autodesk.jpg
155 KB, 1283x1233
Has Autodesk, in the entire history of their existence, ever not overcharged for their products?
>>
>>54429204
Old known brand vs a newcomer
Still the postcard sized bed makes the Ember ridiculous.
>>
File: 3d model tomb raider.png (724 KB, 448x796) Image search: [Google]
3d model tomb raider.png
724 KB, 448x796
it's fun to print figures
>>
>>54411502
which cheaper 3D printing, CNC-Machines became cheaper as well.
with on of those 400$ CNC machines, I assume you could build the entire bike yourself
>>
>>54425696
Turns out that I don't want to pay Communists for the privilege of them taking over my country, and enslaving me. China should be nuked, and traitors like you should be publicly executed for your crimes against your own kind.
>>
File: 1453007309986.jpg (30 KB, 851x233) Image search: [Google]
1453007309986.jpg
30 KB, 851x233
>>54412432
>Printing new parts for stuff no longer on sale
but can it print vanilla wow servers?
>>
>>54412432
Especially that last one.
I personally recommend that one.
>>
File: Game-Boy-Advance-Blk.jpg (3 MB, 3480x2360) Image search: [Google]
Game-Boy-Advance-Blk.jpg
3 MB, 3480x2360
How expensive/difficult is it to make decent quality plastic cases for electronics yourself? Something in a quality that you would expect from a good brand.
>>
>>54427497
>If you can't 3D model, you shouldn't be judging their usefulness
This is incredibly wrong and you're only using this to jerk yourself off for being able to model a fucking doorstop.

>hurrr if you can't make your own car you have no reason to drive
>>
>>54430858

The hard part is creating the 3D model. And an SLA printer would be my recommendation if you want something that feels almost as smooth as injection molded plastic.

>>54430865

so mad
>>
>>54430865
But he is right. If you can't 3d model/scan there is very little you can do with these machines.

>>54430858
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_B65J86D_8
>>
>>54411204

I hear they make pretty nice Nintendo NX controllers
>>
>>54431018
That fdm print looks horrible. Clearly a work of a "professional".
>>
>>54431103
>That fdm print looks horrible.

To be fair, the article where that appears is from 2012.
>>
>>54431018
That's what I mean with quality. Looks pretty cheap. I mean from what I understand 3D printing is more for making practical things you don't care the aesthetics of or prototyping. Also I wasn't talking about 3D printing only. Is it cheaper to injection mold something yourself or get it done? Will the latter even be possible for a single object? Are both too expensive?
>>
>>54430865
No, it's more like if you don't have a team to design a car there's no point in owning a factory that produces them.
>>
>>54431139
My repcrap shitted out better looking parts even back then.

>>54431152
Injection molding molds can be unimaginable expensive. If I remember correctly we got once a quote for about 30k€ for a semi complex mold.
>>
>>54430081
would hot glue melt it?
>>
>>54411204
>What went wrong?
people thought you could use them without skills or talent

i mean, technically, you can
but you're not going to get anything interesting out of it unless you're a handy person
>>
>>54431152
>Will the latter even be possible for a single object?

Yes.

>Are both too expensive?

Yes

Injection molding requires a lot of expertise and machinery in addition to the cost of creating the metal molds. It's hugely impractical for one-off items, but it's cheaper/faster/better for mass production.
>>
>>54431519
i work in tool and die
a small die for mag/aluminum can start at 100k
>>
>>54431557

Better?
>>
>>54431152

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seZqq1qxW30
>>
>>54431637
EDMing is not always required and some casting facilities dislike EDMing for the finish it leaves as it can quickstart cracks in the cavity inserts
>>
>>54431458
No

Both literally and pun intended
>>
How difficult is it to start making your own 3D models and printing something? Let's say I also have 0 drawing skills. Let's say I wanted to make a phone case for my phone for a start.
>>
>>54421748
>This down syndrome
>>
>>54431857
>How difficult is it to start making your own 3D models and printing something?
http://www.freecadweb.org/
Just try it yourself.
>>
File: 3d.jpg (118 KB, 628x472) Image search: [Google]
3d.jpg
118 KB, 628x472
>>
>>54423991
Then why buy a printer yourself instead of having something like a copy center for 3D Printers?
>>
I have a sudden urge to 3d print a 3d printer
>>
>>54411204
Nothing they were always meant to be toys for fat virgins living in their moms basements.

