[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the best linux distro to install on an old laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1453278480890.gif (107 KB, 600x560) Image search: [Google]
1453278480890.gif
107 KB, 600x560
what's the best linux distro to install on an old laptop that i wanna use as a shitty htpc
>>
>>54350706
Debian
>>
>>54350706
gentoo
is that the devil from chicken and cow?
>>
>>54350747
Yes
>>
>>54350730
I'm not sure Debian would be best since it has like 2gb of RAM

would lubuntu work?
>>
>>54350779
Debian is more lightweight than Lubuntu
Ubuntu is downstream from Debian, and Lubuntu is Ubuntu+LXDE
Anything you can do with Lubuntu you can do with Debian
>>
>>54350779
lubuntu is debian~
>>
Arch + light DE
>>
>>54350807
ok
>>54350811
um then why are there two different names ?
>>
>>54350836
ubuntu is based of debian
lubuntu is based of ubuntu

99% what runs of lubuntu runs on debian
>>
>>54350854
what's the 1%?
>>
>>54350863
jews
>>
what a shitty ass
>>
>>54350879
actually it looks pretty clean
>>
>>54350879
uum, please stay to my topic, thanks. Just to let you know I've reported your post, so expect a ban for an off-topic reply in your future.
>>
If you strictly want an htpc, why not see if you can install OpenElec to it? It's basically Kodi with Linux that has been stripped down to run fast and with only one purpose, to play media.
>>
BSD WITH PLEX NIGGER
>>
>>54350921
that sounds awful hard to install...
>>
>>54350913
>Submitting false or misclassified reports, or otherwise abusing the reporting system may result in a ban. Replying to a thread stating that you've reported or "saged" it, or another post, is also not allowed.
>>
>>54350956
My report was not false. Please take your shitposting elsewhere.
>>
>>54350706
>best linux distro to install on an old laptop
I would recommend spending some time researching on your own. Then ask specific questions.

>Debian
Debian would work just fine. You would want to install it with a lightweight desktop environment like LXDE. Personally I wouldn't use Debian. Folks who use it tend to have a philosophy about FLOSS. There are certain limits to what comes default with Debian because they have strong beliefs about Free/Proprietary software. If you share those beliefs then Debian is the distro for you.

>Ubuntu
Ubuntu would work fine. Again you would need to install a lightweight desktop environment. See a pattern emerging? Unlike Debian, Ubuntu doesn't have a philosophy that governs what gets installed by default on your computer (for better or for worse). Ubuntu is very popular, so there will be a lot of documentation available (but debian will have a lot as well).

>Lubuntu
Lubuntu will work fine. Lubuntu is a lightweight Ubuntu distro. You won't need to install a special desktop environment because it is already baked in. Lubuntu repos have access to all of the Ubuntu software. I use Lubuntu on all my desktops.

There are a ton of good distros out there. Asking /g/ to pick one for you is a stupid idea in my opinion. It will just lead to shit posting. Use Wikipedia and YouTube. Find something you like then ask specific questions if you have any.

Good luck.
>>
Since you are asking this question you obviously don't know enough about linux to deside for yourself. With that in mind I suggest Debian. Light weight (w/ xfce or something) and good for just about anything you can do on ubuntu. Very forgiving distro
>>
>>54350951
It's really not

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HOW-TO:Installing_OpenELEC
>>
>>54350967
>Replying to a thread stating that you've reported or "saged" it, or another post, is also not allowed.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.