[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>pic related >use linux they say >linux has great hardware
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7
File: 81SrOg6dUxL._SL1500_.jpg (171 KB, 1500x1024) Image search: [Google]
81SrOg6dUxL._SL1500_.jpg
171 KB, 1500x1024
>pic related
>use linux they say
>linux has great hardware support they say
>download arch, ubuntu, mint, and fedora
>zero audio support

well into the trash linux goes. how can it not support my sound card from 2012? 4 years?

it works amazingly well in windows. from 7, then my jump to 8.1 and now 10. i shouldn't have to replace my sound card for a """""free""""" operating system. something simple as sound should work out of the box.
>>
>>54327593

> expecting audio, video, or wireless to work out of the box on a new Linux install

Haha.

Linux is a hobbyist OS, it's not meant for day to day usage.
>>
You fell for a joke. Nobody here actually uses linux.
>>
>soundblaster
>good
AHAHHAHHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA HOLY FUCK WHAT
>>
>>54327593
Blame creative, they absolutely refuse to release any documentation for most of the
hardware in that series of audio cards.
>>
File: 1459651346547.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459651346547.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>54327593
because no one in the linux community would actually fall for the discrete audio card meme
>>
There is zero financial motivation for first-class citizen support legacy or bleeding-edge hardware for dusktap loonucks and therefore it won't happen, ever.

This is a common problem and a common complaint and has been since the late 90's, and despite coming a long way in UX, better standardization in userland platform code (especially as Linux is bleeding out into more and more userland use-cases) and hardware support for more mainline peripherals, it'll still always lag far behind competitors.

It's always kind-of funny to me that people are still re-learning and re-re-learning that software development, maintenance and deployment isn't free-as-in-beer.
>>
>>54327593
>it works amazingly well in windows.
I don't believe you. I have the very card on OP and its driver are SHIT on Windows. Not existing at all on Linux though, despite Creative annuncing them.
>>
>>54327593
Nobody uses Linux here because it lacks video games. This is a Windows board.
>>
>>54327694
That video isn't real is it?
>>
>>54327593
Why not just use your onboard soundcard?
>>
>>54327685
>blame creative for Linux being shitty
If Linux was so great, the soundcard would work
>>
>>54327763
>Why not just use your onboard soundcard?

ignoring this part of op:
> i shouldn't have to replace my sound card for a """""free""""" operating system.
> something simple as sound should work out of the box.
>>
File: tv.png (210 KB, 1136x669) Image search: [Google]
tv.png
210 KB, 1136x669
I wrote this six years ago. It's been ages since I've even had a cable subscription or a need for a tuner card, and I've purchased a HDHomeRun since, but I'd be willing to bet five-to-one that the situation still hasn't improved.

Moral of the story is that if it's something that will go into a Google Chromebook, a business laptop ordered by companies which use Ubuntu/Debian for dev/ops/etc., or some sort of cloud virt integration framework masquerading as a physical device, it almost certainly has good support on Linux. Anything else, fuck you.
>>
>>54327737
You made a bit of a mistake in your post. You are on /g/, not on /v/
>>
>>54327694
I imagine he was listening to d12

>>54327751
Youve never been moved by music?
>>
>>54327774
Do you think Microsoft makes the drivers for it? Of course not. That's what the manufacturer has to do.
>>
>>54327780
This is a Windows board anon, only newfriends fall for the Linux meme.
>>
>>54327677
Kill yourself, Lincuck.
>>
>>54327780
Get out newfag, do you even know what /g/ stands for? /g/aymes
.>>54327737
Literally THIS. Why even life if you can't play league of legends? fuck off with your dumb lunix faggots.
>>
>>54327793
Enjoying music is a meme
Enjoying life is a meme
You just criticise it until you die
>>
>>54327778
I really feel bad for you.
>>
>>54327834
>league of legendary fail
MOBAs are the most cancerous "videogames" ever. Seriously, kid, your generation of games is shit, please go play pre-1995 games for a few years and realize that nearly all games since then are complete garbage. Yes, even the ones available for GNU.
>>
>>54327847
You mean you didnt cry at [how bad] tlob [was]?
>>
File: 1457557718158.jpg (166 KB, 750x737) Image search: [Google]
1457557718158.jpg
166 KB, 750x737
Every driver I've ever needed for Windows, beyond graphical ones, has worked directly out of a Linux installation.
They all had better stock driver support than Windows 7.
I have no idea what the fuck you people are doing wrong.
>>
>not using an offboard amp and dac
shigg
>>
>>54327909
>works on MY pc
>oh, and my friend's pc
>so therefore it should work flawlessly out of the box for all of the hundreds of thousands of peripherals, components and revisions out there

