[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, what went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 10
File: SteamOS_Logo.png (56 KB, 370x172) Image search: [Google]
SteamOS_Logo.png
56 KB, 370x172
Now that the dust has settled, what went wrong?
>>
It was poorly marketed. I still have no idea what the hell it was.
>>
>>54381827
ubuntu with sudo apt-get install steam
>>
>>54381783
Debian
>>
>>54381783
Nogames just like the PS3

Valve hasn't released a game in half a decade since Portal 2
>>
Linux is not for games
>>
linux has no games (zero games)
>>
I believe steam OS is still not ready. Steam machines weren't marketed properly, and valve have to make their own machine and sell it properly.
>>
>>54381783
There is nothing wrong with SteamOS
There continues to be more and more real games being added with linux support.

The problem lies in trying to sell Steam Machines before its got a fleshed out library of games.
Push SteamOS for 2-3 years and fill it with games, and then people would eat up the systems
>>
It needs an OEM to put out a $200 box with minecraft on Walmart shelves.
>>
>>54381783
People who want Linux+Steam already were,
people who want games on their TV just plug their PC into a computer
It's just that simple
I'm using Steam on Linux, and there's plenty of gaems :)
>>
>>54381896
Counter Strike: Global Offensive
>>
>>54381941
So I can't even use the lightweight steam os to play pc games that I enjoy? Fucking worthlews
>>
>>54381783
Frankly, it's not going bad at all. Linux is slowly getting newer and newer games, Arma 3, CoH2, Divinity OS, recently some changes in Dirt Rally "linux build" were made (it's recorded on steamdb).

It's definitely not some kind of crushing commercial success that will fuck windows up all over, but it's going in the right direction.
>>
Literally just Debian with Steam pre-installed.
>>
>>54381783
The perpetual problem with gaming on Linux: driver support.

I tried to use this on my living room machine, but it wouldn't work properly with either the AMD card or the integrated Intel GPU.
>>
>>54381783
Linux has no games, so why would anyone rush out to get a system for playing games that has less games than what they already have?

Hell, you would think with them trying to push Linux so much they would spend some time making sure their Linux Steam client isn't so shit.

>>54381972
Sadly I think Linux is on the decline on the steam stats.

Granted what else would you expect from Steam users?
>>
>>54381993
>amd card
kiiinda possible, even though AMD linux drivers got better recently, those are still shit
>intel gpus
intel gpus are supported flawlessly in linux. are you sure it wasn't performance-related problem?
>>
>>54381972
UWP is growing faster as a platform for big games than Linux is unfortunately.
>>
File: laughing2.jpg (722 KB, 1200x902) Image search: [Google]
laughing2.jpg
722 KB, 1200x902
AMD drivers already suck ass on windows can you fgfucking imagine it on linux
>>
What went wrong...

1. Valve didn't release a video game that would have the OS shipped with it and marketed with it.
2. Valve didn't make a user-friendly manual of how to generally use the OS.
3. Valve didn't make a single picture explanation of the strong-points of using SteamOS over Windows and shit.
4. Valve didn't make enough, or any, marketing deals with various game developers to have the SteamOS logo run at the start of all games much like the Nvidia shit and such.
5. Valve couldn't handle proper marketing and couldn't properly relay, or construct, the point of the OS.

All in all, the management and marketing departments all failed.
>>
>>54381964
which was 90% developed by hidden path interactive
>>
>>54382097
>2. Valve didn't make a user-friendly manual of how to generally use the OS.
interface is so user-friendly you can't possibly fail after running it, as for running i guess there is no easy way to make foolproof instruction about formatting your hard drive and installing new OS on it
>3. Valve didn't make a single picture explanation of the strong-points of using SteamOS over Windows and shit.
maybe because there are no strong points for average joe? It's great for those "steam machines" because of gamepad interface, but except that it has no redeeming qualities
>5. Valve couldn't handle proper marketing and couldn't properly relay, or construct, the point of the OS.
i still think they achieved a lot, loads of devs did their linux ports for this less-than-one-percent of users. More, it's still happening, slowly but there are new ports being released
>>
is valve even working on it at this point?
>>
>>54381963
>plug PC into computer
Is that how babies are made?
>>
>>54382231
fuck, meant to write plug into TV
>>
>>54382231
yes
turn the usb around johnny
>>
>>54381783
The very idea is retarded. Who the fuck would buy overpriced shit-tier hardware with pre-installed debian? It's a fucking simple PC connected to a TV with a fucking fully-standard debian and nothing fucking more. The only Valve innovation here is a Steam Controller and updated Steam user interface and that's it.
They should have pushed their controller as a stand-alone product. And maybe do some partnership with Canonical to do some Linux-related projects and try to involve some main game developers. But the very idea to make money on custom-build PCs with shit laptop-tier hardware charged at fucking cosmic prices was dead from all the beginning.
>>
File: 135062.gif (129 KB, 625x967) Image search: [Google]
135062.gif
129 KB, 625x967
this thread maybe kinda belongs on /v/

