[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has WD replaced Seagate as the meme HDD manufacturer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
Has WD replaced Seagate as the meme HDD manufacturer?
>>
It's 2016

HDDs *are* the meme
>>
>using anything but HGST for your mechanical storage
>>
WD owns HGST
>>
>>54320805
However, HGST operates as a completely separate company.

There's nothing in common with WD or HGST
>>
>>54320694
I don't understand why SG and WD dominate the market. Fuck the consumer base, honestly.
>>
Where's Fujitsu? Samsung?
>>
>>54320822
Fujitsu
>barely has a market share
Samsung
>was consumed by Seagate, are now making external drives only
>>
>>54320853
Fujitsu has a lot of OEM drives, a lot of lowend to midrange laptops have Fujitsu drives inside.
I don't think they sell retail units though.
>>
>>54320818
>why SG and WD dominate the market
I took a look at the shop from where I usually buy stuff from, they have 14 different segates and 26 different WDs in their stock, while only 4 toshibas and one Hitachi. Basically, there is barely any selection besides them.

Toshibas are cheaper btw.
>>
File: samshit.png (174 KB, 1302x1304) Image search: [Google]
samshit.png
174 KB, 1302x1304
I have a Samsung aka Seagate meme drive for 5 years or so now, no problem, don't really understand the meme
>>
>>54320898
Becase it is a Samsung drive, not Seagate.
>>
All I know is ultrastars are the best spinning rust you can get
>>
>>54320818
Marketing probably. WD and Toshiba make consumer external HDDs so most people probably know about them.
I went with WD for my PC because I'd already heard of them and they seemed to make good quality drives (even though my first WD blue failed).
Most people won't buy lesser known brands like HGST because they've probably never heard of them before and therefore won't feel confident buying from them because they have no idea if they're a reliable company or not.
>>
>>54320694
I still would never touch a seagate drive, they fooled me too many times. My Toshiba drives are the ones that seem to last the longest, all of them are still running after 5 years, but one of them is beginning to make noise, which is nice that it is warning me to back it up, unlike Seagate's "fuck you, I quit" policy
>>
File: speccy_desktop.jpg (141 KB, 936x660) Image search: [Google]
speccy_desktop.jpg
141 KB, 936x660
>>54320898
That was before the Seagate buyout.

Who else /HGST/ here?
>>
>>54320898
Samsung was consumed after you bought your drive you dummy.
>>
>>54322411
I'm /HGST/, but only in my NAS (5x4TB RAID5).
SSD in workstations/laptops are basically enough if you have networked media storage, unless you need an HDD for large program sets like Steam folders.
>>
I thought HGST was Hitatchi...?
>>
>>54322470
>Hitachi Global Storage Technologies
>>
>>54320709
>CURRENT YEAR
>>
>>54320818
Hardly any consumer chooses their hard drive brand.

Laptops and pre-builds don't even state which HDD brand they use, and often use multiple brands in the same product.
>>
I bought to 3T Toshiba drives under the Verbatim brand, built in WD factories..
and 2 failed as soon as I got them 2/3 full..
I still have one in my system waiting to break down.
Verbatim used to mean something, what happened.
>>
>>54320818
Because price and because "name brand". Only people who really care have even heard of Hitachi before.
>>
File: 2016-05-01_17-17-26.png (823 KB, 1002x782) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-01_17-17-26.png
823 KB, 1002x782
WDs just werks, even firmware bug greens.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.