[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me upgrade my PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Hey /g/

I'm planning on upgrading my pc, but don't really have a good idea on which parts i should get, and i'd love it if you guys could give me some advice.

Here's my current rig:

Processor: AMD Athlon X4 760k
Motherboard: MSI A88X-G43
RAM: DDR3 4 GB - 2 sticks 2 GB each
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Power supply:TS550 (550 Watts)

I'm thinking of getting a couple of 4 GB Ram sticks and a AMD Radeon R9 390, but i'm not sure if that's compatible with my current motherboard, or if there's a more efficient way to upgrade it.

Ideally i'd like to spend ~400€, but i can go up to 500€ if it's worth it.

Thanks for any advice!
>>
Wait for zen
>>
What do you use it for? I wouldn't get a new card now with Polaris and Pascal so close.

Nice image btw, I should re-read Worm.
>>
>>54410606
I mostly use it for Paradox games, or LOL.

It's alright for my current use, but there are a few triple A titles i'd like to play that i can't with my current build (or the performance goes way down).

Ideally i'd like to be able to run something like dark souls 3 or the Witcher 3 on ultra with decent FPS
>>
>>54410649
>Witcher 3
>Ultra
>€500

Might be difficult bud. Your cpu is probably a bottleneck and you wouldn't reach a 390's full potential.

What you should do is wait for pascal and polaris, because even if you don't buy any of them the current lineup is gonna get a price drop.

If you wanna upgrade right now: get some decent haswell i5 and buy another 4gb ram stick, and of course a new mobo. If you are not into OCing then don't get a K cpu and one of the cheaper chipsets (not z97) since it's a waste of money if you're not gonna OC anyways.

Then for the rest buy the best performing gpu you can afford or wait.

Also you should at least have a 600-700w bronze or greater rated psu for anything r9 AMD.
>>
>>54411196
>forgot

And if you can, wait for Zen. That will also require a new mobo.
Your current socket doesn't really have an upgrade for you.
>>
>>54411196
First of all, thanks! This is exactly the type of reply i was hoping for :)

>Your cpu is probably a bottleneck and you wouldn't reach a 390's full potential.

I've worried about that :/

Do you have any suggestions on a CPU that wouldn't cause a bottleneck?

>What you should do is wait for pascal and polaris, because even if you don't buy any of them the current lineup is gonna get a price drop.

I probably will, my current rig is enough for what i usually do so there's no rush.

> If you are not into OCing then don't get a K cpu and one of the cheaper chipsets (not z97) since it's a waste of money if you're not gonna OC anyways.

i'm not really into overclocking, so this is definitely useful

>Also you should at least have a 600-700w bronze or greater rated psu for anything r9 AMD.

Good to know

Thanks anon!
>>
>>54411316
Well then.
Wait for zen and the gpus polaris/pascal, unless they take fucking ages which they probably will (I got tired of waiting last year so I bought a x99/5820k rig).

And if you'd buy a new cpu today: probably an i5, anything from 4460 to 4670 (4xxx being haswell). You could buy skylake but then you also need new ram since ddr4 is preferred. I've had great experiences with many Asus and some MSI motherboards the last couple of years. I'd recommend Asus mobos to anyone. They just work and come with a lot of extras as standard and the UIs etc are really user friendly. My GFs current PC has an ivy i5 and msi mobo and it works great. The pc I had 3 years ago had an msi mobo and it works still. AM3/PhenomII945. Can't go wrong with any of them.

But since you're not OCing, skip the z97 and go for the H85 or B85 or what it is called. Cheap and good value.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.