[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>5 month old packages in the unstable repos Am I supposed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: bbb.jpg (100 KB, 1107x600) Image search: [Google]
bbb.jpg
100 KB, 1107x600
>5 month old packages in the unstable repos
Am I supposed to take Debian seriously?
>>
>>54397626

le "if-it-didn't-crash-this-last-hour-we-can-ship-it" meme

Drop dead, pointy haired boss
>>
>>54397626
You shouldn't use Debian for desktop, even if it's the unstable release. Switch to Arch, Gentoo or Slackware and never worry about outdated software again.
>>
>>54397626
talk to the mantainer
>>
Debian isn't rolling release. If you want rolling release install something else.
Also in Debian's dictionary, "unstable" means what most people think "stable" means.
>>
>>54398116
noone's asking for it to be rolling release, but that's

5 M O N T H S
M
O
N
T
H
S
>>
>>54398116
>Debian isn't rolling release
sid is
>>
>>54398130
Debian is not the distro for you. (nor is it the distro for me)
>>
Use deb-multimedia newfag. There are problems with using mp3 codecs with the dfsg.
>>
Do you really need the latest version ? I thought that, too until I stopped caring about version numbers and never really noticed anything.
Im using ubuntu lts though
Barely noticed anything of relevance when upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04 by the way.
>>
>>54398223
It's often not just the latest version, it's years old software that has gone from pre-alpha to mature releases in the time between new releases.
>>
>>54398223
>when upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04
that is hardly the same,are you implying just because ubuntu made no major updates in the new version every other software doesn't do it either?
Current version of mpv is 0.17, so it's been through 3 updates since then, you're free to check the changelog
>>
>>54398266
http://deb-multimedia.org/
Stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>54398300
>have to use 3rd party repos just to update a media player
that's not the point
>>
>>54398322
Yes it is. Have you read the licenses for ffmpeg and the dfsg?
This doesn't go together well. If you use any release of debian for desktop usage, you will be better off with that repo. Almost everybody who uses debian for media consumption knows that.
>>
>>54398266
>you're free to check the changelog
I don't see anything remotely significant in it
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.