[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well, it happund /g/. My HDD died, and now I'm attempting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: HDDie.png (12 KB, 525x332) Image search: [Google]
HDDie.png
12 KB, 525x332
Well, it happund /g/. My HDD died, and now I'm attempting to salvage whatever is left to get. 600GB's of vidya, stranded on poorly managed platters. It'll take too long to re-download it. So I'm copying it all off with the crippled read speeds. Going off these last 4 percent. I've calculated it will take 8.75 days to transfer it all off. I'm hoping some of the files aren't corrupt.

Why can't I just be dead. Data recovery, Drive crash horror stories, and SSD advocacy thread. GO!
>>
You're one stupid motherfucker for trying to move all at once.
>>
>>54321860
I know. But I don't want 6 hours of work to go to waste.
>>
its going to fail anyway and you will have to start all over again.
>>
>>54321916
I'll let you know in 8 days.
>>
>>54321860
Swapped to TeraCopy. Forgot about this program.
>>
>>54321848
>Poorfags and retards who don't make backups thread. GO!

Fixed for you.
>>
File: rc_128.png (8 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
rc_128.png
8 KB, 128x128
>>54321848
Try Recuva.
https://www.piriform.com/recuva
>>
>/v/ can't into backup
Maybe you should take this opportunity to grow up
>>
>>54321848
>It'll take too long to re-download it
How shit is your internet?

I can download that in less than 10 hours.
>>
>>54322168
Its not data loss. The HDD has crashed. Its there on the platter, and readable. Albeit very very slow.
>>
>>54322196
Ausfalia
>>
>using file-level copying
Jesus Christ.
>>
Anyone have any recommendations for good backup software?
>>
>>54321848
You do realize that once it reaches corrupted data it will stop the copying process and you need to start over right? You poor fool.
>>
>>54322250
Acronis/Clonezilla

If you have a WD HD Acronis is free.
>>
Next to consider setting up a raid.
>>
>>54322267
I have an old 80GB IDE WD Black. Does it count?
>>
>>54322258
I keep saying this, but it wasn't a disk head crash. Something else has gone wrong, and its just abysmally slow.
>>
>>54321848
>not ddrescue and then mounting the rescued image
>>
>>54322249
Could you explain the alternative to >file-level copying. I'd like a faster alternative if there is one.

The HDD seems to grab a file, copying it builds up speed, then when it finishes that file, the speed crashes and it'll go down to 0-bytes/s for a brief time before revving up again. Is there a linux utility via liveboot that would help me? or even just a windows program?
>>
>>54322383
Awesome. Once the replacement arrives, I'll do this. Thanks!

Praise RMS.
>>
>>54322385
Clone the entire partition
>>
>>54322434
Can you do that in Windows DiskManagement?
>>
>>54322385
you should do a partition clone. the last thing you should do is boot up the drive.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.