Does anyone on this fucking board actually have a job?
>>
>>54327777
If sound is so "simple" why do you have an additional card to do something that the motherboard can do without driver issues and at no added expense?
>>
Digital output works with OSS4.
>>
>>54327816
And if Linux wasn't so shitty, they would bother to make drivers for it.
>>
>>54328115
Nah its a catch 22
>>
>>54327816
Microsoft does have a pretty giant lab and mostly-automated testing process for ensuring that the final product shipped from the manufacturer works as expected, however.
>>
File: 1453725478579.gif (816 KB, 320x304) Image search: [Google]
1453725478579.gif
816 KB, 320x304
>>54327626

/thread
>>
>>54327593

Linux doesnt even support WIFI cards half the time, and once I had the ethernet port not work at all on a fresh installation.

You thought a sound card would work? haha.
>>
>>54327593

for starters, you should stop using placebo hardware on your PC
>>
>>54327593
I feel your pain, OP. Try using optical output and you'll find a fresh hell waiting for you. Try disabling PulseAudio, use plain ALSA instead. I had to change from GNOME to KDE because PulseAudio is a hard dependency in the former.

I just got tired of fucking around with an old card, got a new one, works fine (w/o PA).
>>
>>54327694

>GIZMODO

found some shit right there
>>
>>54327778
Not OP, but I too gave up trying to find support for my sound card.
Even when I found the right program and driver, still no sound.
I even downloaded and installed the latest stable kernel just to be safe, but nah no sound.

Thank fuck I made a system image before switching over to Linux.
>>
ITT: trolls and people who have never used Linux.
>>
>>54327593
What a shit sound card. Not an excuse for it not working (it actually probably would if you uninstall PulseAudio), but do yourself a favor and don't buy shit hardware next time around.
>>
>>54327694
Is he crying because it sounds good or bad?
>>
>>54327834
League works fine on Linux, you retard. I even timed the loading and it was significantly faster on average.
>>
>>54327593
> 2016
> Still buying and using PCI sound cards
Hah...
>>
for anybody that knows anything about soundblaster cards will cringe at this thread by just remembering that a majority of the drivers broke when windows 7 and 8 where released and a volunteer wrote the updated drivers

they offer shit soundcards with the same chips from the 90´s and bigger transistors the drivers are a joke for windows or any os for that matter and they just dont release there specs because they use the same tech over and over again for almost 20 years without any real technical improvement

so you point about cards being not supported

if you buy a card you should get drivers.
if you buy shit you should get shit.
>>
>>54328965
b-b-but the community! muh freedums
the Open Source Community has an ethical responsibility to produce and maintain high-quality and open-source drivers for such closed peripherals, and therefore it's only a matter of time before they're supported, right?
>>
>>54327593
Creative is terrible about developing Linux drivers. Nvidia does a pretty decent job, just get an hdmi audio splitter.
>>
>>54329034
At the end of the day real work goes into things and you aren't owed anything for nothing. You simply should choose hardware vendors that share your principles as much as you can if they matter that much.
>>
>>54327774
wtf, I don't even use linux. but you sound like a mad 12 year-old
>>
>>54329034
you do not seem to understand the point

creative creates shitty drivers on any platform

they dont support them properly on any platform

saying that the drivers are shit is redundant couse you use a creative card
>>
>>54328963
same
>>
>>54327953
>>54327626
Literally everyone at me job uses linux. Actual software engineering part of a company, for you guys.
>>
To get off this bait topic, why is Creative still HERE? Shouldn't they have filed chapter 11 by now?
>>
>>54329125
> Literally everyone at my job uses linux
I plainly refuse to believe this because engineers literally argue about everything including OS choice. It sounds like you have a percentage of engineers that are not very happy if this is true. I can believe they all have to interact with Linux, I do not however believe they all have to use it on their work machines.
>>
>>54327593
You already made this thread some days ago.
Ubuntu 16.04 supports this card ootb.
>>
>>54327881
Hipsterfag much? Yeah since 1995 everybody just forgot how to make games all of a sudden because I said so? Be careful son cause you'll cut yourself on all that edge.
>>
>>54329186
If you pick a random group of experience developers (10+ years at least), I'd say less than 5% of them would use windows for development.

