[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you good at math?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: 1461994988584.png (351 KB, 639x480) Image search: [Google]
1461994988584.png
351 KB, 639x480
Are you good at math?
>>
I know that
n=np
so, yes
>>
I have good grades, but I can't say that I'm naturally good at it.
>>
Gretest test me
>>
File: 1418458442819.jpg (53 KB, 510x532) Image search: [Google]
1418458442819.jpg
53 KB, 510x532
>get placed in advanced math course as kid

>advanced math takes place out in the hallway with two other weird kids
>>
Taking my final in multivariable soon. I'm fucked. Does anyone know how combinatorics is?
>>
No, I'm horrible at math. I bombed Calc III and obviously don't belong here.
>>
>>54315203
So that's how you noticed you were a weird son a bitch, huh?
>>
File: 1390895126476.png (141 KB, 446x435) Image search: [Google]
1390895126476.png
141 KB, 446x435
>>54315241

Y-yeah
>>
>>54314847
>Are you good at math?
No. It doesn't stop me from being an excellent programmer though.
>>
Good relative to what? The common pleb, yes, but compared to some 18 year old who went to a private school, no.
>>
>>54315226
combinatorics is easy peasy
linear algebra, group theory, topology. All easy subjects
Prob might give you some trouble though, because it's not ... as exacting as the rest of the subjects
>>
More or less senpai. Need to review Differential equations and learn numerical methods for FEA and CFD analysis.
>>
>>54314847
I'm not "good" at it, but I appreciate it and can see the beauty in it, sometimes.
>>
>>54315120
calculate the sine of 4 degrees using a taylor series.
>>
>>54314847
No, but the risk I took was calculated.
>>
File: W 48.jpg (49 KB, 500x325) Image search: [Google]
W 48.jpg
49 KB, 500x325
>>54315482
>I'm not "good" at it, but I appreciate it and can see the beauty in it, sometimes.

Unless professor from eastern Europe is going REEEEE on everybody
>>
mathematical analytical and abstract thinking comes naturally for me and I can understand a mathematical reasoning p well and even make some.
I feel comfortable about the more abstract branches of mathematics but at this point I've forgotten most of what I learned about calculus. I hardly remember how to integrate.
>>
>>54315501
>>>/reddit/
>>
No.
>>
>>54315284
it doesn't even stop you from being a good computer scientist. I'm not really good with arithmatic but I can write an algorithm in C and get the right answer; I can do most maths when a calculator and paper so the "muh doing it in your head" meme gets btfo.

Really there isn't a reason to need to be able to do crazy math on a chalkboard in `$CURRENT_YEAR`, Will Hunting style.
>>
>>54315492
not the same guy but
that hardly involves mathematical reasoning. Rather it is a review of an otherwise well known technique.
If I was to test a conjecture on vector calculus I might want to use taylor series at some point and I could just as well look it up for a remainder. But unless you work in something where you use these things (such as numerical analysis, perhaps for working with statistical methods for an economy something) you'd know this by heart. But if you are in the marble tower of academia, chances are you've long forgotten this
>>
>>54315203
can confirm, took this math class too (it was a slightly better than most students, if you pass it you get into Pre-Algebra in 6th grade instead of taking 5th grade math again (5th and 6th grade were basically the same I was told, I passed so was a year ahead)
>>
>>54315576
s/remainder/reminder/
pardon my engrish
>>
File: 1459258241964.jpg (31 KB, 599x315) Image search: [Google]
1459258241964.jpg
31 KB, 599x315
Nope

I struggled with it immensely growing up as a teenager, and after having a couple of teachers who made me feel inferior for not learning fast enough, and my father constantly hounding me for not learning fast, I eventually closed off and gave up

>tfw actually had a panic attack because people standing over me being hostile like why can't you just learn it bro?

Then he's like "well looks like you're just going to be a loser all your life"

th-thanks dad. He was right tho, lol
>>
>>54314862
why do passwords still work then?
>>
>>54314847
http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=math
>>
No

>tfw cant program
>tfw couldn't even do precalc, hs teacher passed me out of pity
>tfw watching everyone else succeed at this shit and go to big universities while i'm stuck attending a community college
>>
fucking hated it

had to learn vector math in last year of uni because I did stats instead of calc. Big O did my head in.