>>54382424
>The only Valve innovation here is a Steam Controller
pic related
>>
holy shit, how stupid are you people

valve wasn't launching a new fucking console
SteamOS is insurance against microsoft going full retard and locking down windows 11
steam is a large enough platform now that leaving yourself vulnerable to getting shit on would be retarded

it cost pretty much nothing to develop/support and they can just shovel it off to whoever wants it right now
>>
>>54381783
were you expecting a once-and-done release from valve? the controller was released and got patched into working even better, the steam link got released and got patched into working better, it only goes to stand that an OS (something that inherently gets updated to become faster and more stable) would continue to be patched to work better. i dual boot and try to use it over windows if i have a game thatll run on both just on the offhand that any crash data or performance issues im having might go towards it getting better. its ambitious - and steams always been good on community.
>>
>>54382493
Have you been to /v/? Besides this is a thread about an OS.
>>
Nothing. It's still a great gaming OS and it becomes better as more Linux games are made available. Hell, just Valve making Steam for Linux and SteamOS ensured many titles would be given a Linux version and even things like drivers would be improved.

Furthermore, it was to protect Gabe and Valve against Microsoft pulling bullshit with Windows 10 and while people thought it unlikely early on, Gaben is proved correct with the win10 store being a horrific proprietary thing and games being released as opaque apps were you can't even see the game files a la quantum break and tomb raider.

SteamOS proves a Linux dev platform for gaming. The decision to make it not a general use distribution by default meant less adoption, but it does work well for a console like experience. I do wish they included media focused stuff like Kodi or whatnot to make it a great HTPC too from installation. Just as long as Valve continues to develop in an open fashion, their Linux offerings are successful.
>>
>>54382493
B^U
>>
>>54382541
Wanted to post this. There is no real advantage for the average user in using SteamOS, and Valve knows it. But every time MS builds a new wall around their garden, they can use that to gain new users. It's win win for Valve. If Microsoft behave, then nothing of value was lost. And if they suddenly go all Apple, they're basically doing Valve's advertising for free.
>>
>>54381783
>microsoft makes windows 8
>gaben gets butthurt
>year of the loonix desktop, Le stem OS
>no games
>everyone stays on windows
>>
>>54381783
Valve expected that Linux became his ideal gaming operating system without almost no effort from their part.
Valve didn't make effort to bring some order to the Gaming side of Linux land, or at least to their operating system.
They haven't marketed to developers what's is good of Linux gaming. Doesn't matter if Linux performs better than NT, they didn't assure developers that their shit will not came broke with a kernel upgrade, they didn't bet on Wayland but still believe in that zombie know as X.org, etc.
>>
>>54381896
>nogames
I own ~500 games on steam and about 300 of them work on linux natively

the big problem is that anyone interested enough in pc gaming is just gonna get a regular pc, and they certainly wont install this as a secondary OS. If they wanted to play on a TV they'd just get a longer hdmi cable or something like a steam link
>>
same with most shitty useless distributions; it should have just been a feature packed alongside a real distribution like Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, etc
>>
>>54384049
It pretty much is just Steam+Debian
>>
SteamOS?
More like SteamPOS
>>
>>54381896
>PS3
>no games

Spotted the Jtag Xbox fag
>>
>>54382541
You make a good point.

MS also has the Xbox live shit so they have incentive to fuck valve over
>>
>>54381783
People are used to closed projects that spend their whole development time behind closed doors and then burst forth fully formed. So really the only thing that's gone wrong is the public perception of something that's developing and maturing in the open, but that's the only way to build a new PC platform that can compete against Windows. Steam for Linux launched without any library (over 2000 games now), without its primary Graphics API (only came out a bit over a month ago), and without drivers (Nvidia is the only one in good shape. AMD is rapidly getting into shape. Intel lags behind now even on open drivers where they previously had the lead).

Steam for Linux / SteamOS is and always has been targeted not at when they launched but at 2020 when Windows 7 is EOL. All the progress that they can make now is a positive step towards serving Valve against Microsoft as deterrence.
>>
It needed 100% compatibility with every new release, and it was never going to get that.

It was doomed from the start.
>>
>>54384034
This and normies who just play FIFA, are gonna get Xbox.
>>
>>54381783
Gpu Drivers.
Xorg.
Most games are Windows only.
Linux on desktop PC is a nightmare compared to Windows or Mac. Just look at ubuntu 16.04, the worst release since 2006.
>>
>>54387191
most desktop games are windows only *

most games are not windows only.
>>
Released to early, they should have waited for Vulcan really starting to being used by game developers.
>>
>>54387191
>Just look at ubuntu 16.04, the worst release since 2006.

What's bad about it. Installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 and I'm happy with it so far
>>
>>54381783

Nothing, it will be the majority OS for home PCs in 2 years
>>
All in all you're getting an inferior platform altogether.

It's not like consoles which have their exclusive releases. It's just an overlay for PC games on an operating system that has directly less compatibility. Hell half of these linux games can be played on phones nowadays.