If you want to get a job done get a CNC.
>>
>>54411204
>what went wrong?

People like you bought them and decided to just make toys with them.

I've used my small desk one to replace all sorts of small pieces on things, make cases or stands for otherwise bare electronics, even printed since oddball tools to help me work.
>>
>>54434263

Hahahahaha. Look at you, being so fuckin naive about this shit.

I bet a significant amount of people in this thread don't realize the potential of additive manufacturing, nor do they actually know how product assembly works because they're fucking /v/tards who have never assembled anything more than a computer in their life.

Additive manufacturing has an enormous potential for applications of low volume and high complexity. Already the most expensive of printers are seeing full-fledged production jobs, and many hobbies are seeing 3D printing revolutionize the way things can be done. (Look, for example, at the Nerf community.)

Look at GE and how they're producing pumps and manifolds for their GE-9X jet engines. This is where 3D printers will see the "real work" that this faggot up here doesn't think they'll ever see.
>>
>>54412366
Can't wait for mine to show up.
>>
>>54416084
What's wrong with old kippy?
He was so good for a while. I mean, like 5 years ago before I stopped watching him.
Still dig out some of his old videos as a nice quick guide for my students if they're being lazy fucking shits.
>>
>>54435444
There's no a single thing a cnc router can't do that a 3D printer can do.
The difference is the router can work in material that is not junk.
>>
>>54434263
>If you want to get a job done get a CNC

Printers are CNC. That's how I became interested in them. I use a CNC mill at work occasionally, and wanted to learn more about CNC in general
>>
File: CLIP.png (586 KB, 1022x545) Image search: [Google]
CLIP.png
586 KB, 1022x545
>>54435578
Not even close.
>>
>>54414846
You seem pretty in the know and I hate posting in the cesspool that is stupid questions thread.

I'm just researching the purchase of a hobby grade printer. As an Ausfalian, I'd like to buy local and so far the only printer that seems widely available here is the da Vinci 1.0. As I've read up on it, it seems like a pretty decent beginner setup, albeit cheap build quality.

Basically, I'm looking for something I could buy here, or that is sub <1K AUD(About 760 USD) to import.

I'd be predominantly using it to make mounts for my bicycle, motorcycle and stuff to mount my phone and other shit I have in.

Any help would be welcomed.
>>
>>54412509
A trick to achieve this sort of detail is with any ordinary ABS plastic 3d printer:

1. Place your abs plastic print in a container that can withstand 80 degree celcius.
2. Coat the bottom of the container with small pool of acetone. Best results, place 3d plastic part above this pool (not submerged)
3. Heat container on 3d printer hotplate bed for 5 minutes at 80 degree celcius
>>
>>54435942
Mate buy a 2nd hand aldi 3d printer. They were amazingly accurate once you calibrated the thing.
>>
>>54435578
>there is nothing additive can do that CNC can't.
This is true. But in certain applications, 3D printing can do it better. The threshold of complexity for CNC is lower than that of additive manufacturing because there are certain shapes where cutting them to acceptable precision would take a significantly larger amount of time than just printing them for the ground up-or, in certain cases, can be flat out impossible.

Pic related, it's a 3D printed part- a compressor pressure and temperature sensor for GE90-94B jet engines. FAA certified. Try doing THAT with CNC. (Protip: you're gonna have a bad time trying.)

There are other advantages to 3D printed parts that CNC can't offer, such as semihollow structuring, which allows significantly lower material costs and weight compared to a comparable CNC'd part- perfect for prototyping non-structural parts or making one-off pieces on the cheap.

>the router can work with material that is not junk.

