[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /g/ When can you say that you /know/ a programming language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: kingbugs.jpg (59 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
kingbugs.jpg
59 KB, 512x512
So /g/
When can you say that you /know/ a programming language?
>>
When you can write a non-trivial program without referring to any docs.
>>
>>54374644
So never
>>
>>54374644
I never wrote any non-trivial program, the post
>>
>>54374759
sorry
without referring to google
checking library docs will be necessary
>>
>>54374614
When you can formulate how you would approach a certian program or problem before you've even written a single line of code.
>>
>>54374821
>>54374644
So I can use many programming languages but if I need a tiny refresh of how one of my languages achieves something I'm a newbie that doesn't know the language?
>>
>>54374614
write a compiler u dumb fuck
>>
Implement a four player blackjack game, with options to split and double down, etc.

If you can pound that out without much effort or doc checking you're in good shape.
>>
learned C and C++ and JAVA, Javascript and PHP and python in last 5 years
Basically I can write hello world programs and familiar with the syntax. Have done datastructures in c/c++.
wise men suggest me to kill my self since I have not implemented anything productive and I cant into maths
>>
>>54374614
Fizzbuzz
>>
>>54374614
- You know and use the language elements and their purpose.
- You are aware of the standard libraries and use them. You know where to look for docs.

Bonus:
- You know how compilation and linking works (for compiled languages) and how your compiled programs or shared object files integrate with the system.
>>
When you can write quality shit off the top of your head. Yeah, maybe you will have to look something up, but you can pull 90% of the code out of your ass. I don't mean being able to write anything though. I don't expect you to write a sound driver if you don't do that regularly.
>>
>>54375353

Best practice is looking something up before you write it.

Unless you think that you're smarter than the collective intelligence of the millions of developers online.
>>
>>54374995
no one said this, knowing something is not binary
>>
>>54374614
When you have at least 3 patches submitted to the language itself.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.