[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you ever wonder...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: sea-turtle[2].jpg (175 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
sea-turtle[2].jpg
175 KB, 700x525
If some of the guys out there who are super obsessed with privacy actually have something to hide?

I was reading this thread about FreeBSD and it occurred to me when reading this post

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/48396/

>I need a two tier operating system because security is inversely proportional to the number of bytes/programs/projects/applications on any system, in the same way that household security relates to the number of keys you've handed out. These days it doesn't make sense to connect a fully-bloated system to the internet. I don't accept the risk that I'll be compromised by some port/project/app from some unknown and unvettable entity with much less than my interest at heart.

>Yet - I need to use some of those bloated (unvetted) applications on occasion. I end up with a very bare bones setup, which FreeBSD easily provides, for using the internet, and another system with bells, whistles and bloat, but that doesn't connect to the internet.
My internet is kernel+base+ text-browser | netsurf via framebuffer.

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to...
>>
>>54403893
An OS that does decent sandboxing would be ideal, that way you could simply limit the data that any program has access to.
>>
It seems most users don't really care. They definitely don't want to, or know how to go through all that trouble. There are millions of people on the internet everyday, who are you in that sea of people. Better yet, what would catch the attention of observers? A person on an OS that is widely used, or someone connecting through more obscure means?
>>
>actually have something to hide?
sometimes you're important enough to have an identity worth protecting
for everyone else, there's facebook
>>
>>54403893
My AP gov teacher gave the class an anecdote regarding search and seizure.

>Say you're driving your dad's car
>Only way cops can search your car without a warrant is if you commit a crime, the cop has probable cause, or if you let him search your car
>You let the cop search the car
>He finds a gun and a bottle of liquor
>You just incriminated yourself
>>
>>54403893
It's just a unproductive way to live.
It's like "I never leave the house because it don't want SecCams monitoring me when i walk down the street".
>>
File: somal.jpg (16 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
somal.jpg
16 KB, 500x500
>>54403893
a person who has something to hide wouldn't be using FreeCIA to connect to the internet you idiot.
>>
https://www.qubes-os.org/
>>
>>54404253
>It's just a unproductive way to live.

Yeah, and these guys are surely smart enough to realize that. That's why I had my original thought.
>>
>>54404276
>le everything's backdoor maymay
>>
A lot of things are very illegal, but not necessarily absolute moral wrongs. In fact, they are often better than legal alternatives in terms of personal and societal harm, and the system preferred by law may be very harmful and exist solely because of special interest groups and corrupt officials.

What's wrong with having something to hide?

>the law's the law kiddo we all gotta be faithful to our lord the US legislature and not be sinners ok have a burger
>>
>>54404128
stop keeping guns and liqour in your fucking car then.
>>
>>54404426
>What's wrong with having something to hide?

I never said there was anything wrong with it, but it makes me curious as to what kind of things these guys might be doing that requires such security.
>>
>>54404128
>>Only way cops can search your car without a warrant is if you commit a crime, the cop has probable cause, or if you let him search your c
Bullshit, I can't tell you how many times cops have spearheaded their way into searching my car. Hell one time I got ripped out of my car. That's when I started keeping everything I need in an envelop on a string so I can crack the window just enough to slip it through and keep the door locked.
>>
File: why_privacy.jpg (355 KB, 1673x431) Image search: [Google]
why_privacy.jpg
355 KB, 1673x431
>>54403893
I have nothing illegal (other than some pirated music, movies and programs), no. But I do value my privacy. What I do, think, is interested in, sympathise with, who I talk to and what I talk about is something I want to have control over.
Let us put it in other terms... Would you give strangers the keys to your house just because they said they were not going to go in and snoop around and/or take your stuff? They say they don't want to use the key they just want it because of reasons.

Also, see pic related.
>>
File: costanza.jpg (117 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
117 KB, 1000x1000
>>54403893
>My internet is kernel+base+ text-browser | netsurf via framebuffer.
>>
>>54404736
I know all that. That's not what this thread is about.

How many of these guy actually do have something to hide from other people?
>>
>>54403893
>If some of the guys out there who are super obsessed with privacy actually have something to hide?
Again...
If someone has access to your data they can also alter/edit/replace it. They can also plant stuff. They might just need a patsy and it's your unlucky day.
I did IT support in schools.
Teachers used to tell me they didn't care if anyone read their mail.
I asked how they'd feel if some kid sent CP to the Principal over their email account.
>>
>>54404830
it's entirely doable

just because you have the need to access facebook, youtube, reddit and other garbage spawned by modern web doesn't mean everyone has to
>>
>>54404849
When they take this much effort to keep their privacy, then we can't know.

The people who spend their time on forums explaining their setup in detail probably aren't hardcore criminals.

Having something to hide is not the same as being a criminal.
>>
>>54404365
It's probably not terribly unproductive for these people because they probably don't use flashy websites. Their daily routine is probably just as efficient as it would be otherwise.

The exception is the setup, which might be difficult, but these people probably are interested in learning about their operating system anyway, so this doesn't matter to them.
>>
>>54406332
>If someone has access to your data they can also alter/edit/replace it.
That's a false presumption.

There's a big difference in someone being able to see your data and being able to use services as a proxy to you.

For example, someone could maybe see what shows I watch on Netflix, but they can't actually log in to my account and use the service.
>>
>>54406645
Knowing which shows you watch on Netflix can help build a profile of you.
>>
Legalbro here. You dont decide if you have something to hide. The government does.
And the more you let them spy on you, the more they try to steer you with policies and the more you will have to hide.

In legal circles there is pretty much a conensus that there is no adult who hasnt been breaking at least some laws. Im specialized in taxes and in taxes it's even worse because everyone gives their own interpretation of the law when filing their tax reports.
>>
>>54407069
*consensus

But even if you dont break the law. If you have a job at a school for example or in politics and someone would release to the public you often visit the 4chan pedo forum you'd be pretty screwed regardless.
>>
>>54407069
but the government is for the people, by the people, right?
>>
What if the people obsessed with privacy are paranoid schizoids?
>>
>>54407121
Politicians are representatives. We trust them to make decisions for us. So it's not directly by the people. But you arent the people anyway. You are just one person. The American government also represents 309 million other people. Who might not have your best interest at heart, but their own.
>>
>>54404849
>How many of these guy actually do have something to hide from other people?

*nix contributors are animefags.
Anime contains lolicon.
Lolicon is cp.
cp is illegal.

*nix contributors are pro- freedom of info exchange.
Freedom of info exchange contributes to pirate soft and media.
Pirate sofr is illegal.

*nix contributors are curious thigs.
They can watch real life gore or read isis propaganda.
Gore can shock right citizens. And terrorists propaganda is illegal.

*nix contributors should be jailed for the sake of peaceful comminity.
Uncle Sam.
>>
>>54407321
Even 4chan images are copyrighted. Imagine if someone would have hundreds of them on their computer and regularly posts them online.
>>
>>54404509
I found the illiterate.
>>
>>54404545
>Bullshit, I can't tell you how many times cops have spearheaded their way into searching my car.
Did you make a complaint each time?
>>
>>54403893
So install a vm web browsing appliance.
>>
>>54404736
>People should be able to use cars in public places however they please
No.
>>
>>54408260
Good counter argument, reddit.

>>54403893
They do have things to hide, and so do you.
If not, post your dick with timestamp.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.