Nigga, you're dumb as a rock. Additive manufacturing processes can work with anything from biomass to titanium. See the part below.
>>
>>54435578
>There's no a single thing a cnc router can't do that a 3D printer can do.

make me a hollow ball (without seams/welding/adhesive) on a cnc router anon
>>
>>54435578
>cnc router
almost missed this
already its clear you don't know shit

a router is a 2D or 2.5D machine generally for cutting wood, composites, and solid surface materials

the comparable tech to a 3D printer is called a CNC ***MILL***, and you'd need a 4+ axis one to replicate any part made on a 3d printer with overhang or XY-concavity

and you still couldn't make a hollow ball, no matter hoe many axes in your machine
>>
>>54436041
>aldi had a branded 3d printer
>>
>>54411204
makerbot and similar early 3d printer companies went full jew and it really hurt the consumer/hobbiest/enthusiast market
>>
File: 6.jpg (190 KB, 680x960) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
190 KB, 680x960
>>54436371
Check this out mate.

They're not for sale in stores anymore, but hit up gumtree or ebay for second hand models that are excellent. I'll find an example of a print made with one
>>
File: boaty.jpg (697 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
boaty.jpg
697 KB, 1600x1071
>>54436371
this is the 3d print some redditor did with the aldi printer
>>
File: Takasaki Thumbs Up.jpg (41 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
Takasaki Thumbs Up.jpg
41 KB, 500x280
>>54436628
>>54436647
Holy fuck, I am hopping on this. Thanks for the info m8.
>>
>>54436223
>and you still couldn't make a hollow ball
Why the fuck would you need a hollow ball for?!
Or any hollow low quality plastic piece for that matter.

Consumer 3D printers are toys. CNC machines even if they're small can be modified to work with any material.

Also another retarded opinion I heard in the thread:
>but insert multi billion company has a 4 million $ 3D printer that is useful
Who gives a shit?!
>>
What about this meme technique?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3TgmvV2ElQ
>>
>>54436947
>Why the fuck would you need a hollow ball for?!
>Or any hollow low quality plastic piece for that matter.

anon, 3d printers aren't just plastic, it'ss not 1970

there are many uses for a hollow ball in engineering and machine design, and you can make one from sintered steel/bronze/titanium/whatever on a 3d printer.

Modern hip replacements are made exclusively with 3D printing for this reason, and are hollow in several places. Could not be done with CNC.
>>
>>54437007
>Modern hip replacements

almost forgot:
Invisalign (the futuristic no-hardware braces) are also only possible because of 3D printing, they vacuform biosafe plastic over FDM castings of the teeth
>>
>>54436707
You should also learn to 3d model with a free 3d program called "Blender3d"
>>
>>54436964
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0JDc9dooc1xATvMdG7MMLQ/videos

wew lad, much better.
>>
>>54437007
>there are many uses for a hollow ball in engineering and machine design, and you can make one from sintered steel/bronze/titanium/whatever on a 3d printer.
Yes. On a 4 million dollar metal printer (cheapest ones start around 250K). Who. Gives. A. Shit.

>Modern hip replacements are made exclusively with 3D printing for this reason, and are hollow in several places. Could not be done with CNC.

>hip replacement
>when we already know osteoporosis is caused by inflammation
For how long will the metal memehips be viable for? Couple more years tops.
>>
>>54437057
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpH1zhUQY0c
Hot.
>>
>>54437050
>blendermeme
>when autodesk fusion is free for hobists

Stallinman go away.
>>
>>54437089
Can't beat free for c use. I think he'll want to learn as a hobbyist then move to a pro
>>
>>54437073
>250K. Who. Gives. A. Shit.
people with money, anon.
sorry that's a foreign concept

and you rent time/jobs on a machine, not buy the machine upfront, unless you have investment reason to do so
>>
>>54437140
It's free until you make 100K $ of your models.
Let's be honest with /g/s programmer art that will not be a sum he'll make anytime soon.

So might as well consider it for a free app.
>>
Consumer ones are dumb, but we have a few at work and they're useful for making quick, tangible 3D models for clients
>>
>>54437007
Yea, but who the fuck gets hip replacements? None of my friends ever had. It's always old, clumsy fucks, who are just a burden on society anyway. I don't see how this is supposed to be useful at all.
>>
>>54437218
I didn't realise there was the $100k limit.
>>
>>54411260
You can print things that you need real easy.