I still remember the retards screaming "valve is going to bring all games to linux" nigga what, they have like 5 or so plus mods. As if they alone decided which big releases were available on linux. They don't port these games themselves.

For a company that prides itself on supporting the PC community the stupid interface doesn't support 21:9 resolutions. The fuck is up with that? Also the gamepad is just hilarious. A good chunk of games available for linux would be best played with a d-pad but they pretty much fucked that up.
>>
>>54382027
AMD drivers are so bad on linux you even get frame drops on your fucking desktop
>>
>>54381937
We won't see anything serious until vulkan and only if devs port games to Linux. Problem is there's just too many distros. Fedora? Ubuntu? Debian? Opensuse? Arch? centos? Mint?

It throws people off trying Linux
>>
>>54388504
Some of these are fairly similar. Ubuntu has been popular enough as the first choice for newbies.
>>
File: no_hecks_given.jpg (31 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
no_hecks_given.jpg
31 KB, 480x480
>>54381941
this

I do my work on Linux at home and at the office. Every programming language and environment I could want (except for Visual Studio).
I don't even give a fuck about the W10 cucks and their spyware.
And I don't sacrifice gaming either.

Steam is running absolutely flawlessly for me.

Chivalry
XCOM
XCOM 2
Empire: Total War
Total War: ATTILA
Serpent in the Staglands
Kerbal Space Program
Invisible Inc
Halfway
Torchlight II
Talos Principle
Dungeon Defenders
Planetary Annihilation
Alien Isolation
Age of Wonders III
Antichamber
Battle Worlds: Kronos
Broforce
Metro 2033 Redux
Metro: Last Light
All the Valve games-- L4D, Half-life, Portal, CS: GO, Day of Defeat etc.
Wasteland 2
Wargame: AirLand Battle
Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings
and a bunch of indie games

And more coming out every day. I literally have more AAA games than I can play waiting on me to get tired of the current batch that I'm having fun on. And all of them run quite well for me (binary NVidia drivers)

It's fucking awesome.
>>
>>54381998
Saints row 3/4 work now.
It's not just games that were published for windows, allot are being updated to work with it.
>>
>>54388549
Debian, Ubuntu, mint, are compatible. But people don't know that. That's the problem.

STOP MAKING A DISTRO A DAY AND PEOPLE MIGHT TAKE LINUX SERIOUSLY
>>
>>54388619
I can count with my fap hand the number of games on that list worth an actual shit
>>
>>54388628
>now
>a quarter ago

We're almost halfway through 2016, what new releases do we have worth even mentioning on linux? SFV? XCOM 2? Is that it?
>>
>>54388747
Admittedly I'm not even sure, then again being halfway threw 2016, I cant name allot of games that have come out this year that I want to play/have played, so I might be forgetting/overlooking allot.
Because of Important programs, I mostly use Windows on my main desktop and the games are just a bonus pastime.
>>
>>54381783
it's much cheaper to upgrade existing machine to play (newer) games, than buy new one just to play (newer) games.
>>
>>54388311
Canonical just don't care about desktop anymore. They are focused in phone's and other things. Zero improvements in 4 years. Still using unity 7 with compiz. Still using the retarded gnome software.

Tried ubuntu xenial. Loots of problems with packages, suspend not working,black screen with nvidia drivers, etc. And it's a LTS.

The fact of flavors (mint,mate,kubuntu,xubuntu) being better than the main ubuntu is the proof.
>>
>>54381843
Its Debian not ubuntu
>>
>>54381783
steamos is awesome, im glad such progress is being made. steamos makes it REALLY easy for any idiot to get into linux. it installs the graphics drivers for you and makes games just a point and click experience.
>>
>>54388934
That's like saying Kodi makes it really easy for any idiot to get into linux

It's just an overlay for games, videos and music. Hell it's not even good at the last two.
>>
>>54388970
okay, kodi isnt an OS so idk how that makes any sense. are we talking about steamos being the fork of debian or are we talking about big picture mode?
>>
>>54388985
I really wouldn't recommend using steamos to 'get into linux'.
>>
>>54389001
i guess that was too much for most people. i would recommend it for a gamer, though. face it, graphics drivers are not the easiest thing to install that you can always point to a guide and say "do this" and it will work
>>
>>54389012
Ubuntu installed everything for me, even my SAS controller. Ubuntu has the advantage of having a massive userbase and thus answers to pretty much any issue on the internet.
>>
>>54389034
i havent used ubuntu since 12. if they install graphics drivers automatically and correctly (most of the time) and have steam in the default repo, then you're right, ubuntu is the best for a newb. but you cant deny valve is helping the scene with the support they show for that open source direct x whatever its called.
>>
>>54381783
nogaems, plus freetards don't care about games (too busy ricing linux and watching anime) and gaymers don't care about freedom and only care if something justwerks.
>>
>>54389034
Not only that, at least it's an usable OS. It has far more functionality than just games.

