[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
as far as air cooling is concerned, what is better... a pwm cpu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 35-186-140-07.jpg (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
35-186-140-07.jpg
39 KB, 640x480
as far as air cooling is concerned, what is better...
a pwm cpu cooler that only turns on when your cpu reaches a certain temperature or a cooler thats always running?
>>
I prefer underclocking my CPU and running an entirely passive system.
>needing more than 1.6GHz in 2016
>>
I've never seen a PWM cpu fan that stops at low temperatures. Some graphics cards do it but not processors. Either way there is no reason not to have it spin at 800rpm or so at idle.
>>
>>54382620
I'm trying to decide between an arctic i32
OR an evo 212. Both are pretty cheap. The i32 stops when the country isn't being given used to heavily. Idk if that's a benefit or not. I know it'll be quieter at time.
>>
better off with steady cooling and temp.

temperature fluctuations are what kill components.
>>
>>54383470

If you want quiet, just buy noctua and call it a day.
>>
>>54385449
those are like 3 times the price of what im looking at. i can afford it. but it wont make much of a difference compared to the amount of extra money ill spending.
>>
>>54382132
Running a passively cooled i5 4460S system here, feels pretty damn good desu.
>>
Check out the cryorig h7
>>
be quiet!
>>
The best cooling is putting a fan that constantly runs and then moving the tower to a different room so you don't hear it.
>>
>>54382620
this though, how come there isnt a way to completely stop fans when the temps are low. asrock comes with a fan manager that controls the fans plugged to the motherboard but you cant stop them completely. ive tried in speedfan to manually stop a couple of them with no difference when im not playing games but there doesnt seem to be a way of doing it automatically.
>>
>>54388576
there is a way with certain asus mobos, they have better fan controls than let's say gigabyte or asrock, on those you can only set it to minimum of the fan which is typically 600-800 rpm
>>
>>54388609
there certainly must be a way...
>>
File: 1353542538762.png (200 KB, 559x682) Image search: [Google]
1353542538762.png
200 KB, 559x682
>>54382088
Can't remember where I read this, but essentially someone wanted to do a completely silent, fanless build, and they realized that having just one, low-RPM fan drastically reduced temps compared to no fan.

Graphics cards with fans that turn off is fine, but for things like case fans or the CPU fan, I would rather have them at a low RPM than completely off, as it helps with circulation.
>>
>>54388609
>>54388576
The problem is that some fans require a certain voltage before they turn on, hence why older computers had their fans spin up before they throttled down. Fans connected directly to the PSU usually don't encounter this problem, but having fans completely turn off via the motherboard is asking for trouble.
>>
>>54388709
fine, ill just try and create a skin in rainmeter to always have something like speedfan on my desktop and manually control them. switching from silent to gaming profile in one click.

i wonder if anyone else has thought of that...
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.