You're just such a boring person that you never have anything that you need to print.
>>
>>54436947
>>54437073

>muhmuhmuhmuhmuhcost!

Hey faggot, keep running with those goalposts. A good CNC machine ain't cheap either.

Of course, since you're just some brand-loyal neckbeard posting shit from your Ganoo-Leenucks computer, and not someone who has actually taken the time to learn this shit, you probably wouldn't know that.

You tried to paint all of additive manufacturing like the whole sector was MakerBot. You were wrong. Admit it, then actually look at the technology from a manufacturer's perspective rather than whatever the fuck your half-baked brain seems to have come up with. You'll see what's what then.
>>
>>54437888
Stop shitposting
>>
File: a.jpg (39 KB, 458x323) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
39 KB, 458x323
>>54437898
Is that all you've got to say? Aww, how disappointing.

Stop being retarded and maybe I will.
>>
>>54411495
My university has one. But it cost like $1.2 million or something.
>>
>>54437888
>A good CNC machine ain't cheap either.
You could buy four full size, production CNC mills plus all the tooling and still have enough left over to go on a coke and hooker binge for what a metal printer costs.
>>
File: 1462141912456.png (122 KB, 364x385) Image search: [Google]
1462141912456.png
122 KB, 364x385
>gun control laws will prevent us from ever getting good (DMLS) 3d printers

fuck this gay earth
>>
>>54411204
It's quite interesting when you think about it.

One might see the 3D printer as being as revolutionary as something like the Printing press. Or at least that's how they presented it.

In reality it was nothing of the sort. Take a home printer, it has a lot of uses. And had to compete with other methods which were just as reliable, only slower really. Using a typewriter to write a three page document, or using a word processor and then printing it. Depending on circumstances would depend on which is better. As for photos? Well you could take them to be developed, develop them yourself, or (once the tech caught up) print them out. Lots of use and competition.

However 3d printers simply can't compete. It turned out they were more niche than anticipated. And the uses that aren't niche, they'll never be able to compete with. Printing silverware? Go to walmart and get a bundle for a dollar. Them Chinese workers mass produce way better and cheaper than your first world capitalist pigdog machine.

Most of your useful options involve custom work, which is slow, tedious and hard to get right. So a 3d printer can be a godsend. Yet then there's the cost. If you wanted to make a custom paperweight for your company, it's costly to say carve them into the shape of a pair of nuts(you sell peanuts, get out of the gutter) or 3d print them. But it's the cost again, does the printer have the capability to print enough within a reasonable time-frame, accurately enough to be aesthetically pleasing, and with little maintenance? Probably not, unless you spend shitloads of cash for it, and even then you'll probably not have anymore uses for it afterwards except random nick-nacks for your friends.

TL,DR; Printers have uses, reality ensued on 3d printers as niche machines.
>>
File: 1462132900579.jpg (16 KB, 319x320) Image search: [Google]
1462132900579.jpg
16 KB, 319x320
>muh million dollar machines illegal for consumer use mean 3d printing isn't a meme

give it up lads
>>
>>54438184
But if you're looking for what a metal printer can offer there's no better alternative.

Besides, the kind of people who are looking for metal printers are standing to make a ton more off of them.

The GEnx has sold $10 billion worth of engines now. What's $4 million among that?

What matters is that 3D printing has it's own advantages that you seem to be blind to, and not only that, but you seem to keep insisting that NO CNC IS THE BEST FOR EVERYTHING WEEEEEHHHH WEEEEEEEEEHHHHH.

Which tells me that you're both uneducated and persistent. Go back to your handler, why don't you?
>>
>>54438325
you overthink it

plastic is SHIT
resolution is SHIT

metal = instant fucking goldmine
too bad it's illegal due to the ability to print illegal stocks
>>
>>54438352
CNC beats 3d printing 95% of the time and you are not elite enough to be in the 5% laddie

you are just a faggot contrarian-contrarian

PROTIP : the people who actually do meaningful 3d printing do not call it 3d printing.

the very use of the term in a serious manner shibboleths a fool
>>
cool product on kick starter, only for 179 bucks
>>
>>54438371
Did I say additive manufacturing [as the cool kids call it] beats CNC all the time? No. Does he say the inverse? Yes he does.

