[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
post how long you've been using vim, top 3 plugins, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: vim-editor_logo-300x300.png (35 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
vim-editor_logo-300x300.png
35 KB, 300x300
post how long you've been using vim, top 3 plugins, and top 3 protips

>8 years
plugins
>targets.vim
>vim-vinegar
>fugitive.vim
protips
>learn your damn text objects
>remap caps lock to ctrl or esc
>use space as your leader key
>>
>Not so long, been going back at it recently. 3 years-ish? Was using Emacs before.
plugins
>none
protips
>movement is really important: [], gg G, A I, hjkl, $ 0
>o O i a, inserting where you want it
>>
>>54331457
also,
>using ^[ or ^c to quit insert mode instead of escape
>>
notepad++ like a normal person.

i use a samba share and a terminal to interact with the unix world. i dont know why unix cant into modernism.
>>
>>54331292
>how long you've been using vim
2 days
>top 3 plugins
Does this thing have plug-in?
>and top 3 protips
:q to quit
Nano is more easy
There is a config file somewhere
>>
>>54331505
>not sublime
absolute memer
>>
3 years
no plugins other than youcompleteme
>>
File: waifu.jpg (31 KB, 720x469) Image search: [Google]
waifu.jpg
31 KB, 720x469
3 years or so
plugs
>buffer explorer
>nerdtree
>supertab i think
tips
vims useless without capslock & esc swapped
learn regex really well
not really vim specific but ctrl+z and $fg to go back and forth between vim & the terminal is what I do all day cause its less keys than using tmux
>>
>>54331292
5-ish years
>plugins
pathogen
autotag
TagHighlight
>protips
ciw
<C-]>, <C-o>, <C-i> for navigation
learn folding
>>
>>54331505
>implying vim is Unix

you can run vim on damn near anything, dawg.
>>
>>54331292
6 year vim user.

A few plugins i can vouch for that haven't been mentioned, not necessarily my top 3
> neomake
> vim-lion
> neocomplete or deoplete if necessary, never ycm

tips:
> learn how to set makeprg and use it excessively. You should't need to have another terminal open to run a linter.
> dont use a fuzzy finder. Use :grep, ctags, and cscope.
> marks are very underused by new users.
> dont use too many plugins, especially early on.
>>
>>54331457
>movement is really important
>hjkl is a protip

nigga at 3 years hjkl should be nearly out of your vocabulary by now. install vim-hardmode and learn to search/object your way around documents.

>>54331778
>vim-lion
fauxCD autism detected
>>
>>54331599
Why not use :sh instead of ^z and fg?
>>
>>54331292
>2 years
>YCM, the movements thingy, Mru.vim which is 1000x better than nerdtree or ctrlp, surround
>f<something> is always faster than wwll, map something to :%s/\s\+//g, capslock to esc, use rainbow-parentheses to fix broken html
>>
>got so fucking sick of viml meme
>switched to evil-mode + emacs
>comfy af
>start emacserver when x starts
>emacs now boots up faster than vim with more addons

my whole setup is like 10x more organized now too
>>
>>54331548
np++ does the same job and faster.

Sublime is the real meme.
>>
>>54332861
>your computer is so walmart that it can't start a text editor without shitting itself
>>
I dunno a year or 2?
Nerdtree and that's it. I could use a good autocomplete plugin tbqh.
>>
HJKL is a meme just use the arrow keys like a normal person
>>
>>54333732
It's true. Besides, npp is free
>>
>>54331292
a
>13 years
>because it's part of a standard Red Hat install
plugins
>none
protips
>if the system doesn't have vim, you'll have to >learn ed.
w post
q
>>
File: 1456526503101.png (591 KB, 3508x4960) Image search: [Google]
1456526503101.png
591 KB, 3508x4960
>>54331292
>>
File: 1438889989007.png (656 KB, 3508x4960) Image search: [Google]
1438889989007.png
656 KB, 3508x4960
>>54334006
>>
Around 5 years now.
>plugins
Don't go overboard on them. vim-dispatch is essential imo. vim-surround and vim-repeat are nice.
>protips
Don't install a shitton of plugins. Chances are what you want is supported by vim already. Learn the basics and learn them well. Also registers like the = register are magic.
>>
File: vim_fizz_buzz.gif (1 MB, 297x400) Image search: [Google]
vim_fizz_buzz.gif
1 MB, 297x400
>>54331292
>6 years i guess :(
plugins
>some form of autocomplete
>a package manager
>whatever else you find helpful
protips
>read other people's vimrc
>:%s/find-word/replace-with/gc
>q<key> to set a macro to <key> see the gif
>remap esc to jk or jj or w/e you like
>ciw change inner word when you end up inside a word
>'. sends you to the last change in buffer
>use marks
>use your buffers
>vimgolf

