[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any cases where this would work better than standard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: genius.png (156 KB, 1080x1179) Image search: [Google]
genius.png
156 KB, 1080x1179
Are there any cases where this would work better than standard algorithms?
>>
>>54324677
While installing gentoo
>>
>>54324677
back in the day when /prog/ was still fun.
>>
/prog/ is still around?

i thought all textboards were removed.
>>
>>54324677
This is actually a task I use on interviews: explain how this sort works, and why it might fail. Marvelous little snippet right here.
>>
>>54324857
It's an old post.

/prog/ is dead :(

We should petition to bring it back as an image board
>>
>>54324880
Can you give me some more example questions?
>>
>>54324857
You had to have had vip to still access the text boards
>>
>>54324677
Sleep just uses the operating system's insertion sort under the hood. So you're never going to be faster than that.
>>
>>54324677
Not in an electronic computer, but maybe in a mechanical one?
>>
>>54324677
if you could build a hardware sleep timer than is extremely accurate.
>>
>>54324880
Could you explain how this works, please?
>>
>>54324972
Do you seriously not get it? Or are you just memeing?
>>
>>54324972
Looks like for each argument it waits that many seconds then prints the number.
So like 1 gets printed before 2 since it sleeps 1 second before printing instead of 2
>>
>>54324857
>>54324897
prog is still alive, it's on a different site though.
>>
>>54324908
Why? Do you interview candidates?
>>
>>54325078
No but I'll be giving one next month.
>>
>>54324908
ask them to reverse a tree
>>
File: coding god.jpg (63 KB, 643x482) Image search: [Google]
coding god.jpg
63 KB, 643x482
>>54325115
I get this reference
>>
This is the dumbest thing I have seen in a long time.
https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Sorting_algorithms/Sleep_sort
>>
>>54324972
The shell scripts responds to the first input after typing the name of the script itself in terminal, also using that input as a variable for the sleep function which acts as a delay timer in shellscript
>>
>>54325111
I mostly interview college grads. To do that, I focus on how interested they are in technology, and their ability to describe successes, failures, and processes like above. I assume that they were able to pass their classes hence the certificate, and that they have at least the faintest idea of algorithm cost, database, and OS principles. I ask them to describe threading, joins, the difference between an interface and a class, what a vtable is, and any group project interactions they had, positive or negative. I also ask them to give an opinion on some technology they've touched, and to name a preference. I usually fail those grads that can't name a preference one way or another, since it means they haven't done enough in any particular stack to feel proud of it or dislike it's drawbacks.

After that, it's just talking about the upcoming position they will likely start in.

There's little need to get deeply technical with grads since they know barely anything besides syntax anyway. I can teach syntax in a week and test on it in 20 seconds, so it's not important.

For higher level positions, you need to drill them in the technology they're applying for, and do a syntax test to verify they aren't full of shit.
>>
>>54325299
cs drop-out here. what is the difference between an interface and a class? In my class an interface was just a list of functions, could it also describe other attributes of a class such as inheritance and whatnot.

I still like tech, I just didn't see myself working in that field.
>>
>>54325369
It's a list of functions an implementing class must conform to, often used as a contract between data producers and data consumers. It's also an easy way to make your classes testable by making it easy to stub out dependencies.
>>
>>54325052
???
>>
>>54324909
>You had to have had vip to still access the text boards

Nice try.

You had to have had vip to have accessed the text boards.
>>
>>54325455
Did you not review your vip or something? The ipv6 ones still free access
>>
>>54325455
The amount of 'have' in this sentence bothers me. It looks wrong.
>>
>>54325429
progrider
>>
>>54325568
Should have payed attention. If you had of you should have understood the sentence
>>
what is the big o running time of this?
>>
>>54325789
n, but big O notation is pretty retarded because in this case O takes a looong time
>>
>>54325789
depends on the sleep function's implementation

its O(n*) where n* is the computational complexity of the sleep function
>>
>>54325789

its kinda like bucket sort or index sort. you get bounds on the values instead. other "real" sorting algorithms can sort any sequence of numbers.
>>
>>54325626
man, that webpage design has all the old style, i just checked it and loved it
>>
>>54326022
Did you really never see this before?
>>
>>54324958

hmm I might actually implement this in assembly on a microcontroller
>>
>>54329686
Do you want me to start with the logo?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.