[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11
File: 10 years of innovation.jpg (73 KB, 476x792) Image search: [Google]
10 years of innovation.jpg
73 KB, 476x792
What went wrong?
>>
less utility is more marketable
>>
the bottom is easier to use and does more.
What is the problem?

I really want these hipster "I miss the days off dos" to die off.
>>
File: 1461616638180.jpg (33 KB, 281x340) Image search: [Google]
1461616638180.jpg
33 KB, 281x340
>>54331652
The bottom one can't even make use of spreadsheets, word documents or even decompress archives.
The older one can
>>
>>54331711
>make use of spreadsheets, word documents or even decompress archives
it literally can
>decompress archives.
why though
>>
>>54331711
Yes the bottom can edit spreadsheets, and word documents.
Neither can do those task well, as thats for a real computer.

Are you actually compressing files on your phone? How about 3d rendering? Or particle simulations? Phones are the right tool for that job!
>>
>>54331734
>>54331742

I want a tool that does 1000 jobs poorly rather than a tool that does a few well.
>>
>>54331711
http://www.apple.com/ios/numbers/
http://www.apple.com/ios/pages/
http://www.apple.com/ios/keynote/
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/izip-zip-unzip-unrar-tool/id413971331?mt=8

Fuck off with your shit
>>
>>54331711
Yes, but the top one looks like complete ass. If you want something you made to sell well, you have to take factors like these into account.
>>
>>54331652
>easier to use
literally have to be retarded to not understand how to use the phone above

>>54331734
>i don't need business things
>nobody needs business things
i bet you use a macbook to produce your fuckin music too
>>
>>54331734
>why though
you've never wanted to download something in an archive?
thankfully the Superior Mobile OS has no trouble doing this
>>
>>54331772
Top one was also slow, buggy, unstable and had no support after a year.
>>
>>54331782
>business things
Yea, no one edits spreadsheets on their fucking phone you nub.
Get a job you neet faggot. The real world isnt full or dumbshits running crappy phones.
>>
this thread is completely fucking stupid.

-Sent from my palm pilot that took me 20 years to post this
>>
>>54331808
>his job doesn't require him to unzip documents remotely
and you're calling me a neet? you know stocking shelves is for highschool children right?
editing spreadsheets is not a requirement, but a fucking file system certainly is
>>
WHEN THE FIRST IPHONES CAME OUT THEY COULDN'T DO 1/10TH OF WHAT OTHER SMARTPHONE OSES LIKE PALMOS, SYMBIAN AND WINDOWS MOBILE COULD DO BUT IT WAS MARKETED DOWN PEOPLE'S THROATS AND NORMIES FELL FOR THE FUCKING TRAP

BACK THEN THEY SAID SMARTPHONES WERE TOO COMPLICATED FOR AMERICANS SO THEY SHOULD BUY AN IPHONE INSTEAD.

THIS IS THE SHIT FUTURE YOU CHOSE!!!

IPHONES DIDN'T EVEN HAVE 3RD PARTY APPLCIATIONS OR EVEN AN APP STORE, ALL APPS WERE WEB APPS.

YOU KIDS WILL NEVER KNOW THE WHOLE TRUTH
>>
>>54331652
>the bottom is easier to use
What the fuck do you need your phone to do? Hold your hand? Use 70 point flashing font for every button and feature? What the fuck was hard to use about Windows Mobile or especially Palm OS? And if having more than one button is difficult, then how the shit do you survive on a real computer?

>and does more.
Like what, really, other than more effective web surfing? File system access feels like a tacked-on afterthought, no expandability, applications are just shitty web front-ends with gimped, bloated touch interfaces designed for ham planet fingers, software keyboards are garbage that eat half the screen and make even writing out this post annoying as fuck.

