[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10281 /intel-adds-crystal-well
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: Congatec_CS170.jpg (879 KB, 1422x1063) Image search: [Google]
Congatec_CS170.jpg
879 KB, 1422x1063
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10281/intel-adds-crystal-well-skylake-processors-65w-edram

THANK YOU BASED INTEL

IT'S OVER, AMD IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT
>>
>>54346962
fuck off
>>
Please.

Stop this shit.

>new processor released by intel/amd
>hurr durr amd/intel is ded lelelelelekekekekek
>>
>>54346962
Intel's fucked anon, they're bailing on the low-powered CPU market and they are laying off at least 25000 people.

You're fucked. Time to get off this ride and buy a Pi.
>>
Daily reminder that this is northwood vs barton all over again, after zen releases intel will be amd's bitch for the desktop market.

Same with amd and nvidia, its fermi/tesla all over again (fake samples, paper launches, massive dies with most probably low yields)

Also companies fighting over an imperfect manufacturing process.

Also TSMC and GlobalFoundries fucking up again with schedgules.

Also samsung fucking up with memory production again.

Also the desktop market is unstable again.

Also amd and intel are trying to get on the mobile market again and both will fail but one will fail less horribly.

Also there is another meme artchitecture that will eventually die and then its gonna be used on the server market only, again.

Also nvidia is trying to make cpu's again, but the difference this time is that now they are arm based and they didnt fail that much, also they are not licking intel's balls this time for a license.

Just like 10/20 years ago, just with different brands and names, you shitposting kids probably couldnt even walk back 10 year ago let alone 20.
>>
>>54350140
All I remember from the ATI/AMD dominance years is buying a really cheap ATI/AMD build and getting good performance for my money for ~4 years. Then my dumbass brother convinced me to switch to Intel/NVidya and I ended up with the worst setup ever for ~4 years. Fuck me, right?
>>
>>54350140
Summit Ridge is going to be literally nowhere near Kaby Lake in IPC.
AMD's Zen is not going to make up the huge FPU performance disparity, that was confirmed by Su months ago now. By AMD's clear and direct public statement Zen based Opterons are going to be "competitive" in 80% of typical server workloads, losing out in that 20%.

This isn't a second coming of anything for AMD. Zen is just AMD's way of slowly bringing back some major cash flow from the enterprise market.
If everyone quit talking out of their asses nonstop this board might just be better than wccftech. I don't have much hope for you sorry lot though.
>>
>>54350140
>Same with amd and nvidia, its fermi/tesla all over again (fake samples, paper launches, massive dies with most probably low yields)

You mean the pascal that is slower then the 980Ti?
>>
>>54350268
okay schlomo, also that 20% is pretty much where power8 based arrays apply, its mostly compute for research and stuff.
>>
>>54350268
AMD Zen is going to be much cheaper and better value. Just as most gamers go for an i5 over an i7 because of lack of real performance difference, they will go for AMD Zen over Intel.

Single motherboard family that doesn't charge you extra for the privilege of overclocking. Lower prices. Less motherboard changes.
>>
What's so special about this anyway?

Wouldn't an i5-4960K + R7 360 have better performance and cost pretty much the same?
>>
>>54352559
Yes, but i guess this is for embeded solutions
>>
>>54352801
we are all neckbeards that buy i7 and 980ti to browse 4chin.
embedded is too weak.
>>
>>54353174
This is out of context but everyone i "know" in real life that owns a 980 ti is a furry, idk why, it just came to my mind.
>>
>>54353269
Statistically speaking, furries are more likely to spend money on their hobbies.

You seen those suits? Fucking expensive.
It would not surprise me that their poor spending habits would also lead them to buy a 980Ti at the same time.
>>
>>54346962
What's that thing on top?
>>
>>54353718
128MB E-DRAM
center is Skylake-H CPU, apparently most of that is the iGPU.
bottom is chipset.
>>
>>54352446
>Single motherboard family that doesn't charge you extra for the privilege of overclocking
AMD has Black Editions/K SKUs, which blows that claim out of the water. You can't overclock half of AMD's APUs because they have locked multipliers.
>>
40-50% of Fury X performance, what SKU is that? 960?
>>
>>54354272
who would try to overclock apu and what for?

you can overclock any fx on any compatible motherboard(blacks jsut do it better) vs you can overclock only K with very special motherboard
>>
>>54354398
I'm running an apu. I'd love to overclock it because the CPU is asssss

Currently living the E1 2100 poorfag machine for now. It's awful.
>>
>>54350226

Every AMD card I ever owned was solid fucking gold even an old 9600s with 256mb of VRAM that thing could actually run half life 2 on medium settings
>>
>>54352446

If AMD gives be a 4 core 8 thread chip in the ballpark of a modern intel i7 for 200$ I will never buy intel again

they have an EXTREMELY low bar to clear
>>
File: DennardScaling.png (230 KB, 600x416) Image search: [Google]
DennardScaling.png
230 KB, 600x416
ITT: people who don't understand clockspeeds have been stagnant for the past ten years. Now to squeeze out a 1% increase in processing power companies have to spend millions on R&D and then millions more on new manufacturing techniques. They do this so that they can sell you expensive processors that aren't any faster than processors from 5 years ago.

Stop falling for the 'better processor' meme. Moore's law has reached its limit. The next big thing is quantum processors. Companies like Intel and AMD would invest in quantum if it had current consumer applications. But a viable quantum processor is decades away and processor manufacturers aren't going to spend millions on something that will be profitable decades from now. They have shareholders they need to please with increasing stock prices so they will ship unimproved processor to stupid regards like you because you gooble it up like college girls gobble up cock.
>>
>>54355087

Even if you get quantum, there is no guarantee that many useful algorithms will run on them. There will at best be quantum co-processors.

I also think you vastly underestimate the effects of new memory types and bringing dram on-die or on-package is going to have on performance.

Most processors spend all their time waiting on data from ram. So what if the low hanging fruit for system performance is adding gpu style processing and increasing memory bandwidth. Better performance will be had, even without increasing single core scaling.

I am personally pinching my pennies waiting for a schweet DP skylake xeon with AVX-512. That will probably be a $10k computer though.
>>
>>54355874
>quantum coprocessors become a reality, but $10k each
>every intelligence agency and military in the world collectively salivates at the potential to crack every encryption ever, buys half a billion dollars worth each
>massive injection of funding makes the prices plummet to $50 each
>suddenly, consumer-grade quantum encryption becomes economical
>all those agencies slowly realise they shot themselves in the foot
Bwahahaha
>>
>>54355926
There are various encryption techniques for preventing quantum computing from cracking it apparently.
>>
>>54356048
btw it's the NSA that wants those new techniques because if they can crack ours we can crack theirs.

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/tricky-encryption-stump-quantum-computers/
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.