Additive manufacturing/3D printing/etc. etc. is indeed a niche product, but it has undeniable advantages over most manufacturing processes. That's the point I've been pushing THIS ENTIRE TIME.

>you are just a faggot contrarian-contrarian

A proponent, you mean?

>you are not elite enough to be in the 5% laddie

Maybe not, but I can still see how AM would be advantageous to said 5%. Anyone with even the slightest background in manufacturing and design could. Your point is?
>>
>>54438493
linguistical prescriptivism lost hard m8, 3d printing is an internet meme which means "d00d print le car XD"

it is strongly recommended that you disavow use of it entirely as well as the tainted fedora-version of additive manufacturing

advicement is to refer to techniques directly by name or acronym (DMLS)
>>
>>54438493
also this is a communinity of autistic NEETs, who want to print anime figures and maybe illegal guns.

nobody here save i guess me and you has an actual job
>>
>>54437589
>Yea, but who the fuck gets hip replacements?

People with avascular necrosis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avascular_necrosis
>>
Any 3d modellers here? I want to learn Blender so i can make strong architectural models to print. I want to make drone customised equipment (gopro mounts, electronic housings etc)
>>
>>54438734

>>>/3/519358
>>
>>54437898
>Stop shitposting

Yea, stop disagreeing with him, you fucking bully.
>>
>>54411309
Lol edgy fat man wasting dads money to upload instagram shitty pictures of "3d" (LOL) shit to crave for shitty likes. Man your life fucking suck...
>>
>>54433816
because those don't exist ~yet~?
>>
Won't be worth purchasing until accurate down to the nanoscale
>>
>>54438539
Hey, a goodly number of us will print legal "guns" (more like receivers), because virgin receivers are either unavailable, or grotesquely overpiced (Volquartsen, Your 10/22 receivers are nice, but they are not $400 nice, especially when I can get a complete 10/22 from Ruger for $200)
Also, fuck paying $300/+ for a Vz 61 reciever when the parts kits are $230.
>>
>>54438455
Buying anything on kickstarter ever. It's literally worse than throwing your money away since 9/10 times you're essentially buying disappointment
>>
>>54430287
True, I'm actually more excited about small CNC mills than I am about 3D printing

Being able to mill circuit boards and metal parts for stuff would be more useful, though I can imagine a 3D printer being handy for printing up like a skeleton frame I could then drape in cloth, carbon fibre or glass fibre mat and coat with resin to make small composite parts in awkward shapes

I'll probably buy both in 5-10 years or so, once my son is old enough to understand and use them, will be exciting to see what kids come up with when they grow up around that technology the way some of my generation grew up with programming and the internets
>>
>>54435942
The cheapest and best way to enter this world nowadays is building your own Reprap either from kit or from scratch. You get to know how your machine works on mechanical and software level. Nowadays those kits have good manuals and you don't have to spend time figuring things out by yourself or configuring the firmware. You can also find many tutorials and instructions online so anyone with a functioning brain and too much free time can build one. I'd recommend the Prusa i3 (with e3d nozzle) made by Josef Prusa as it is good to support the original designer but one can make a good machine out of chinkshit if you are lucky and know what you are doing. Never order filament from China if you don't want to get cancered, just use known good brands to know what fumes you are breathing. Chinese e3d copies have usually sub bar quality hole for filament that you should polish in order to avoid plastic sticking to it or you can lubricate the thing with olive oil every now and then if you're lazy.

http://www.prusa3d.com/prusa-i3-kit/

>da Vinci 1.0
No,no,no. Proprietary filament. Stay away of this shit.

>>54436041
Can't really say anything about that but
>aldi
>3d printer
Isn't it a store for POC?

If you're looking second hand printers the OLD makerbots and Ultimaker 2's can be found for pennies if some company has just kicked the bucket nearby.