Linux and OS X have better tools, are smoother to use, easier to get libraries setup, environments, OS updates, security, better driver support (at least with workstations. I haven't experienced any driver issues myself with my home equipment ever).
Bash (or whatever shell you prefer) is an amazing companion, and it's in no way comparable to what windows can do. Windows feel sooooo much snappier.
>>
>>54329142
My guess is that idiots still buy their gay men headsets
And I'm still using my Audigy 2 ZS, great card especially with the kx open source drivers
>>
File: me_and_memes_2.jpg (193 KB, 746x674) Image search: [Google]
me_and_memes_2.jpg
193 KB, 746x674
>>54329278
>OS X
>>
>>54329343
>awoo
>>
>>54329278
Sure, those are all good reasons one might argue for their development platform of choice. I use OS X for mine. I just refuse to believe 'Literally everyone at mah jerb uses loonix'.

If just one guy uses OS X or Windows it becomes a lie.
>>
>>54329142
audiophiles keep them alive now.
>>
>>54329125
Same with my job (RHEL5 for dev, custom company-internal stuff intended to replace it, etc.) but this and every thread on /g/ ever is about the Joe Q. User experience, because no one on this fucking board has a job.
>>
>>54329436
They really don't. Audiophiles don't buy their shit at all pretty much ever. External interfaces or DACs are where it's at.
>>
>>54329101
I'm not the guy who has a Creative card, I'm just pointing out that 'the community will make it so' is a naive, hollow ideology which will continue to keep desktop Linux in the dirt for decades to come.

When it all comes down to it, I really just want to punch Stallman in the dick as he claims to have started this bullshit (and honestly, he didn't).
>>
>>54329503
I agree with you. It is also very entitled. People think they are entitled to someone else's hard work when they have already been given so much for free on the assumption that it benefits the whole greater than it would to keep it to themselves.
>>
File: sbx7_front2_-100532479-orig.png (1 MB, 1160x800) Image search: [Google]
sbx7_front2_-100532479-orig.png
1 MB, 1160x800
>>54329461
>He doesn't know they have those too
>>
>>54329530
Fair enough, I actually don't think those are so bad, I can't imagine the sales of those things keep Creative at the heights they used to stand from.
>>
>>54329125
If you had a job you probably would be less willing to say 'every driver I've ever needed has worked directly for me, therefore I have no idea what the fuck you people are doing wrong', because you'd realize that 'you people' encompasses a broad array of shit that can go wrong.

There's academia and then there's practical engineering. I fucking despise academia as they aren't constrained by real-world scenarios, business/customer needs or timetables and therefore they can make broad statements without having to really back them up, they can put out shoddy code and never have to maintain it, and so on.
But I don't even think most /g/ shit is even at that level, so far I haven't heard anything in this thread that even attempts to address the specific problem (help me get my sound card working on my computer) or the broader problem (why does Linux still lack support for many common consumer peripherals and how can we fix this), it's mostly mudslinging and name-calling here.
>>
>>54329556

creative needs to get off their high horse and start making surface mount OEM chips to compete with realtek

they need to admit the industry they built themselves is long dead
>>
>>54329556
Even their E series stuff is pretty good.
>>
>>54329599
Linux does support common consumer peripherals. Discrete Sound cards haven't been common for a long time.

Your complaint is lack of support for niche hardware.
>>
>>54329599
Firstly, the why has been addressed in many ways.

1) Creative doesn't make a driver.
2) Nobody else made a driver
2.1) Because Creative didn't document the hardware or how to implement a driver.
2.2) Because reverse engineering is a lot of effort.
2.3) Nobody cares *enough* to put in the effort that Creative should have from the beginning, especially not under conditions where Creative makes it as hostile as possible to make that attempt.

As far as how to fix it, there is only one way.

