[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the odds I can make some extra money remoting into peoples
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: turndownfor.png (242 KB, 315x520) Image search: [Google]
turndownfor.png
242 KB, 315x520
What are the odds I can make some extra money remoting into peoples computers and removing malware? Sort of like a scammer but without the scam?

I know Best Buy does this and they usually charge about $150 for it, I assume I could charge between $20 and $40. Is this reasonable? Would anyone do it?
>>
File: Unnecessary Tripcodes.png (63 KB, 1125x681) Image search: [Google]
Unnecessary Tripcodes.png
63 KB, 1125x681
>>
>>54331275
Slim to none, you could do an hours of work for a little old lady and get a ten. Those will be your most common customers. Also kids that are retarded and dont have money either.
>>
To remove malware you really need to format and reinstall.
>>
>>54333772
Yep. Anything else isn't a guarantee. Don't know why more people don't realize this.
>>
>>54333772
To remove malware you really need to replace every single hardware component.
>>
>>54334349
>Anything else isn't a guarantee.
Neither is reformatting / reinstalling.

>malware can infect your BIOS
>malware can infect your sound chip
>malware can infect your attached storage (NAS, flash etc.)
>malware can infect your hard drive controllers
>malware can infect your GPU
>malware can infect your attached peripherals (keyboard, mouse etc.)

All of these have been demonstrated via proofs of concept. Go look it up.

If a security researcher can do it, so can a malware author.
>>
>>54334393
Show me where this is occurring "in the wild"
Give me a name or link to a malware removal company that has written about it.
>>
Not much. Cucksquad does other services like data recovery and printer setup (not joking) to get the green. Just doing virus removal won't get you much.

You would have a better time buying stuff when they hit low prices and re-selling them on ebay or selling AM1 desktop builds with windows for like $400 or more.
>>
>>54334559
You just described the business model of computer stores that went out of business 10 years ago, if they didn't go out of business they are barely scraping by as the single owner/operator.
>>
>>54334597
>what is ibuypower, origin, HP, digital storm, lenovo, dell, ect
Fact is most people are clueless retards who can be roped in to buying a PC if it has shiny things like 8-16GB of RAM and 2TB+ HDDs which aren't that expensive desu. Add in some buzzwords like "gaming" and you're good.

However I do agree that the pc industry has slowed down some what. Not sure if things will get better as time goes on especially since most people want laptops now.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.