There is btw a general at /diy/ that you should check out.
>>
>>54416069
Collin is my mancrush. I-is he still cool, /g/?
>>
>>54412366
I'm an advertisement
>>
They are industrial and hobbyist tools, NOT household items. Plain and simple. There was massive hype and overspeculation with people pretending that we'd have them in every house. Nope.

>>54414625
You'll be waiting for a while then. There's already some software like you described but it's pointless because the hardware is not as easy. Nozzles gets clogged, temperatures are slightly off, corners peel up, the humidity in the room affects the print, a layer fails to bind and you get spaghetti, the printer chokes for a second and the top half of the print is offset by half an inch.
>>
>>54439282
>Also, fuck paying $300/+ for a Vz 61 reciever when the parts kits are $230.
The Vz 61 receiver was fucking awesome.
>>
File: 1459312019490.jpg (30 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1459312019490.jpg
30 KB, 649x649
>>54411204
What went wrong?
Nothing holy shit, fuck off with these bait threads. It's a new technology that obviously it hasn't become mainstream yet. Their like computers from 1990 just give it a decade and everyone will have them. Also by then they will be a lot better and much cheaper.
>>
I want to 3D print miniatures and use a projector to throw grid maps on a table for tabletop games

But I'm poor and don't have the space for a printer

How much are printers now? I know the price ceiling is nonexistent, but I think I recall seeing done for 350USD that could do shitty models
>>
...5D printer
>>
>>54440309
$5 of plastic beats the shit out of $300. Lighter to boot.
>>
>>54440379
Deadlands
Junker.
Diy. Not hsn
>>
>>54436647
Why spend that much on a Wanhao rebrand?

I have the V1 and its been pretty good.
>>
>>54440358
this
>>
Much slower that people expected
>>
3D print the moulds~
>>
>>54412509
God, you're so fucking pathetic. End yourself.
>>
>>54440379
For figures one should go either for SLA or PBF technique.
>>
3D printers are great, but why buy one yourself rather than just getting it made by a company like Shapeways?

You'd have to be making a huge number of parts for it to make economical sense.
>>
>>54442182
if you're making one or two pre-made objects, then a 3d printing hub is good. If you're designing then you'll be making many of the items, then turnover time might be worth having your own.
>>
>>54411204
/diy/ crossboarder here.

Basically, the surface quality is shit and the material isn't very useful.

I can't really think of anything I'd want made of plastic in one colour with a horrible finish that I couldn't make myself, better.

If it was metal with a decent surface finish then I'd be interested but metal printers are magnitudes more expensive.

That being said I still like cnc, industrial machines are incredible. I'm making a little cnc plotter/laser engraver from disc drives at the moment.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (24 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
24 KB, 499x499
>buy 3d printer
>make gun so I can kill myself
>>
>>54411204
>3d printers are going to change the world
>electric cars are going to change the world
>VR is going to change the world

Fast forward to 2016. Nothing has changed anything, Literally every product made since 2010 has been a meme/gimmick.
>>
>>54442615
Electric cars are cheap as fuck to run, though.
>>
>>54442628
They're popular in Seattle and Beverly hills but down on main St no one gives a rat's ass about them.

Also gas is literally worthless now due to the massive supplies everywhere, The gov has to artificially manipulate the price of it to keep the gas stations from closing.
>>
>>54442615
>3d printers are going to change the world
Affordable FDM and SLA printers have cut product design times significantly
>electric cars are going to change the world
What is Tesla?
>VR is going to change the world
Not there yet.

You sound like a normie.
>>
>>54442737
>what is Tesla?
A company that builds expensive cars for rich people
>>
>>54442737
>What is Tesla?
A producer of soulless cars that are reasonably fast in a straight line which people treat as another gadget to go with their smartphone?
>>
>>54442758
>>54442767
Someone has to pour money into it before it actually picks up traction in the industry.
>>
>>54440758
You first. Nothing pathetic about what he wasnt to do, but plenty pathetic about your post.
>>
>>54442182
>economical sense.

Most people who buy 3d printers do it as a hobby. Building a printer is fun. There is very little economic value in hobby printing.
>>
>>54440158

I'm trying to get the repetier software for a Geeetech Prusa i3 to work, would this be the right board to ask for help?
>>
wait what? /g/ thinks 3d printing and 3d printers are shit?