On the other hand, let's go with one of those stupid SteamOS machines

>I'm gaymur
>I want to play the latest AAA releases
>I don't want anything complicated
>Guess I'll buy a PS4/Xbox One

>I'm gamurhrrr
>I want all games
>I can handle a mouse. I know what a mouse is. I know what a keyboard is. And I know how to install an .exe file
>I guess I'll buy a PC with windows

>I have no self respect
>I'll buy a half assed PC with an OS that can only do games and -some- media
>I won't be able to play half the shit that's out on the market
>For a higher price than a PS4/Xbox One
>Only because I don't know how to deal with a computer in 2016
>Gee this is fucking great
>>
>>54381998
>Sadly I think Linux is on the decline on the steam stats.
The stats are misleading though because its percentage of total steam users and steam itself has insane growth.

I'm too tired to do proper math, but assume total steam users grows by 1% one month, and linux users grow by .5% the stats will show a decline in linux users by total steam users.
>>
Can you even install Steam on Ubuntu 16.04?

It gave me weird errors about certain 32-bit library package not being available on apt, then refused to install when I tried last week.
>>
>>54389048
Yeah the amount of forks is what puts people off moving to linux because the choices make it scarier, I was in the same boat up until a few months ago. They should have just teamed up with ubuntu or something.
>>
>>54389089
>https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-steam-on-ubuntu-16-04-xenial-xerus

Was that hard?
>>
>>54389069
Pretty much this.
>>
>>54389101
Shouldn't the Steam installer be able to do this automatically?
>>
>>54389101
On AMD cards though, for a long while (hell, the last 2 years I think) installing steam on ubuntu would require first opening up the installer, then deleting a library, then opening it up again, then deleting another one.

Every fucking time.
>>
>>54389101
what the actual fuck. i just do sudo apt-get install steam on a fresh system (with nvidia drivers) and it works.
>>
>>54389112
>>54389121
>>54389133
I don't use steam so I wouldn't know. Just baffles me however that people wait 10 minutes to get a response from a mongolian basket weaving forum instead of just googling for 3 seconds.

I have yet to come across something I couldnt solve with googling and I threw myself in the deep end going straight to ubuntu server without DE.
>>
>>54389133
just use apt
sudo apt install steam
>>
>>54389169
>someone mentioning a task that should be obvious to complete isn't obvious (i.e. pointing out failure of software design) means this person is a lazy fuck begging for help on /g/
>>
>>54381783
linux.
>>
>>54381783
the same thing that always goes wrong with valve things. They half ass something realize it's shit and then lose interest.
>>
>>54389195
Just sayin senpai
>>
It's combining the worst aspects of both pc gaming and console gaming.
>>
>>54389186
since when is this a thing master?
>>
>>54389222
A while now
>>
>>54389169
Hey, I solved the AMD card issue by googling it.

It's just not supposed to behave that way if they're going to claim "oh yeah this is just put it in and it works"
>>
>>54389222
Steam has been in the repos for years
>>
>>54389241
>It's just not supposed to behave that way
Well yeah it sounds far from user friendly, depends as to what exactly the reason for it is though as they might not be able to do anything about it right now.
>>
It's getting better but linux isn't ready for mainstream gaming unless all your titles and hardware happen to have decent compatibility.

It's come a long fucking way though since I fucked around with knoppix live CDs 10+ years ago. Hopefully muh vulkan will make things even easier.
>>
>>54381931
it has the overwhelming majority of the top games on steam, and at least half of the games on steam are steamOS compatible at launch

the problem is that valve handed off hardware responsibilities to a bunch of third parties that made boxes that were significantly more expensive and less powerful than the PS4\XBone. the same vendors then sold windows versions of their steam boxes for the same price as the steamOS version, even though windows licenses start at ~$100.

so, the casuals didn't buy into steamOS hardware, and the hardcore linux users just kept using whatever linux they were using

part of me wonders whether valve ever intended steamOS to be a serious OS or whether it was simply a way of threatening microsoft with 'if you start fucking with steam on windows then steam users will switch to steamos'. it all started around the time of windows 8, with the windows store, and valve worrying that microsoft were going to try and bully them out of windows store.

hell, who knows, maybe microsoft would have tried by now if not for steamos.
>>
>>54389385
>the problem is that valve handed off hardware responsibilities to a bunch of third parties that made boxes that were significantly more expensive and less powerful than the PS4\XBone. the same vendors then sold windows versions of their steam boxes for the same price as the steamOS version, even though windows licenses start at ~$100.

Holy fuck what a bunch of cunts. Don't get me wrong I didn't think steamos would steamroll the market but that move just fucked steamos from the start.
>>
>>54388631
This.

Fucking hell.
>>
>>54389385
Microsoft is still trying in their little corner with these xbone to PC releases.

