[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I allowed to package and distribute Closed-source software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1366189291153.jpg (385 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1366189291153.jpg
385 KB, 1600x1200
Am I allowed to package and distribute Closed-source software in the same zip as Open-source GPL software or is it against the rules?
>>
Only if the closed source proprietary software has no dependency or relation to the GPL'd software.
>>
>>54352253
It interacts with the GPL software and calls on it to extract metadata from files but is not connected to the GPL program's code.
>>
>>54352293
That's risky. I honestly wouldn't
>>
>>54352293
Communicating with GPL'd software is fine as long as you're communicating over existing interfaces and not linking it.
>>
>>54352335
pretty sure this is the case, it's not used as a library, and you're using "external" interfaces, as a human would use also

just keep in mind you're still distributing the gpl'd software as well, so you need to include the license text
>>
>>54352335
>>54352293
For more information: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLInProprietarySystem

As long as you can reasonably establish that both software applications are indeed entirely separate, you do not violate the GPL.
>>
>>54352218

I don't get this picture
>>
>>54352218

Isn't that what Red Hat does?
>>
>>54352372

Windows XP CD-ROM in the A:\ drive, what's confusing about that?
>>
>>54352372
>please insert /CD/ into drive /A:/
A: is conventionally the (first) floppy drive of the system, so the photographer thought it'd be funny to shove the CD into the floppy drive, as errornously requested
>>
>>54352459

I always wondered why the hard drive always started at C.
>>
>>54352537
yep, A: = floppy drive 1, B: = floppy drive 2, when hdd's came along, C:.
while there's no technical restriction on which letter is used by any particular drive (you can make a floppy drive C: or a hdd B: if you like)
but they were reserved like this early on as early software assumed this convention
>>
File: Butt-Plug.jpg (26 KB, 625x588) Image search: [Google]
Butt-Plug.jpg
26 KB, 625x588
>>54352218
readme.txt
dear user, please realize that 'the stuff i made' is open blah blah, but that the 'proprietary shit' is closed blah blah. legally you need to have a valid license to use it even with this open shit. do not use unless you obtain license. if you already have license, it's packaged within for your convenience. enjoy.
>>
>>54352569
oh yea, there's also the convention that the first cd drive is D:, as most machines only had one hdd, making a cd drive always show up as D:
some software since assumed the cd drive is D:, but not as often as the A:/B: assumption
>>
>>54352372
>>54352537
underage
>>
>zip
>GPL
...That better be gzip, bucko!
>>
>>54352644
dubs of truth
>>
>>54352372
you're too young
>>
>>54352293
That's basically was Linux does; violating the GPL.
>>
>>54352335
What is "linking it"?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.