I'm not one to say we need to go back to the old ways, but this stupid polar opposite "everything new is an improvement is every way no matter what and if you don't like it you're a stupid HIPSTER!" consumerist shit is just as dumb. Manufacturing a device to better appeal to the lowest common denominator will come with some downsides AND some upsides, some of us just wish for a few more devices that offer more of the latter.
>>
>>54331976
Damn chill dude fuck.
>>
>>54331808
>Yea, no one edits spreadsheets on their fucking phone you nub.
But that isn't true at all, considering the plethora of office productivity suites that have existed on phone/PDA platforms since the beginning of time.

Maybe they don't do it a lot anymore, but whoopdy fucking doo I wonder why, maybe it's because you can't see shit when the shitty keyboard that falls apart without predictive software takes up half of the screen and the other half is devoted to giant grandma-sized buttons?
>>
>>54331808
??? Oh yeah no one needs or wants to get work done on the hour or so long communte to work.
>>
>>54332046
is this your first time on /g/ or something?
>>
>>54332085
No, people don't do office work from their phones because it's painful in general. Why would anyone use a phone for office work instead of a pc? Why would anyone use a closet as an office?
>>
>>54331976
>Like what, really, other than more effective web surfing?
3g/4g connectivity
takes photos
views photos
speech to text
text to speech
flashlight
video
music
maps/gps
battery life
no stylus
larger variety of programs
>>
>>54332122
It's been a while.
>>
Absolutely nothing went wrong you retarded neckbeard. Everything is as it should be, everyone more or less is using smartphones and ecosystems today are pretty good.

You people love to think up new problems that don't actually exist so you have something to complain about.
>>
>tell people on /g/ about the eking s515
>HURR NEET FAGGOT GET OFF MY BOARD REEEEEEEEE
>full win xp with phone and sms functionality

you want to know why no one has an eking s515? because it was too ahead for its time. no one wants a full blown version of windows in their pocket unless they have windows 10 phone or something. its shit sub 2 hour battery life, terrible wifi and ok 3G but less than an hour of talk time is not feasible in the business enviroment.

I use air watch on my phone for work and pulse secure to VPN to work from home and when I'm mobile / stuck in traffic / etc.

that generation of UMPC / PDA's are dead and will never ever come back to life no matter how hard you shill your old ideas.
>>
>>54331808
Ok fucking kill yourself
I HAD to use my Palm PDA to read emails on the way to work. I HAD to use it to look over and schedule meetings, presentations and the occasional fuck-up I was being forced to fix.
I HAD to use my Casio Databank to schedule and remind me of the 30 different people I had to call everyday.
Just because all you faggots do is go on facebook and twitter with your phones doesn't mean it isn't important for people to work remotely.
Even blackberries couldn't replace my PDA and Android is dogshit.
Now a days I just use my databank for scheduling and my xperia for emails and spreadsheets/powerpoints. Nothing will ever beat resistive touch, but at least I can see charts in color now and don't have to hookup to a modem to get email and attachments.
>>
>>54329611
Have you ever typed anything with a stylus? Well there's your answer.
>>
>>54332340
You can't read emails and schedule meetings on an android?
>>
File: HP-HW6915.jpg (78 KB, 372x622) Image search: [Google]
HP-HW6915.jpg
78 KB, 372x622
iPAQ master race
>>
>>54329611
>dumb phone
Both are smartphones OP. Apple didn't invent the smartphone when they released the iPhone, they just get credit with creating the generic black glass slate trend we've been stuck in for almost a decade.
>>
>>54332383
Google applications are impotent when you want to do more than just basic shit.
The UI's aren't fluid or intuitive and sandwich menus are cancer.
I want all my information at a glance, not fuck around with menus.
Also, no I can't read emails properly on android because it want's to always be connected, and there's no real option to download attachments for all incoming emails automatically ( I don't use gmail)
When my PDA was useable (it can't open modern word and excel documents) I would just hook it up to the modem to sync while I made my coffee, program my databank while I drank it (it took 2 minutes to schedule an entire day + alarm reminders), and I would be off.
I would then do all my shit on the train and it just worked.
No I have to make sure to download all 30+ emails and attachments each morning before I leave. I still use my data bank for scheduling
A literal 30 year old casio watch is better at scheduling than a modern smartphone. Think about that
>>
>>54332160
>because it's painful in general
No shit, for reasons already mentioned.