Also overwhelming majority, I'd like to look at the top sellers again. Most of them are Windows exclusive. No man's sky, FO4, GTA V, Dark Souls 3, Doom, TW:Warhammer, those remain Windows exclusive. We still have plenty of new releases that don't support SteamOS at all. Shit, the witcher 2 got a crappy port to linux, the team in charge of that got pissed and 3 remains Windows exclusive. How many people gave a single shit about saints row IV when it was ported?
>>
>windows 7 no dx12
>most new titles are beyond shit
>linux isn't ready as a total replacement yet
>vulkan might still faceplant because reasons

Time to grow up and stop gaming I guess.
>>
>>54389476
Or upgrade to w10 you fucking retard.
>>
>>54389562
>advocating 'upgrading' to a half finished OS with the most inconsisent UI, endless telemetry and forced updates
>unironically calling someone a retard for not using it

Holy shit what
>>
>>54382221
Well new versions are still coming out, but I don't know how much effort Valve is putting into it.

The thing I want to know is how can I help make SteamOS better?
>>
>>54389562
>windows 10
>upgrade
pick one
>>
>>54389705
I picked both when I upgraded. Noticeable improvement since w7 doesn't even support dx11.1

>>54389581
>inconsistent ui
Not true.

>telemetry
How else will they update and fix bugs and issues?

>forced updates
Oh no, I'm being receiving a security patch! PATRIARCHY! PATRIARCHY! MICROSOFT IS RAPING ME! MYSOGNY!!!
>>
>>54389736
You would be fine with rape wouldn't you Pajeet
>>
>>54389736
>not true

Ok ok guys let's make font rendering work differently in settings, the start menu and the file manager. Now pick that drop down menu and change the font and the color. That other one, just leave it be. There's leftovers? What the fuck ever. This is dark, but this remains white because we don't know how to change it. Ship it like this.

>forced updates
Seems you haven't used Windows enough to know that some updates are better skipped. Or hell, seems you haven't used Windows 10 enough to get that nice little prompt that tells you "HEY YOU, YES YOU, YOU HAVE 15 FUCKING MINUTES TO RESTART, BETTER SAVE EVERYTHING OR YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE IT YOU PIECE OF SHIT"
>>
>>54381783
Valve should increase selection of Steam Machines by getting more manufacturers to make one.
Possibly with price tag just bellow current gen consoles.
>>
>>54389674
>The thing I want to know is how can I help make SteamOS better?
Are there dev forums or feedback forums?

Stay active in the community, report bugs, help others solve issues, provide feedback etc.
>>
>>54389736
>inconsistent ui
>not true

Holy fucking kek winblows fags on suicide watch
>>
>>54389736
>>telemetry
>How else will they update and fix bugs and issues?
Bug reports? User feedback? TESTING?

>>forced updates
>Oh no, I'm being receiving a security patch! PATRIARCHY! PATRIARCHY! MICROSOFT IS RAPING ME! MYSOGNY!!!

Nice argumentum absurdum.
>>
>>54381783
Valve wants the users to so the marketing for them
>>
>>54389839
i love how that only deals with fucking right clicking and it already makes your point. I wonder how this happened. I cant imagine somebody at ms saying "hey, wouldn't it be cool to make all of the menus look different depending on where you opened them? I know there's that whole integration meme, but we could start a new trend of not making anything consistent at all!"
>>
>>54389813
see
>>54389385
>>
>>54389736
This.

Anyone whining about windows 10 are just upset because they know vulkan won't make anything better on their babby custom riced arch gentoo sexbot desktop
>>
>>54389881
There was a screenshot of a convo with an ex windows dev floating around here somewhere.

He went into some detail as to how much of a clusterfuck the code is and how no one even remotely has general oversight. Old shit has been patched and patched for it to work until today to the point where looking at it causes a shitstorm down the road.

I bet it's a real fucking mess. They can never truly start from scratch.
>>
File: we wuz programms nsheeit.png (1 MB, 1300x4704) Image search: [Google]
we wuz programms nsheeit.png
1 MB, 1300x4704
>>54389906
>>54389881
Found it after all.

After reading this things will start to make sense.
>>
>>54389929
That last half further proves to me the telemetry bullshit isn't all about muh bugs.
>>
>>54389929
fuck my asshole what a mess
>>
>>54389839
>>54389929

So 7 is the last version of Windows written by competent developers.
>>
>>54389929
Only reason to use w10 desu
>>
>>54390249
What? No. Windows 10 is just shit slapped ontop of windows 7. Windows has been a mess code wise for well over a decade. It just endless fixes ontop of fixes.
>>
>>54381783
It's based on Linux
>>
>>54390280
>just endless fixes

Would you order it was broken instead of fixed?
>>
>Linux
>>
>>54390295
Prefer*
>>
>>54388631
>STOP MAKING A DISTRO A DAY AND PEOPLE MIGHT TAKE LINUX SERIOUSLY

I had a fun conversation with a co-worker who is a die-hard Linux user.

Basically, if you look at enterprise applications made for a particular market, they usually say they support OS X, Windows, and "Linux" (Ubuntu and Fedora).

Basically, for most of these applications, if you are using something like Mint, Debian, Arch, Gentoo, etc, they do not HAVE to support you, even if you're paying for support, because they don't technically support those specific distros.