You be the one to put in the effort, or use different sound hardware. Shit sucks but that's how it works.
>>
>>54329599
Nobody is interested in addressing the specific problem because the specific problem is that there are no drivers for his hardware on linux, and that's a problem that can't be solved here. The broader problem is that there are no drivers for his hardware on linux because nobody is motivated to write drivers for his hardware on linux. Creative has no motivation to do it because the number of people who want to use their products on linux is miniscule, and linux developers have no motivation because nobody is going to pay them to do it.

The only person with motivation to do it would be somebody who has the card and wants to use linux, but even if such a person were capable of writing the driver, the effort to do so wouldn't be worth it.

This is not a fixable problem. Unless some billionaire philanthropist funds a bunch of developers out of pocket to write linux drivers.
>>
>>54328658
>half the time
wrong
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers
>>
>Creative
>Linux support

You may only choose one.
>>
>>54329610
they do

gigabyte has been using their chips for quite a few generations now on select boards. atm gigabyte z170x-gaming 7, z170-g1, and z170x-gaming gt use creative's soundcore reacon3ds chips.

asus used creative for a few boards in the past but after they took off with their own sound card division and software they now use their own implementations based off of cmedia and realtek.
>>
>>54327593
>buying hardware before checking for Linux compatibility on WikiDevi..com

You deserve it, OP.
>>
>>54331501
more from gigabyte:

x99:
x99-gaming 5p
x99-gaming g1 wifi

z97:
g1.sniper z97

z87:
g1.sniper z87

z77:
g1.sniper m3
g1.sniper 3

z68:
g1.sniper 2

z58:
g1.killer
>>
>>54327626
biggest load of bullshit I have heard in my life. The internet is basically all linux servers. good portion of the phone market is linux. The entire scientific community runs linux, or if they dont, it is only because of compatibility with clients.

Im normally not one to say linux is better in every way. normally I just say that its different. But I have just gotten a brand new laptop for around $1300, and performance is absolute shit running windows 10. There are too many problems to count at this point as I am really busy right now. Tried running mint 17 on it and its beautiful. GPU recognized and utilized right off the bat, (windows 10 incorrectly identified the card, and could not use it at all, so was using only integrated graphics.) screen resolution with a 4k screen was working fine, everything was crisp and easily viewable. With windows, everything was shrunken down so much I had to rub my face into the screen to see anything. I changed resolution and DPI settings, trying out every possible combination over the course of 3 hours, and it either became worse or made no improvement.

So fucking pissed at microsoft right now. Normally I like windows, but 8 and 10 are total bullshit. Unfortunately, 7 is starting to get old.
>>
>>54331501
>>54331694
oh can't forget for z170 gigabytes x170-extreme ecc also houses a creative sound chip.

asrock, evga, and msi have done a few boards with creative chips too

evga:
z170:
z170 classified
x99:
x99 classified
z97:
z97 classified
z87:
z87 classified

asrock:
z97:
fatal1ty z97 professional
x79:
x79 extreme9
p67:
fatal1ty p67

msi:
z97:
z97-gaming 9
z97-gaming 7
z97-gaming 5
z97-gaming 3

z87:
z87-g45 gaming

a lot of board manufacturers have been adopting creative chips over realtek on higher end boards ($200+).
>>
You should have bought supported soundcard.
>>
>>54332190
>>54331536

>buy sound card in 2012 with zero plans on using linux
>didn't even know what linux was
>few friends over the years recommend linux
>/g shills linux desperately
>get told how great linux is and it has awesome hardware support by few friends and every linux user on /g, reddit, and forums
>valve starts releasing their games on linux and greats their own linux distribution
>try linux
>no sound
>get told i should of bought a linux compatible sound card when i didn't even know what linux was all those years ago
>>
>>54332411
>buy sound card in 2012 with zero plans on using linux
Too bad for you. Just get Linux-compatible hardware and don't complain, that works on my machine.
>>
>>54332411
you got cucked senpai
>>
>>54327593
Sell it and buy an Audigy2 ZS on eBay for $10. I bet you won't be able to tell the difference in audio quality, and Audigy2 ZS is perfectly supported in Linux.
>>
>>54332411
I bet you just forgot to turn the volume up. That's what gets 90% of the crybabies
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.