[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Light Linux distro for a Pentium III PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 73wdq.jpg (280 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
73wdq.jpg
280 KB, 2048x1536
My uncle found his old Pentium III PC while he was cleaning his house. He let me take it.

I would like to use it for basic things, such as internet, ofirmatics, etc. and put it in my garage.

Which is the lightest Linux distro for a PC like this?
>>
>>54365781
Puppy is the obvious lite linux distro suggestion. How much RAM and HD space does it have? He would probably be fine with LXDE/XFCE Debian.
>>
>>54365829
256 MB/ 20 GB.

I was thinking in Lubuntu, but I think it's too much.
>>
i'd personally put arch on it

and probably dual boot it with windows me if it has a reasonable gpu or if i got one for it, to run some classic games (say what you will about ME, i personally had no problems with it, at least no more than 98SE had)
>>
windows 2000
>>
>>54365781
Install BSD on it. You're not going to be able to do anything fancy on it anyway, so why not try something new?
>>
File: 1461473581291.jpg (55 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
1461473581291.jpg
55 KB, 416x416
>>54365781
>AOL
>This computer is never obsolete

W E W
E
W

Anyway Op just install any distro, it really doesn't matter, as long as you don't install a DE you'll be fine.
>>
>>54365868
XFCE and Debian should run great. Only go with Lubuntu if it has wifi and you can't manage to put a .bin file in the root directory of a USB flash drive.
>>
>>54365928
second for OpenBSD
Don't even put X on it.
>>
File: DE and WM comparison.png (32 KB, 698x690) Image search: [Google]
DE and WM comparison.png
32 KB, 698x690
>>54365781
>>54365868
Distro of your choice and go with a minimal install, a lightweight WM instead of a DE (see pic related), and if you plan on using the internet just know that you won't be able to use javascript (or even a browser that supports it) unless you want near constant page file usage. I'd recommend Dillo for a browser or Palemoon if you added some RAM.
>>
>>54366062
Just to add, my netbook running Archbang with the i3 window manager and Palemoon browser (with some extensions) uses 248 MB at idle with no pages loaded.
>>
>>54365781
The thrash can
>>
>>54365781
Puppy or Arch with openbox.
>>
>>54365781
I'd seriously recommend OpenBSD here, with Xfce, or even better, Fluxbox. Assuming you want a graphical desktop that is.

OpenBSD gets a lot of shit about drivers around here. The thing is, once hardware is supported, it almost always will continue to work, long after active support ends. It is ideal for older hardware.

Windows in contrast deliberately breaks compatibility, but this should not surprise anyone. What is surprising is that Linux to a very huge extent does this too. With Windows you can see the logic behind it, even if it is annoying. With Linux though there's no reason to do so, aside from perhaps laziness and/or incompetence.

With OpenBSD though, they take great care to ensure that all updates to the system are backwards compatible with older hardware, at least as far as x86/AMD64, and other more common architecture go--with more exotic ones it could easily be just one developer who was interested in porting to it, and if they lose interest, or move on you could be out of luck. There's no danger of this happening with X86/AMD64 anytime soon however.

You'll be limited by the hardware itself of course, but it will have a much better chance of working at all with OpenBSD. It may even surprise you. I've got an old P4 that I installed OpenBSD on. It's perfectly suitable for light weight shit, and it's not really slow and sluggish like I originally expected. A P3 is pushing things a bit more, but give it a shot.
>>
>>54366100
This is what swap is for, silly goose.
>>
>>54366751
If you're using swap nonstop then your system will be slow as shit and just plain unenjoyable to use. That netbook runs much better than my smartphone even when I change out the 1 GB RAM stick for a 512 MB stick because it doesn't have to swap every time I go to a different page on the internet (smartphone has 1 GB of RAM and a dual core ARM A9 processor where one core benchmarks the same as the Atom N270 in my netbook).
>>
>>54366751
>swap
enjoy your laggy computer
>>
>>54365781
just put 2k on it unless you want to use it as a server
it's not really enough for anything you'd get out of using newer software anyway

BSD sounds like a fun idea too though, at least you'd get a new experience other than "everything my main PC does but slower"
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.