>>54315203
being smart is nothing to be ashamed of
>>
Unfortunately no.
>>
File: stallman.jpg (28 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
28 KB, 220x330
>>54315605
>rekt
10/10 would read again
>>
>>54315605
>math is just following instructions
Nope. It's like that up until you get past basic algebra, and then you get into the realm of all sorts of abstract shit.
>>
>>54315586
I don't think you're a loser, Anon.
>>
>>54315586
i think you're cute anon <3
>>
>>54315611
>tfw couldn't even do precalc, hs teacher passed me out of pity
Literally fucking me. I then took calculus in college and fucking raped it.

>second semester of precalc, right before class recommendations
>ask the bitch if calculus is anything like precalc
>bullshits me and says that it's exactly like second semester, it's all about polar coordinates and shit
>freak the fuck out, decide not to take calculus, it's fine cause I already finished stats
>felt like an idiot for not taking calculus because everyone else took it
>take it in college, holy shit it's easy as fuck
>now i'm mad at myself for not doing it sooner

Don't worry about it anon, calculus is easy peasy. Just memorize the derivative/integral rules and you're good to go. That's literally, LITERALLY, all there is to it. Beyond that, it's just basic algebra.
>>
>>54315669
>Calculus
>all sorts of abstract shit

hahahahahaha, fucking high schoolers in my /g/
>>
>>54314847
I'm not bad
>>
>>54315229
If you made it to calc III then you're probably better at it than most of /g/
>>
>>54315669
>all sorts of abstract shit
>acceleration, velocity, and position of an object are abstract
>surface curves and area of complex surfaces are abstract
Nigga what
Calculus is one of the most useful things in mathematics
>>
>>54315284
As a math major, I don't know why people say "mathematicians are highly valued in computer science." Like, I can program a bit, but if I got asked to reverse the order of a linked list or something at an interview it'd be, "Uhhhhhh....."
Like, no amount of Laplace transforms, double integrals, etc will make one good at programming.
>>
>>54314847
I've taken plenty of advanced math courses as a first year PhD student (not math) but it's hard to think I'm really good at it. Probably I'm what normal people consider good, but I don't think I'm any better than anyone else could be if they had the patience for it. I think if you believe you're actually really good at math you'd have to be one of a few hundred geniuses to be really right about it. People like Gauss, Ramanujan, and Euler might as well have been aliens.
>>
>>54314847
In neutral state, the two things that i can't solve correct when they have proving and word problems
>>
>>54315927
what happens if you had to retake all 3 calcs? did finish matrix theory and discrete math though
>>
>>54314847
fuck no
>>
>>54314847
Im a 22 yr old highschool dropout NEET
I failed highschool because of maths

This is an Asian country, not murrika so high-school level math is more akin to Americans college level
>>
I think so, and away from school looking through some older math books I feel validated in that belief. But catch me at school and youd think I was retarded. At school though there is the combination of poor accountability in terms of the actual math and not just the teaching methods ( everything is a noun like a physical thing, even the process ) and the use of modern philosophy as it "remains" accountable to the NCLB act, common core and itself.

I can see how it spplies around the technical subjects but I have a hard time keeping to notation when my teacher wont read the problems in the manner notation implies and axiom dictates. So I keep to general notation like on wiki and other random books, including the one she uses if the need arises.

But getbsomeone who understands mathnwell to carry on about msth snd i will either learn very well or keep up with thw topic using mostly english, and not in some glib way.
>>
>>54315611
Get your shit together man. I'm at a 4 year now after attending community college. It can be done.
>>
>>54318109
Calculate how much time it'll take you to make my American iPhone, nip.
>>
>>54314847
If I bother putting in the effort, yes. I can pull higher grades in the higher percentile of my classes with a fraction of the effort.

This assumes I have an idea of what's going on, and the material has a decent teacher. Even then induction is fucking magic guys
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.