[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Macbook for Programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: MacBook-Air-duenn.jpg (49 KB, 999x470) Image search: [Google]
MacBook-Air-duenn.jpg
49 KB, 999x470
Okay /g/,
just tell me one reason beside homosexuality not to use a Macbook Air for Programming.
> Muh build quality/Aluminium unibody
> Muh battery
> muh keyboard
> muh thinnes
> muh weight
There are literally no reasons not to use one
>>
its not a thinkpad
>>
>>54320527
It $CURRENTYEAR ! literally no one uses that big old things anymore
>>
>>54320545
Thinkpads in $CURRENTYEAR are not big and old anymore
>>
>>54320505
So far, I've experienced no issues. imo, its ecosystem makes it incredibly smooth to develop in
>>
>>54320570
Thinkpads in $CURRENTYEAR don't have that 13" inch and a 16:10 screen
>>
>>54320505
Everything soldered and glued
Tiny babby cancer Resolution
Super low Hardware for the price
Shitty Keyboard with shitty Hub

T460s is better in everything. Or atleast get a XPS 13.
>>
>>54320612
> Everything soldered and glued
Just buy a new one after it's broken.
> Tiny babby cancer Resolution
Don't really see a problem in there after im not doing graphical design
> Super low Hardware for the price
Poorfag
> Shitty Keyboard with shitty Hub
It isn't really shitty

T460s is better in everything.
> plastic build
> 16:9
> 14 inch
> Shitty Keyboard with shitty Hub
Yes it's better
>>
>>54320650
Keyboard is better than macbook's
Plastic is better than aluminum meme
Thinkpads are infinitely more durable so aluminum argument gets rekt.
>>
>>54320505
You'd be retarded to get a Macbook right now before they update the models. There are better options available until then.
>>
>>54320505
>uses outdated version of clang
>shitty linker that support standard switches and gets fucked up by Mach-O universal binary bloat
>assembler that doesn't support any instruction set extensions
I can't see any reason why someone wouldn't use OSX for programming :^)
>>
>>54320650
>> Super low Hardware for the price
>Poorfag

>he thinks that paying more for worse makes him rich
Tip: It makes you seem like someone who has never had a job and has lived on welfare for his whole life to anyone who has a job
>>
Old toolset, cooling and throttle issues, however it's your only way into iOS programming.
Made me reply/8 b8 m8
t. ABAP Developer
>>
No toolless dissasembly, no hot swap battery
>>
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>54320505

>programming anything on a i5/7U

I think not
>>
Buy one if you can afford it.
And by "you", I mean your parents, your husband, or whoever is actually paying for your shit.
If you want to get a laptop just for programming, it literally doesn't matter what you get. It's just a question of which operating system is best (hint: it's Linux).
Macbooks surely have their use-cases, but it's not a laptop you buy for programming.
>>
>>54320603
true, they have even better ones, not to mention its really cheap to fix something yourslef ;^)
>>
>>54321112
What are you implying
>>
>>54320505
Play School for homosexuals-tier windowing system
>>
>>54320505
>Programming.
>aluminum unibody
>thin
>lightweight
Do these help you program?
>>
>>54321113
It does matter tho, a OSX is crucial for iOS dev.
>>54320505
What kind of programming tho? I have a 2015 13" rMBP and Xcode can still be a pain in the arse, I'd imagine an Air would be even worse. Get an rMBP if you wanna do any serious work on it, I don't think they're much more expensive?
>>
>>54320505
The only reason would be the inflated price, but if you are a first worlder it should be no problem
>>
>>54321148

That the macbook air is only for the faggiest of projects and anyone who works solely on these should feel terrible about themselves
>>
>>54320505
>There are literally no reasons not to use one
I already have a computer so there is no point getting a Macbook Air just to program.

> Muh build quality/Aluminium unibody
Completely irrelevant to programming.
> Muh battery
> muh keyboard
Shitty.
> muh thinnes
> muh weight
>>
I'll get an Asus UX305 for programming next semester. If the surface pro 5 is released before september i'll get one, but I don't think they will
It's a shame Windows 10 detachables are shit for the moment, I'd love getting a tablet (that wouldn't need constant sync like a stand alone one)
>>
C#
If you're talking about running Windows. It's not a MacBook Pro.
>>
>>54320545
I am no one.
Valar Morghulis.
>>
>>54321156
This
>>
>>54320505
Honestly you can use whatever you like. But if you must use a mac, I personally suggest a rMBP.
>>
>>54320612
>T460s is better in everything
The T460s display has PWM flicker
Unacceptable.
>>
I cant do any real work on my laptop, period. Only real way is to hook up an external mouse, keyboard and monitor, at which point its just a shitty PC.

Until im forced to work on a laptop, i always always use my workstation for programming.
>>
>>54320505
OS X is declining in stability and gains in feature bloat with each release. It could be one of the worst times to jump into the Apple ecosystem. They aren't bad hardware even still, but I am now convinced Tim Cook is going to lead the company to ruin. He is the wrong fit for Apple's culture. Apple's culture needs a dictator that is heavily user focused but also can see into the future. Tim Cook cannot become Steve Jobs, and he also seemingly cannot change Apple's internal culture to not need one, therefor he should probably leave.
>>
File: 1462075011650.png (2 MB, 1302x1182) Image search: [Google]
1462075011650.png
2 MB, 1302x1182
>Mac sucks
>muh ChinkPad

Never change, /g/
>>
>>54321156

But how else will I look cool in Starbucks or Powell's Books?

>>54320527

Using lenovo botnet in #{current_year}
>>
>>54320505
Because you can get a chink 2-in-1 hybrid x86 (cherry trail) tablet/netbook for less than USD$300.

Windows 10 and/or Android 5 preinstalled or install your own distro.
>>
Desktop masterrace
anything else is shit
I don't give a shit about your needs
>>
>>54320650
>Don't really see a problem in there after im not doing graphical design
If you're doing programming, you want all the screen space you can get. Higher resolution = more lines of code on the screen = less time wasted scrolling around.
>>
>>54320527
thinkpad's trackpad and battery life is absolute shit tier though compared to macbook
>>
I own a Macbook Air.

It's an excellent computer, except the screen is shit. If the screen was IPS and higher resolution, it would be ideal.
>>
>>54320505

Here's what you do, OP. Here's what *I* would do.

Get a 13" rMBP, as high-specced as you can. Then, get an iPad Pro, size of your choosing. Then, use Duet Display to connect the iPad to your Macbook as a second display.

BAM, motherfucker. A portable, dual-monitor powerhouse, roughly five pounds and one inch thick. Should net you 5-6 hours of battery life in that configuration, too, more if you're only running one screen. Now THAT is how you program with Apple portables.
>>
>>54321120
>replacing computer parts
it's not the 90's anymore grandpa.
>>
>>54325144
Thinkpads are literally the only laptops with better battery life than macbooks though
>>
File: 1451430835324.png (40 KB, 443x182) Image search: [Google]
1451430835324.png
40 KB, 443x182
>>54325272
ok sure
>>
>>54320505
Go for it OP, they're great machines.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.