It's not nearly as bad on stylus-driven devices, however.

>>54332162
Literally none of this was made possible by dumbing down phone operating systems and feature sets to make them more soccer mom-friendly, and later Winmo/Palm smartphones and PDAs had most of those features anyway other than newer standards like 3G/4G that didn't exist when they were new.

>larger variety of programs
Total bullshit. Both Palm and Windows mobile had massive software bases beyond shitty cloud front-ends.
>>
onscreen keyboards are shit and hard as fuck to correctly type anything with, i spend more time backspacing to correct typos than actually writing posts with it, It's shit.

Ill be glad when the "smartphone" meme dies.
>>
>>54332456
You went from can't to don't want to really quick. Why don't you just write an app to do what you want and shut up about it?
>>
>>54332484

>Ill be glad when the "smartphone" meme dies

How delusional are you exactly?
>>
>>54332505
Why would I do that when shit was made decades ago work better?
Pic related has served me better than any smartphone has
>>
>>54332529
it's shit. mobile browsing is shit too, smartphones are nothing more than overpriced mp3 players with gps.
>>
>>54332562
kek, sure thing bud
>>
>>54329611
The top one isn't a phone.
>>
>>54332556

>unironically wearing one of these watches

I can smell you form over here
>>
Windows mobile was THE ope platform
Then MS made a shitty iphone clone out of it so everyone moved to android
Yes, there were Pajeet ROMs for many windows devices back then

>>54332607
What form?
>>
Reminder that both C and UNIX were designed with the "Worse is better" principle in mind.
>>
>>54331711
Windows Phone did. Somewhat.
>>
>>54332562

Everything is just a 'something' with a 'something' else in the end. Its all technology which computes, which runs applications to do tasks.

You can't fake being tech literate by pretending you yearn for the good old days when you had your calculator screen Ericsson phone. The statement you've made could only be shitposted by a total retard. You think mobile browsing is shit? That's nice, but billions of smartphone units sold say otherwise. Nobody thinks mobile browsing is shit. Smartphones are basically essential tools that everyone has. Today's infrastructure accommodates them well.

Could you perhaps explain how the world would ditch smartphones any time soon? Or are you just shitposting retarded opinions?
>>
>>54332607
The databank has literally made my job 90% easier for about 15 years now
I'm sorry you're 12 and can't understand anything that isnt an app
>>
>>54332556

Weapons-grade autism. You idiotic, edgy little liar. Either that or you don't know how to use a smartphone, making you the tiny tiny minority, and also by that definition, a total retard. Either way you're a retard of some kind.
>>
>>54332708
I'm sorry that you only use your phone for facebook and don't need technology for your job
>>
>>54332678
you make a lot of assumptions about me.

i'll tell you this much, i have a few apps sitting on the android store right now, and i own a smartphone myself.
>>
>>54332675
The joke is that windows mobile did everything better than windows phone
>>
>>54331970
>IPHONES DIDN'T EVEN HAVE 3RD PARTY APPLCIATIONS OR EVEN AN APP STORE
But that's wrong, retard. You had to connect to iTunes.
>>
>>54332556
If you have one of these, why do you even need a pc? Clearly this is sufficient for all use cases.
>>
>>54332745

Yes I'm sure all your peers and co-workers and others in you profession, whatever it may be, use Casio watches from 2001 to organize their day. Just admit you're a special retard who can't keep up with modern tech designed for even the biggest of mouth-breathers and deal with it.