I know there are some standards that distros are supposed to follow, but at the end of the day, there are too many distros that are different in a small way that can completely break an application. Case in point being something like VMWare Tools looking for the kernel header files, which are in different places.
>>
>>54390280

Well, there were massive layoffs way before 8 was released. I assume those layoffs were mostly competent devs and after that they hired cheap, less experienced, developers, which eventually brought us Win8. Same chep devs also brought us Win10. Cheap devs which barely understand how Windows (Win32 part) works.
>>
>>54388619
>And I don't sacrifice gaming either.
Yes, you do.

As previously noted in this thread, there are many great games that simply do not run on Linux.
>>
>>54390295
Would you pay to get a car fixed over and over instead of just buying one that werks? There comes a point when you have to abandon old shit mang you can't just keep 20 year old shit and hope for the best forever.
>>
>>54382017
>UWP
You have to admit, this shit is really cool.

The //build/ demo is a good explanation of why this shit is going to get big, pretty quickly.

Basically, develop one game and you don't have to worry about 'porting' it to PC from console, or vice versa.
>>
>>54390319
This in conjunction with shit management who most likely don't have the first idea about stuff like this contributed greatly.
>>
>>54390312
Right, there's no way to stop people from making new distributions. That's why as far as companies who need to offer support are concerned there's really only two or three. Most of the distributions out there are based on those and generally the people who care about running something else can handle things themselves.

Imagine if Windows was open source and people could fork 7 and keep it maintained after its upcoming EOL date.
>>
>>54390319
Well that's ok because they're retiring Win32 anyway.
>>
>>54390364
>Imagine if Windows was open source and people could fork 7 and keep it maintained after its upcoming EOL date.
>that but with XP

I came buckets
>>
Nobody including valve gave a shit once windows wrought wasn't the most evil shit ever.
>>
>>54390336
Depends on if it's worth it though. What if it's cheaper to fix up the old shit?

People will still buy windows regardless
>>
>>54390373

In which case people will migrate to Linux. (; I personally endorse this idea.
>>
>>54390406
>migrate to Linux
Out of the thousands of distros available, which do you think people will flock to?
>>
>>54390425

Linux Mint, but I think a lot of the less experienced people will go with Ubuntu since it's what they associate Linux with these days.
>>
>>54390401
>What if it's cheaper to fix up the old shit?
Until it becomes so difficult to add a fucking menu that you might as well scrap the whole fucking thing or never touch it again.

It might work in the short term but it's a shitstorm waiting to happen.
>>
>>54389839

The funny thing is, there are even touch context menus on top of that with different styles
>>
>>54390433
>actually recommending Linux mint

Are you fucking retarded? Or has your head been up your arse for the past 10 years?
>>
>>54390464
stahp I'm going to vomit
>>
>>54390499
What's wrong with mint? Seems pretty easy to use.
>>
>>54390499
y so salty famalamadingdong
>>
>>54390499

Good lawd above o.O Take your medication, anon. Yes, I am recommending Linux Mint.
>>
>>54390433
>Still ships kernel v3
>Still ships Mesa 10
>Has had massive security problems

Clearly the people's choice because its default interface pretends to be Windows.
>>
>>54381783
Pushing for games on linux(which will never happen)
>>
File: _20160424_162617.jpg (134 KB, 1080x916) Image search: [Google]
_20160424_162617.jpg
134 KB, 1080x916
>>54390507
>>54390515
>>54390556
>recommending a distro that does nothing but steal 2 year old code from Ubuntu, slap their own shitty de on it, and call it a distro without contributing anything upstream

Ubuntu mate is best.
>>
>>54390595
>>54390612
I don't know about that. Mint seems the best Linux distribution.
>>
>>54388619
Nice list
But where's the games that actually matter?
>>
>>54390631
Stop fucking baiting you shit eating winbabby cunt
>>
>>54390609
Back when Linux had maybe a dozen native games you might have had a point. With over 2100 games now on Steam for Linux it certainly seems to be happening.
>>
>>54390651
>native
Lol
>>
>>54390384
Well if more people got into ReacOS this might actually happen
>>
>>54381993
>>>54381783 (OP)
>The perpetual problem with gaming on Linux: driver support.

I suppose the hope is, that Steam OS will eventually help bring more attention to gaming on Linux, which will eventually make the market big enough that the gpu makers will have to release drivers for it.

Everyone who is steadfastly clinging to Windows is hindering this process btw, and should kill themselves, for multiple reasons.
>>
>>54382424
Oh I haven't been following it that closely. If they were really selling these for over what they're worth than no wonder it failed. I'm not surprised though that stupid greedy cunt Gabe is stupid and greedy though.

A more workable solution would have been to do something along the lines of what you said. Work with the community. Even release SteamOS as a distribution. Let people install it as an OS on their own hardware. Basically give it away, in order to expand the reach of your platform. It worked pretty good for Google (with Android)...
>>
>>54382546
>>>54382493
>Have you been to /v/? Besides this is a thread about an OS.