/diy/ would like a word with you fellows.
>>
>>54443646
maybe, also try >>>/diy/ or >>>/3/
>>
>>54443646
Firmware or slicing?
>>
>>54411204
the widespread adoption of computers and then printers is for the purpose of consuming and sharing information. Let me ask you, how is a 3d printer more efficient physically and economically than a 2d printer in the only area that matters - information??
>>
>>54443935
>>54443660

Thanks for responding, I think I'm having trouble with Repetier host. The default home position for the software is opposite the endstop, I'm wondering if I should try to find some setting to change, if I should just reverse the stepper motor, or if I should just try to look for a host that doesn't need endstops. If that is at all possible.
>>
>>54440291
Isn't everything?

That said peachy is $100. That is right up my 3D printer price point alley.
>>
>>54445695
In Marlin firmware you can set the endstop position manually. Most likely you can do it in the repetier firmware too,but IMHO Marlin+Slic3r/cura is a superior setting.
>>
>>54447134

Thanks, I'll definitely look into Marlin, am I correct to understand that Marlin is basically an alternative to Repetier host? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm a complete beginner.
>>
>>54429204
How much without the shitmac? 20 bux?
>>
>>54431519
Plastic swastika printing machine, 3D would've taken off if Hitler was alive.
>>
>>54411204

Nothing went wrong, they're still a very much developing technology that are finding their place in the manufacture process. THe only ones that are really available at home-consumer prices are FDM printers that can only print plastics out that tend to have poor tensile strength along their vertcal axis because of the way the layers bond together.
Commercially, technologies like SLS, SLM and SLA are really starting to catch on and can produce some really good parts.
SLA is really useful for medical stuff that often requires custom-shaped parts like hearing aids.
I've been to one company that is using SLM printers to build heat exchangers using geometry that would be impossible to form using any other process other than SLS and the amount of surface area that they're able to add by using these processes is amazing.
>>
>>54448471
Repetier host is the host software on your computer. Repetier firmware goes to your arduino.

Marlin is a firmware for the arduino and Slic3r and Cura are CAM softwares to produce g-code. If you want to control your printer from the computer you can also use pronterface as an alternative to repetier host.
>>
>>54411204
Personal printers aren't useful yet. Printing aircraft parts and things like that are useful. Better versions of parts that used to be injection mold made.
>>
>>54411395
make your own goddamn legos
>>
Not affordable.
Plastics they use are not strong enough.
No metal printing.
Not affordable.

Not in stores.
>>
>>54449512
>Not affordable
I payed 400 bucks for mine, are you a /g/ poorfag?
>Plastics they use are not strong enough
Pla and ABS are pretty damn strong... It takes a good amount of strength to break one.
>No Metal Printing
I can print copper and aluminum filament :^)
>Not affordable
You said that twice senpai
>Not in stores
Suprisingly Costco is starting to sell Makerbot printers and filament... thats like god tier of printing tho haha
>>
>>54449096
What people don't seem to understand is that its not really a household product. Its a prototype machine. There shouldn't really be actual final products produced from one, because its slow and inefficient. Prototyping is godly haha
>>
>>54449563
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>54438455
Not to mention if it is successful you can just buy it once it comes out.
>>
>>54449910
>Not using :^)
>>
>>54414730
(You)
>>
dont know if anyone posted this but they used 3d printer to make robots at mit
https://www.csail.mit.edu/node/2753
>>
File: bait.webm (3 MB, 1075x600) Image search: [Google]
bait.webm
3 MB, 1075x600
oh boy
>>
>>54436163
I agree that the anon you replied to made a fucking stupid claim, but the result of a 3d printed hollow ball would ba rather horrible aswell. :^)
>>
>>54450909
>>54451276
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>54430865
You shouldn't drive unless you have at least a basic understanding of how a car works and how to maintain it.
Unless you're a woman of course.
>>
>>54411204
News media hype died so the people who actually know wtf they're doing can work in peace.
Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.