[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Laptop to Replace Desktop, or Supplement?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: laptop.jpg (246 KB, 1314x876) Image search: [Google]
laptop.jpg
246 KB, 1314x876
Hello /g/, I don't post often but I wanted some advice regarding a purchase I hope to make soon.
I need a laptop for class, and have also been needing an upgrade on my desktop. Should I get a midrange laptop and upgrade the desktop separately, or get a high-end gayming laptop and kill two birds with one stone?
For reference, my current laptop is the lowest end Yoga 11e money can buy, and my current desktop is a prebuilt Dell with a clearance-aisle graphics card, i5-4460, and 16 gigs of DDR3 RAM.
>>
>>54330948
if you're tight for cash, get a chromebook and put ubuntu on it via crouton. 16.04 is available now, so it's all updated. a good acer chromebook costs about $250
>>
>>54330948
Are you wanting to be a normy with your macbook pro sitting at starbux doing your web dev?
>>
>>54330948
whats your actual budget

also
>i5-4460, and 16 gigs of DDR3 RAM.
you dont need no new PC
maybe few upgrades, like SSD or higher tier GPU, but not a new desktop PC
>>
If you care about gaming, wait until more laptops that support eGPUs are out. Razer has a laptop for like $1,000 and you can buy a $400 eGPU case that you can install a desktop GPU in (I think it has to be a compatible AMD one though, although Nvidia could enable support with a driver update, which they probably will since this is an open standard based on Thunderbolt 3). The enclosure is $500 if you don't buy it in a bundle with a Razer laptop.

I think the XPS 13/15 would also support the new eGPU standard since it has a Thunderbolt 3 port, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>54331077
This.

Get something like a Chromebook, and keep your PC, it is fucking fine.

You will need to upgrade the power supply, and the graphics card.
>>
>>54330948
an HP envy will do pretty good for classwork, the FX7500 APU one though, relitavely cheap. decent on-board graphics, but the battery is pretty shite, I got one myself for classes, it does a pretty solid job... Oh, also replace the fucking HDD on it, comes to like $600 tops, new battery & Kingston 480 GB SSD are all you need basically.
>>
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-stealth
BTW here it is. If this kind of thing is attractive to you, kf wait a few months to see if other companies release more competitive products. The eGPU over thunderbolt isn't restricted to razer and other companies should release similar products and you can use any GPU enclosure and GPU that has drivers to support it with any laptop that supports the eGFX thing (the official name for it). Because honestly, even $400 is a lot more than the parts to make the enclosure are worth. Other companies have to release cheaper solutions sometime.
>>
>>54331343
I actually got one of those (HP Envyfag here), it serves well, got the 1440p 256 GB one, it's pretty light, keys are eh, but will do. though i have a sticker on the razer logo on the back. It's more of an ultrabook than a gaming laptop.
>>
>>54331343
>>54331392
I think I'll go for this and upgrade the desktop later on. As many of you pointed out, I don't really need a desktop upgrade urgently.
>>
>>54331437
That sounds best. Just get the $1,000 laptop (or more if you want upgrades) and get the eGPU enclosure when the prices come down.
>>
>>54331437
senpai I'm still running my Sandy Bridge and 780. only upgraded SSDs. get the goddamn laptop.
>>
Does anybody have experience with replacing their desktop with a laptop? I don't care about gaming.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.