>>54332753

I had a feeling you had nothing of substance to say on the subject of how society would ditch their digital handheld pacifiers.
>>
>>54332903
The only coworker I have with a similar job as mine uses an HP PDA and a Palm pre.
Everyone else uses a Blackberry and an iphone, this is pretty standard throughout both health care companies, hospitals and research labs.
So no, I'm not the only one dissatisfied with smartphones.
>>
>>54329611
Dumb people need phones to think for them
>>
File: 1451122657888.jpg (25 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1451122657888.jpg
25 KB, 403x403
>>54329611
windows mobile was such a great OS, literally the best mobile OS ever made to this day (yes better than shitdroid and iJew)

but instead of improving on it winblows decided to shit on their former customers to go after the stupid cunt and the olderly who have to have things dumbed down to the maximum
i miss it.
>>
>>54333048
Even better than BB10OS?
>>
File: 1396585421263.jpg (12 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
1396585421263.jpg
12 KB, 267x200
>>54333086
since BB10 is severly closed, yes.
beside, its dead.

which also make me facepalm hard because it was literally the only good thing Blackberry had.
>>
>>54333122
>it's dead
Got a source on that?
>>
File: 1459792020470.png (494 KB, 1000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1459792020470.png
494 KB, 1000x2000
>>54329611
>What went wrong?
>>
>>54332903
>handheld pacifiers
took the words right out of my mouth.
>>
>>54332340
No you go kill yourself.
PDA's were awesome only because laptops had shit battery life and weighed a ton. But everything about them was god awful and applications were retard expensive.

Now it doesn't god damn matter because a fully functional mini notebook with insane battery life that fits into a small bag.

>my zip files

really now.
>>
>>54332607
>>54332708
>but that's not trendy or pretty BAWWWWWWW
Holy fuck, what a bunch of insufferably insecure crybabies.
>>>/fa/

>>54333589
Mini notebooks are shitty in their own way, most notably they have shit keyboards and require you to carry around an annoying little faggy man purse instead of just fitting everything you need in your fucking pocket.

>>my zip files
>but I DON'T use my pocket computer as a pocket computer, so why should you?
Why does /g/ go through such lengths to defend Apple's effort to turn PDAs and phones into glorified internet appliances that cost more than a real computer?
>>
>>54331976

desu senpai the SSD implementations of Windows Mobile were shit.

I personally can't stand Android or Windows Mobile in their latest forms.
Palm OS was the only "mobile" OS I liked.
I still use my Palm Visor from time to time.
>>
>>54332395

Enjoy your failing Li-Ion batteries.
>>
>>54332456

It sounds like you need an email client.

I personally prefer scheduling on paper.
>>
>>54332484
>onscreen keyboards are shit and hard as fuck to correctly type anything with

This, how the fuck does anyone get anything done?
My fingers aren't even that big, but I can't stand to type on screen for more than a Google search.
>>
>>54334036
>doesn't know how to replace and take care of a phone battery
maybe iToys and clones are more your speed
>>
>>54332484
Priv
inb4 "I'm too lazy to learn how to use a basic OS because it actually has a good looking gui"
>>
>>54334091
Swype style typing is easy and pretty accurate. Don't even need to look at the keyboard.
>>
>most coworkers use at least iphone 6
>get in a bind with a task
>facetime a user instantly without any extra steps; just go to contacts > then hit the video button next to his name
>show him the issue in real time
>tells me how to fix it without guessing, or trying to explain what I see
>since this was a positive experience I now remember how to fix said problem

yep, these shitty toys are real crap!
>>
>>54334139

I've been nursing laptop and camera batteries for years.