No, I've never been there, and don't plan on going. What is their opinion of Steam OS?

I only ask to take the pulse of the plebe console crowd, even though I am aware that neo g is barely a notch above them most of the time nowadays...
>>
>>54381843
>using apt-get install instead of the superior apt install
>>
>>54386989
I WANT TO BELIEVE.jpg

I think lots and lots of normies are getting wise to the fact that they can do all their office stuff and browsing just fine on GNU/Linux. Gaming I think is the last bastion. If Steam OS succeeds, it could be the final death knell for Windows. And that would be a wonderful day.

Yes I know that Steam OS is probably proprietary, but they have the market position to make this happen. They could be the catalyst. Once there are decent gpu drivers for GNU/Linux, and people start to move over from Windows, there will be no putting that genie back in the bottle.

One can hope...
>>
>>54390648

Kill yourself
>>
>>54388890
So just use a flavor then. That's what's great about GNU/Linux. Choice / options!
>>
>>54390899
>>If they were really selling these for over what they're worth than no wonder it failed. I'm not surprised though that stupid greedy cunt Gabe is stupid and greedy though.

>Ayylienware sells overpriced product
>It's Gabe's fault
yep, makes sense

>Even release SteamOS as a distribution. Let people install it as an OS on their own hardware. Basically give it away, in order to expand the reach of your platform. It worked pretty good for Google (with Android)...
http://repo.steampowered.com/download/

I do agree that SteamOS and Android have very similar business model, but the difference is in market saturation. When Android phones came they competed with nobody except overpriced iPhone. Steam Machines on the other hand are getting into somewhat crowded market of "living room entertainment" where target demographic either already has console or doesn't want to play in living room. Tricky situation.
>>
>>54390998
>and people start to move over from Windows
thing is that people don't move, they just get used to shit.
slowly_boiling_frog.png
>inb4 fucking frogposter
>>
>>54389562
If you're not trolling, kill yourself.

If you are, 4/10 for making me reply.
>>
>>54391099
I dunno, I think we can save a few neo g by repeatedly hitting them over the head with facts.

But for most normies (and certainly console mouth breathers), you are probably right. lol
>>
>>54390942
superior how?
>>
>>54390612
Fair enough.
>>
Release are slowly becoming better for SteamOS, but they don't quite have that AAA game on launch yet, though i'm unsure they ever will, unless they can increase the install base a lot.

It's something AMD should seriously consider building for, a small form factor PC with a semi-custom APU, first party driver support for SteamOS, etc.
>>
>>54390681
OH SHIT I totally forgot about reactos thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>54381783
OpenGL isn't good enough for games these days and vulkan api looks like it might be a bit better but get windows if you're a gaymer
>>
>>54388619
Civ V
>>
>>54390327
>there are many great games that simply do not run on Linux.
what's stopping you from running windows in a vm just for those games?
I've been doing that for 6 months now and it's great
>>
The dust hasn't settled and nothing went wrong.

SteamOS is Valve's escape hatch if microsoft tries to do something to fuck them. It's not about hitting hard and early and getting people to switch to linux en masse, it's about building up support over years and years so that that they have somewhere to go if in 10 years Microsoft drops support for win32 applications or does some other thing to pull the rug out from under Steam's entire business model.
>>
>>54381783
Nothing went wrong. It's a long term strategy.
>>
>>54392802
What gpu do you have and what differences in performance do you notice? I've been toying with the idea too since I really don't game that much anymore and don't need 4k 8xAA and shit like that.
>>
>>54382493
>tim cuckley

just stop already.
>>
>>54393309
>tim cuckley

fucking lost
>>
>>54392802
using the iommu shit?

>>54392923
That's how I saw it, SteamOS and Valve pushing devs to release Linux and OSX builds is preparing a softer landing in case MS go full retard (and considering win10, it's looking like a fucking wise move desu)
>>
>>54391345
saves keys
>>
>>54393235

different anon, but I do this too.

it's close to 90-95% of bare metal performance, but really sometimes even better as my windows vm is only for gaming and has nothing else on it.

Be aware though, latest drivers on windows somehow have fucked me sideways. I've had to recover my vm from an older snapshot (took like a minute) and not upgrade my crimson drivers.
>>
>>54395197
forgot to answer your question about the gpu.. for me 7970 worked like a charm even though it doesn't have uefi. I upgraded to r9 nano and didn't even think that it wouldn't support uefi, but what do you know. It works, but doesn't work as well as 7970 I had earlier.

For vt-d passthrough, I'd get an AMD card.
>>
File: 1461545736262.jpg (46 KB, 517x488) Image search: [Google]
1461545736262.jpg
46 KB, 517x488
>>54381783
The problem is continual down talk from people seeing it as a competitor, when its not rolled out in a way they can rightly criticize -- its a slow, long term project on multiple levels designed to evolve the gaming ecosystem in a way the companies it will impact negatively are trying to stall/avoid.

