[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
APRS IGate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: sdr.png (165 KB, 1129x598) Image search: [Google]
sdr.png
165 KB, 1129x598
Hey there folks, I'm trying to set up and APRS IGate on an Ubuntu machine.

I'm currently using this antenna: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1497?gclid=CJnEo-irt8wCFQeraQodmk4OXA
with this dongle: http://store.linksprite.com/rtl-sdr-fm-dab-usb-dvb-t-dongle-hd-dvb-t-rtl2832u-r820t/?gclid=CI3sofurt8wCFQqoaQodZ6gJSA

Anyone had any experience with this before?
>>
So happy to see a thread other about interesting technology other than consumer electronics.

What you want to do is run a program called Xastir. It will act as an igate. Then pipe the rtl-sdr output into Xastir.

http://ae6rs.com/xastir-with-rtl-sdr.html
>>
File: 1500_xvtr-7.png (207 KB, 1026x640) Image search: [Google]
1500_xvtr-7.png
207 KB, 1026x640
I love software defined radio
>>
File: xastir.png (721 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
xastir.png
721 KB, 1366x768
>>
>>54312883
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I had previously tried using a raspberry pi and installing rtl_fm and feeding it into direwolf, but I was having issues with getting one or the other to work.
>>
>>54312937
>>54312959
I'm also relatively new to amateur radio in general, got any ideas of what kinds of stuff I should with it after I get this working?
>>
>>54312679
nice, can it collect "raw" IQ samples?
>>
You're not going to be getting much with that antenna. If you want a semi cheap antenna with decent gain that you can make pretty easily, look into the arrow antennas dual band J-Pole. Since its dual band, you could theoretically connect a SDR listening on 2 meters and another on 70cm to the same antenna, so you could pick up transmissions on either band. Keep in mind, this would all be receive only.
>>
>>54314854
I'm unsure

>>54314909
Interesting, I'll have to look into it, since all I'm doing is receiving. The intention at this point is to use the information to track a weather balloon, and then display that information

>>54312959
In regards to the instructions that you showed me I'm running into some issues that I'm not exactly sure how to solve. At about step 7 it says for you to try decoding some APRS, but it doesn't return any APRS info, and yields this:

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Found Rafael Micro rr820T tuner
Tuner Gain set to automatic
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Tuned to 253719 Hz.
Oversampling input by: 46x.
Oversampling output by: 1x.
Buffer size: 8.08ms
Exact sample rate is: 1014300.20041 Hz
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Sampling at 1014300
Output at 22050 Hz.

When I tried to use Kalibrate, it didn't provide back a channel after 'kal: Scanning for GSM-900 base stations.', so I was unable to calibrate it.

Xastir and rtl_fm are both running fine, but without the APRS I can't feed anything into Xastir

Any thoughts/solutions? I looked into [R82XX] as a possible error, but the results online say its either nothing to worry about, or provide no clear solutions.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.