The batteries in PDAs are just shit.
>>
>>54334601
So your only argument is pretending videochatting is an Apple exclusive technology?
>>
>>54334659
You're a real cock monger, ya know that?
>>
>>54331970
>WHEN THE FIRST IPHONES CAME OUT THEY COULDN'T DO 1/10TH OF WHAT OTHER SMARTPHONE OSES LIKE PALMOS, SYMBIAN AND WINDOWS MOBILE COULD DO BUT IT WAS MARKETED DOWN PEOPLE'S THROATS AND NORMIES FELL FOR THE FUCKING TRAP
>BACK THEN THEY SAID SMARTPHONES WERE TOO COMPLICATED FOR AMERICANS SO THEY SHOULD BUY AN IPHONE INSTEAD.
>THIS IS THE SHIT FUTURE YOU CHOSE!!!
>IPHONES DIDN'T EVEN HAVE 3RD PARTY APPLCIATIONS OR EVEN AN APP STORE, ALL APPS WERE WEB APPS.
>YOU KIDS WILL NEVER KNOW THE WHOLE TRUTH

ABSOLUTELY FUCKING THIS A MILLION TIMES
>>
>>54334683
Nah
>>
>>54334704
You didn't know? Glad I could be the first to inform you.
>>
>>54334727
Man you must be stupider than I thought. I was disagreeing.
>>
>>54334741
I was misinterpreting your response for my advantage, like you did the other anon, dingleberry.
>>
>>54334659

no, I am saying that smart phones with integrated technologies make my work flow more efficient. It's easier, for this example, to use facetime than to have my coworker log into skype, or create an account at that, make sure he's logged in, find my "skype name" and try to phone me. That's too many steps than just contacts > video icon.
>>
>>54332162
You left out
>gives the government and certain companies regular updates on your location and other information about you
>>
>>54331711
bait
>>
>muh nostalgia goggles
Just use an Android phone idiots. Unless you enjoy having hardware that is 100x worse in every imaginable way. It's also very elitist to pretend your fedora phone is somehow for "smart" people like yourself.
>>
>>54333432
underrated
>>
>>54332173
since I could
>>
masterrace
>>
>>54335151
>just use a patch-on-patch clusterfuck JVM glued to a linux kernel to run web apps! it's like SOO great!
>and it has muh cores and megahurts!
who gives a fuck hipster
>>
>>54335325
Shit, I remember using that years ago. It even had a package manager.
>>
File: 41D6STED28L.jpg (31 KB, 312x500) Image search: [Google]
41D6STED28L.jpg
31 KB, 312x500
>>54332162
>3g/4g connectivity
>battery life
>speech to text
this is a time advantage, not a platform advantage, of course palm/winmo devices are going to be shit at this because they died before they were improved/invented

>takes photos
>views photos
digital cameras have been a thing for decades, plus most later palm/winmo devices had built-in cameras and were capable of viewing images for years already

>text to speech
literally a thing since the fucking '80s

>flashlight
so innovative. my winmo phone has a flashlight function on its camera flash and pre-camera PDAs had flashlight applications as well, though not as effective because they were backlight-based

>music
are you fucking 9 or something?
this was literally one of the biggest reasons I wanted a smartphone/PDA back in the pre and even post-iphone era, even today they make fine PMPs

>video
any mid-to-late era palm/winmo device can play video

>maps/gps
there were even freeware applications to do this shit, for the latter you could just install a card into your system if it wasn't already featured

>no stylus
you act like having an interface that is capable of showing more than three buttons without having to resort to a hamburger menu is a bad thing

>larger variety of programs
palm had an innumerable amount of applications because it was so well established
winmo also had a ton of applications plus official "ports" of desktop software like photoshop and office
>>
>>54335640
modern smartphones are better at literally everything in the previous list. "time advantage" counts, because it's one reason why you're not going to be carrying around a palm pilot in 2016.
>>
>>54335704
you're not wrong, but that's the entire reason people even make these threads and begrudge some aspects of modern smartphones, because those ways were left behind in order to dumb down the system or streamline convenience to make it more profitable
>>
>tfw Note series is the last line of phones with a proper input method for navigating a condensed info screen or complex interface
>the only thing you can do with it is angrybirds and other ARM shit
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.