[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm new to this whole open source thing and im trying to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: untitled.jpg (40 KB, 800x374) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
40 KB, 800x374
I'm new to this whole open source thing and im trying to install a new codec
downloading, unpacking tar and unpacking gz i got here and i don't know what to do now. google left me with more open question marks and the readme is equally confusing. help?
>>
>>54353312
Have you tried restarting your computer?
>>
>>54353347
its unpacked in my download folder for now. should i move it somewhere (like system32) before doing so?
>>
You got the source code. If you're not a developer then you don't care about the source, you need the compiled binary. Go back to where you found that and look for a "windows binary" or "windows installer" download
>>
what is it? what are you using it for? how are you trying to use it?
>>
>>54353545
http://www.opus-codec.org/downloads/
there is no installer so i need to manually compile it... i think

>>54353548
>what is it?
those are source files for a codec im trying to install
>what are you using it for?
I get an error 'failed to read dll [opusfile.dll] in a game i recently got, so i figured i need to install opus codec
>how are you trying to use it?
i donnu? i tried opening 'visual studio command prompt' and using cl command on various files but i'm running blind here.
>>
>>54353642
if you insist on compiling it on windows you're going to want something like MinGW or Cygwin and the dependencies it requires to compile it.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/multimedia/opus.html

open source just means that the source code is available if people want to tweak it and compile their own or contribute in some way.
You'll usually find someone that was kind enough to already compile it such as https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/opus/win32/opusfile-0.7-win32.zip
>>
What are you trying to do, OP? If all you want to do is listen to opus files, you need only use a media player capable of decoding opus. VLC, mpv, mplayer(2), foobar2000, musicbee, mediamonkey, the list goes on. you don't needto "install" the codec.

If you're trying to convert other codecs to opus, you only need opusenc.exe, which is included in the "opus-tools" package, found here: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/opus/win32/opus-tools-0.1.9-win32.zip

You don't need the source code, or to compile.
>>
>>54353921
if you read the thread, you'd know he has a game that's missing an opus dll

that said, chances are it's included in
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/opus/win32/opusfile-0.7-win32.zip
which is on the page he said it wasn't
>>
File: untitled.jpg (42 KB, 653x396) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
42 KB, 653x396
>>54353819
Whats wrong with using the cl command to compile?

>>54353994
I didn't see that
i unzipped it, but should i put it somewhere? there is no installer here
>>
>>54353312
./configure
make -j6
make install
>>
>>54354871
"'.' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

I'm using windows
>>
>>54353642
>there is no installer so i need to manually compile it... i think
Compiiling C on Windows is DLL hell, son.
>>
>>54355109
I have visual studio, I compiled stuff on this computer before i just don't remember much.
>>
>>54353312
install gentoo
>>
>>54353819
actually "open source" as defined by the OSI is functionally equivalent to "free software"
>>
Go back to Windows 10. It has more privacy, security, and support than Linux right now.
>>
>>54356276
I'm using xp
when i said open source i just meant getting the source to edit to my liking and than compiling it, as opposed to getting an installer of the developer
i don't want to make any changes, i just want oppus codec
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.