"steam machines" aren't a competitor to the nesxonepsshits who are working to keep gaming and gaming machines in a narrow confines they can profit from, the idea is something beyond what their marketing departments are capable of conceptualizing.
>>
>>54390934
/v/ doesn't think about steamOS because nobody there uses it
>>
>>54381783
No point when big picture runs on windows and there are lots of cheap small windows PCs.

But it's not like they've lost, they're only competing with themselves.
>>
>>54395302
i use steamos' repos, does that count? I'm glad that steamos exists and we as linux gamers are better off because of it. I appreciate gabe's linux push and vulkan is promising.

Exciting times ahead.
>>
>>54393235
660ti
it's pretty close to native, I run it at 1680x1050 to get a few extra frames
The only issue that I have is that it will eat 8-12gb of your memory since it has to reserve it for the guest. It's one of those times having a dual socket board is handy
>>54393677
>using the iommu shit?
yes
>>
>>54395347
that sounds so much like corporate copypasta it hurts

and no, it doesn't count, and no vulkan is the opposite of promising
>>
>>54395383
>and no, it doesn't count, and no vulkan is the opposite of promising

source?
>>
>>54395409
it doesn't fucking work
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/02/vulkan-benchmarks-a-boost-for-amd-and-nvidia-but-theres-work-to-be-done/
>>
>>54395383
nice to know that it looks convincing, thanks.

> and no vulkan is the opposite of promising

What? what have been the alternatives so far on linux? I think it's an awesome project. So many manufacturers and scene companies working on it.
>>
>>54395439
are you retarded? Or just a simple shill?

> The Talos Principle has not fully optimized its Vulkan integration. The inclusion of the API is presently in early stages. As the Talos Principle team has indicated, Dx9 performance used to outrank Dx11 performance within the game, but later optimizations resolved and switched that performance. The team expects the same to happen with Vulkan, noting in its FAQ:
>>
>>54391026
Average Joe don't like choice. They like things that "just works". That's why Windows is a monopoly.
>>
File: 1393783086257.png (60 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1393783086257.png
60 KB, 250x250
>>54395572
>this thing that totally happened before for something completely different will totally happen again

I'm being a realist here, there really isn't a good chance given the track record of previous drivers on linux and the general state of linux software in general that vulkan will come out at the end being at all good
>>
>>54392733
shitty ported version tho, same as osx. no mods etc. etc. also worse performance for the same specs than you can get out of windoze. Literally the only reason I'm still running that OS at all.
>>
>>54395197
That sounds bretty gud to be honest. I have an r9 380. I remember gigabyte released a UEFI bios and I flashed it. I think the 380 can do both though so I hope I'll be alright.
>>54395236
I 'only' have 8gb, the other 8gb went faulty about 2 years ago and I realised I didn't really need it. Cheap enough another one or two 8gb sticks nowadays though.
>>
>>54395675
Fucking this. Valve really fucked up by making another fucking fork. They should have just latched on to either the most popular distro or the one most likely being used by winblows users which is probably Ubuntu.
>>
>>54387101
fifa is the one
>>
>>54397250
They did, for Steam on desktop Linux they only officially support the LTS releases of Ubuntu. Ubuntu doesn't make for a good controller driven system though and they've been assholes about people redistributing their packages so a Debian based stack was the obvious choice for their 'console'
>>
>>54399027
Why did they even decide to make an OS out of steam? Is it really easier than making a steam deb file that just autostarts in big picture mode and werks for almost everyone?
>>
>>54390612
Holy shit, mint is so far behind.
Why?

And why is it so popular then? It ran like shit on my laptop but I assumed that was just because of the shitty hard drive.

Going to try Ubuntu when I get home. Which DE is best for being lightweight but also looks nice and functional?
Mate?
>>
>>54399091
You realize that's what SteamOS is right?

Basically just a session that goes straight to big picture? They needed their own OS because they needed a platform they couldn't be locked out of, and they needed something they could ship on their own devices and be set up to work with just a controller.
>>
>>54390327
If I literally have several games on that list that I haven't played yet and I'm still fully occupied then in what sense am I sacrificing gaming?
>>
>>54389955
Obviously.

And this is why they're pushing free upgrades to W10 so hard right now. They want everyone to get onto their new platform so they can force ads and "updates" onto them without any recourse for the users.

If you're still on Windows, especially on W10, then you're a cuckold plain and simple.
>>
>>54381783
>What went wrong?

Nothing went wrong. If you compare how much game support linux had before and after SteamOS was announced it's day and night. So by all means it was a success in that it got the ball rolling.

I honestly think the only reason Valve even made it was because they knew devs wouldn't do anything if Gabe stood up and said 'Windows is backing us into a corner on games and we need to stop that'.

I honestly think if Blizzard stepped up and started to support linux it would be the last push needed as two of the biggest game devs in the world would be saying they take linux seriously.

I know a lot of cucks on this board will bitch and moan about how "LINUX ISN'T FOR GAYMERS" but there is nothing wrong with options and anything that brings support to linux is good for linux.
>>
>>54382493

buckley is such a fucking hack, delete this post
Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.