[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FLAC isn't worth it in the short term. Quality lossy is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1445700379673.jpg (32 KB, 450x331) Image search: [Google]
1445700379673.jpg
32 KB, 450x331
FLAC isn't worth it in the short term. Quality lossy is nigh-indistinguishable from a lossless CD rip.
But that isn't the point. It's archival and versatility.
You know how compression standards and formats change in popularity over time? Or sometimes you want one format over the other (space constraints or your shitty old player has an ASIC to decode one lossy format but not another) or you want multiple formats (you want your webpage's <audio> elements to be compatible with both IE and Firefox because only Chrome plays both mp3 and ogg in <audio>s).
You know how you sometimes see those black twitter images that are JPEG'd to hell and back because they get compressed and filtered on each screenshot and Instagram upload? The same happens (sans the filter, unless you're also compressing in the dynamic range sense like soundcloud fucking does) when you go from one lossy format to another. You might not notice the first time going between two high-quality presets, but shittiness accumulates. Eventually you hear a watery/metallic grating noise.

Storage is cheap, so get some drives, get your shit in lossless, and convert it down as necessary. This has been a public service announcement from anon.
>>
File: グーグーグー.png (94 KB, 192x187) Image search: [Google]
グーグーグー.png
94 KB, 192x187
>>54383156
>implying we want to do the work to convert it down and get all our music strictly in FLAC
>>
>>54383180
how about you install gentoo you little twat
>>
>>54383180

>implying you wouldn't just install mp3fs and call it a day

You fool
>>
>>54384842
Huh, that actually looks pretty cool. If only all my music actually existed as flacs.
>>
>>54383156
FLAC isn't always about quality but rather availability. I've had instances where I've exhausted all legitimate sources on rare or obscure artists that I could only find as FLAC. Case and point, the complete Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies live at the Filmore. Good luck even finding a vinyl. Depends on your taste.
>>
none of this matters to me till the new die antwoord album comes out makes this thread at that time
>>
>>54387103
fuck i hate that band they are so annoying and so are my friends
>>
>>54387128
>not played on radio
when are you forced to listen to them that you hate them?
>>
>>54387139
my friends, I said
>>
>>54387206
tell them to stop being cunts and playing it around you
>>
>>54387206
Smash their radio or whatever and tell them to never play that music again.
>>
>>54386928
Opposite for me. I have to bust a nut to find FLAC, whereas MP3 is available for everything under the sun.
>>
>>54383156
FLAC would be nice, but my mp3 library is like >100GB. I'm not redownloading everything in FLAC. (From where, even? I don't have anywhere near enough ratio for that.)

>You might not notice the first time going between two high-quality presets, but shittiness accumulates. Eventually you hear a watery/metallic grating noise.
I wouldn't transcode a lossy file because I'm not retarded, anon :^)

>you're also compressing in the dynamic range sense like soundcloud fucking does
They really do that? That's awful.
>>
>>54387128
Well tell us what you're listening to so we can have a good laugh
>>
>using mp3 instead of opus in 2016
lmao
>>
>>54387444
good ol dadrock
>>
>>54387403
>using the smiley with a carat nose
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.