[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Linux Distro for a Beginner I am done with the Windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 1432232404629.png (44 KB, 661x716) Image search: [Google]
1432232404629.png
44 KB, 661x716
Best Linux Distro for a Beginner

I am done with the Windows enviroment, it is total shit.

I am thinking OpenSUSE or Manjaro.
>>
That would be Ubuntu

>not a timesink
>Installs itself in 10 minutes with no experience because doing things manually is for losers after 2005
>Everything's set up automatically as you have a modern CPU and can't pretend to be faster than something that can do a billion flops or so
>graphical software for people who don't want to spend hours reading manuals to do the same work as clicking a button labeled "open"
>Comes with all of the nonfree software that you actually need like flash and mp3 libs instead of just axing it all out insisting that you're better than all that and shouldn't use 99% of software out there for some psuedo cs hipster dropout 80s reason
>Amazon and unity hate are memes
>Choose any DE you want later or if you can't figure it out there are forks for every major one like xubuntu, kubuntu, etc
>Has an actual community that isn't just an autism front for hating on new members by telling them to fuck off in so many words
>Support from major OEMs like Dell and HP now for the above reasons

Unless you don't want to do that and fit in with other dropouts in desktop circlejerks in which case I'd love to tell you right now that they will hate you even if you're one of them anyway.
>>
>>54314166
Don't listen to this idiot, OP. Install Fedora, it's the best if you aren't retarded.
>>
>>54314189
Don't listen to this guy, he forgot that you want a beginner distro. Fedora prides itself on having bullshit, untested packages. Go with CentOS. It's like Fedora, but stable.
>>
>>54314216
>Fedora isn't for beginners
Hello, retard.
>>
>>54314242
>Recommending an unstable distro for a first distro

Congrats, you're trolling. Using Fedora wouldn't even be a useful skill that you could put on a resume.

If you use CentOS, you should know that it's pretty much the free version of Redhat - a linux distro used in large businesses all over the world. That's why it's both stable, and good to know. It's a useful life skill to understand and have working experience with CentOS. Fixing and debugging how Fedora's fucked up your computer yet again? Not so much.
>>
Debian. The installer is simple and once you're done installing you will have a functional desktop.
>>
Ubuntu, Debian, Manjaro, and Centos are all reasonably stable and differences in package managers are placebo until you become more knowledgeable/autistic. Hell, having "bleeding edge" packages is placebo too.
>>
just boot into newest kernel release with no additional software
>>
Arch
Nah, I'm full of shit and do not recommend this.

I really wish I would have started with an easier distro, but it was so satisfying once I got everything working after two days of not understanding what the fuck I was doing.
>>
>install arch
>>
>>54314166
Personally I started with Ubuntu and once I felt comfortable I did a CLI of debian and added packages from the ground up. Ubuntu is based on debian so it's easy to move from one to the other, where other distros sometimes handle things differently and might have to learn different commands/techniques.
>>
>recommending centOS as a beginner desktop distro
for what reason
>>
File: tumbleweed1.png (19 KB, 640x384) Image search: [Google]
tumbleweed1.png
19 KB, 640x384
you can't go wrong with this one
>>
>>54314216
Yea I agree with this.
>>
>>54314094
OpenSUSE is great, Manjaro is a joke.
>>
>>54314835
More?
>>54314689
>>54314678
No
>>
>>54315709
Yea OpenSUSE is awesome, especially that they let you choose everything.

>Manjaro is a joke
Why?
>>
Xubuntu, no question.
>>
>>54315757
I have used Linux before, and I did not like this much. It was alright desu
>>
>>54315727
Well for one thing, they delay even critical security updates due to their autistic 10 day wait period before they put stuff from Arch repos into their own. It's not very stable even with the wait period. Devs don't know half the shit they're doing.
They have the nicest XFCE integration I've seen though, but that's pretty much the only good thing I can say about Manjaro.
>>
>>54315813
Thanks bro. So do you think that OpenSUSE is the right choice?

All I really need is Skype, Steam, and Microsoft Office, which I could use through Wine.
>>
>>54315853
I'm using OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE for the past 6 months and I'm pretty impressed with it. It doesn't have a big wiki/documentation so you might be better of with something like Ubuntu if you don't want to bother with a little extra searching if any problems come up.
Everything you need should run on it.
>>
>>54314094
ubuntu.

manjaro is a noob version of arch but it's still too advanced for beginners, with a rolling release you can fuck up your system if you are not careful.
>>
>>54315981
I like Ubuntu but I hate the Amazon crap, I guess ill test out both of them.
>>54316030
Thanks, ill see what I do. Is the newest version of Ubuntu out yet?
>>
>>54315853
>steam

If you play videogames just use windows..

or ubuntu if you REALLY want
>>
>>54316245
I dont play games, only one that I want is Civ5.
And that is once in a blue moon.
>>
Ubuntu is great. Best installer, easy to load proprietary codecs + drivers, and Unity is the best.
>>
>>54316244
Yes, 16.04 was released just a couple of weeks ago. And the Amazon crap has now been removed completely I think.
>>
>>54316345
>>54316366
Good, I am probably gonna go with that then.
>>
Nope. Dont choose Ubuntu. Try Debian Stable. Ubuntu is based on the Debian Testing. While there are some benefits to being on the bleeding edge, a complete beginner will benefit much more from stability. I have yet to run into a single problem with Debian, and everything works smoothly. On Ubuntu, it also works fine but sometimes it just doesn't work, I have to look it up and usually end up having to enter some stupid command which I wont remeber.
>>
>>54314094
Ubuntu
It's definitely for beginners
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.