[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens in Windows after you assign every letter of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: anime question girl.jpg (50 KB, 736x724) Image search: [Google]
anime question girl.jpg
50 KB, 736x724
What happens in Windows after you assign every letter of the alphabet to a drive? Has anybody done that before?
>>
>>54363803
stupid animeposter
>>
>>54363803
>weebposting
>>
>>54363803
that's a really nice question
>>
Then you have to start using directories as mountpoints like every other sane OS.
>>
File: 1443086299148.gif (324 KB, 401x353) Image search: [Google]
1443086299148.gif
324 KB, 401x353
>>54363823
>>
It shouldn't be that hard to find out. ImgDisk will create RAM disks that are only 1KB.
>>
>>54363834
Did you think that was a joke?
>>
>>54363810
>>54363817
Do you both redditors even know why this board is called /g/?
>>
>>54363976
sure
/g/ames
>>
>>54363803
you start using numbers
>>
>>54363976
/g/onsubersm :DDD
>>
>>54363803
two letters
>>
>>54363803
there's a different kind of disk you can use that doesn't rely on the letters.

you're curious. that's good. look it up, and learn.
>>
>>54363803
You can't add more than that. It's a typical Microsoft fuckup. The software was designed in ancient times without any foresight and now it has tons of random limitations just like that.
>>
>>54364101
ebin
>>
Untested, but i can test it for you.
I have about 400GB unallocated on my laptop.
I'll do it thursday, though.
My guess it will either use AA:/ or tell me to go fuck myself and to use directories as mountpoints.
It's very nice that windows supports directory mountpoints.
>>
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938934.aspx
>>
>>54363803

You don't

You set up raid instead.
>>
>>54363834
he's not joking, you can mount volumes into existing folders in windows, and you will need to do that once you run out of legacy "drive letters"
>>
>>54364873
I have this on my laptop.
No need to have some shit running on your ssd?
Simply copy it to hdd and mount it into the folder where it used to be.
>>
>>54365059
you could do that, though it might be more convenient to use a symlink, for example;

C:
Windows
Program files
Users -> D:\Users (symlink)

D:
Users (where the data really is)
Videos
Other stuff

symlinks are kind of like shortcuts, only they work on a filesystem level (so they're transparent to applications), windows since vista have a command line tool to available to create them (mklink), though they can be made on earlier winodows NT versions as well
>>
>>54365206
I figured that out after realizing i had another program files for my 32 bit stuff.
I had been using linux for 6 months so i kind of forgot about stupid shit like multiple install locations.
Ended up making two folders in the hdd partition and symlinking them both.
>>
You can have your drives named whatever you want. The alphabetical thing is a throwback from DOS and unnecessary at this point. Though desu I don't know what Windows does automatically.
>>
>>54365260

Windows probably promts users to give a filename.
>>
>>54365303
i would imagine nothing happens, it'll just stay unmounted
it's not like any average user will run out of letters
>>
Drive letters are better than "983kjb5k2u3tf873gcnr938urc"

>POSIX
>Not even once
>>
>>54365372
>not defining a custom mountpoint or changing the default mountpoint to the drive label
I think you're more suitable for windows or mac
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.