can't wait for neovim
>>
File: 1455802389865.png (370 KB, 1780x1207) Image search: [Google]
1455802389865.png
370 KB, 1780x1207
>>54331292
>>
Nano
>>
>>54331505
>notepad++
I literally cry every day that this is the best reasonable editor in the world today
>>
Casually for many years, I could hjkl and i and :wq.

Seriously for 3 or 4 years, went thru vimcasts.org and learnt proper text motions.

I use fugitive, lightline, cscope with GNU Global tags.

My tips would be learn text motions. Disable the arrow keys and learn to jump around words and letters. Sit and think before you move the cursor, describe where you want to go in plain English then translate that to vim.

Also keep it as vanilla as possible until you git gud. Don't go filling your vimrc with meme shit from faggots githubs. Just use the damn editor like it's meant to be used, it's better that way.

If your vimrc has over 128 lines it's too big.
>>
I proggram in PHP, JS/HTMl/CSS

I have been using Vim for a little under a year. right now all I ever use is syntax highlighting.

what do you recommend I do for plugins and what not. I want to step my Vim game up
>>
>>54335583
you probably just want emmet.vim for fast HTML markup editing and vim-dispatch for setting off linting tasks. most everything else would be optional.
>>
>>54336507
cool I'll give them a look, but DESU I have been trying to install a pluging for the past hour with no success. Im going to try and start from scratch.

Im in ~/.vim and put in the emmet plug in you recommended. and then tried to run one of the commands but it did nothing. how do i troubleshoot this?
>>
>>54331541
Audible kek
>>
>>54333985
What shitty system doesn't have VI? It's standard
>>
>forever
Plugins
A lot
Neocomplete
Vundle
Syntastic
Some cool trendy color themes
A lot more
Protips
Use emacs instead, spacemacs is a cool start I suppose.
>>
>>54331292
>3 weeks
>I'll add them eventually
>use vim-tutor, it's actually really nice intro.

Truth be told I was using nano but vim it fine too. I see why people are more efficient with it but it takes a while to get used to it. Maybe after few months I'll be decent.
>>54331541
:)
>>
>>54331292
I use vim since 4 years and I can tell you guys one thing: Don't install any plugins or change your vimrc before you actually learned how to use Vim. The most bindings I see in random dotfiles are overwriting essencial awesomeness Vim provides. 4 years, and I still don't know all motions. The only plugin I'm using is syntastic.

Furthermore, powerline belongs into the trash.
>>
File: 1460241912979.jpg (99 KB, 775x828) Image search: [Google]
1460241912979.jpg
99 KB, 775x828
>>54331292
About 4 years. Got tired of fucking around with .vimrc's and plugins and moved to Atom with vim keybindings.

Still use a near-vanilla vim for quick edits in a terminal but all other text editing is done in Atom.
>>
>>54337018
Tried to install Atom yesterday and it stuck on
Installing apm...
Had a really rough day, so I just cancelled it and continued with Sublime.
>>
>>54332861
>af

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>54336933
hi seriously curious i'm using vim for 3 years now, and i love some plugins, airline is among them with nerdtree and ctrl-P, and while you might be right about the vimrc ( i just copĂ­ed one ofrom the internet at the beggining) the more i learned about vim the more i understood my vimrc, and why those options were important to me, not much keybinding though all keybindings were done by me after i knew what i was doing, for instance toggling relative numbers with f2, what's so bad about Airline?
>>
>>54331292
>3 years
plugins
>surround.vim
>supertab
>delimitMate
protip
nnoremap S i<cr><esc>k$
>>
>>54331292
>how long
maybe 10 years
>plugins
don't really care for plugins, but i do like ctrlp
>tips
ci"
m a c r o s
a
c
r
o
s
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.