[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sub /g/, My HDD just died so i'm buying New SSD, what is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: slant.jpg (65 KB, 620x336) Image search: [Google]
slant.jpg
65 KB, 620x336
Sub /g/, My HDD just died so i'm buying New SSD, what is /g/ approved 240GB SSD ?
>>
850 evo/pro
>>
>>54308947
Get more space than that.
>>
File: 2016-04-28 22.26.46.jpg (200 KB, 1053x596) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-28 22.26.46.jpg
200 KB, 1053x596
>>
>>54308947
850 pro

(or evo if you're a poorfag)
>>
>>54308947
Intel has a new 520 model that is very reasonable
>>
>>54309077
>>
>>54308947
I have the evo and it's worked out great. Have some solid states for regular stuff.

Unless you have lot's of stuff you want running on solid state then the evo will work great - now that the pro came out it's a tad bit cheaper too
>>
>>54309389
i meant i have HDDs running for generic junk like pics and movies
>>
>>54308947
intel pro 1500
don't fall for the samsung meme. You'll get cucked.
>>
>>54308947
>>54309049
I just got the Samsung Evo M2. I was planning on doing a fresh install of Windows 7 but with all the issues with windows update now I don't know.

Should I use a cloning software to transfer my OS from HD to SSD? If so what is a good one?
>>
>>54311182
> what is a good one
dd, gparted.
Acronis True Image have a LiveCD.
>>
The EVO 850 series is pretty much universally seen as the best option for normal day-to-day applications.

Get more space though. Get the PRO too if possible, not much difference but, only if you can.
>>
>>54308947
That one chink one seems good
>>
>>54308947
>hurr durr ssd's are superior to hdd's, they last a DECADE!!!

And yet every week we see this stupid threads

Take your stupid questions to /sqt/ you cunt

sage
>>
>>54308947
850 Pro
Maybe the Intel PCIe SSD 400 GB but more expensive and NVMe
>>
File: 5347345734.jpg (26 KB, 191x294) Image search: [Google]
5347345734.jpg
26 KB, 191x294
>>54308947
>wanting to avoid your drive dying
>getting an SSD
>>
>>54311182
Doesn't the drive come with one?

I know the 850 does, it's what I used

You gotta be careful just dding it because there's a thing about alignment that you gotta worry about, I never read into it because I just used Samsung's own cloning thing
>>
>>54308947
850 EVO.

Get a 1TB WD Blue while you are on it.
>>
>>54311871
>wanting to avoid your drive dying
He never said that.

Besides, nothing lasts forever.
Even your SSD will die 10 years after you do.
>>
How come self encrypting SSD's aren't a bigger thing?

I absolutely love the fact that my laptop SSD is "OPAL2"
>>
Any cheap 480GB drives, I'm looking to breathe some new life in my old laptop by replacing the current HDD with a SSD.
At the desired price point, a lot of drives have pretty much the same specs, quite similar reviews. Any advice?

>Mushkin Reactor LT (512 GB MLC instead of 480 GB)
>Mushkin Triactor (slighly cheaper than the reactor)
>Crucial BX200 (reviews say it's quite disappointing)
>Kingston V300 (I don't really trust them after their review bait and switching)
>Sandisk SSD plus (Don't really have any knowledge of the quality)
>Corsair Force LE (no idea about Corsair SSD quality)
>OCZ Trion 150 (OCZ apperantly improved after Toshiba took control)
>Toshiba Q300 (twin of the Trion 150 spec-wise)
>Adata SP550 (Already used an Adata SSD to upgrade my parents' old machine and I'm quite pleased with it)
>>
Samsung Evo is top of the line, I got the 500gb, shoulda got the TB :/
>>
>>54309077
>>54309100
What's wrong with Intel's write performance? Many of their drives suck ass at it, write throughput and random write, or whatever that was.
>>
>>54308947
I wouldn't trust Samsung after the shit they pulled with the 840s.
Crucial is great and I read good things about SanDisk. Intel would be an option if their drives had better write speeds (or you don't care much about those.
>>
Isn't every current SATA SSD pretty much the same, and bottle-necked by the interface?
>>
>>54311871
for someone being so quick to look for a reaction image you seem to have poor reading comprehension
>>
>>54313568
>I wouldn't trust Samsung after the shit they pulled with the 840s.
What shit was that?
>>
>>54308947
http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead/2

IMO, get the cheapest SSD you can. WHY? Because the technology is STILL developing. Get it from a retailer with a good return policy. By the time it dies, the replacement drives will be double the size or half the price, or both.

Investing any serious amount of money in storage at this point is throwing money away.
>>
>>54313889
The Evos had a nasty read flaw; old data at something like fourish months would literally be read slower than spinnan rust. There was a fix, but for all we know it just quietly shuffles old data in the background. I'm still happy even if that were the case. For me and my use case, all it means is it'll last 10 years instead of 20.
>>
I just got a Adata 240 for 52 dolla. not best but good enough benchmarks and a 3 year warranty.

notice I said 3 yera warranty.

or get an OCZ Vector evo etc whatever the fuck. they are all good enough
>>
File: what the fuck intel.png (71 KB, 688x560) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck intel.png
71 KB, 688x560
>>54309077
>>54309100
530/535 series has a serious write amplification problem, so it wouldn't surprise me if the 540 series is also affected. intel acknowledged the problem and decided not to do a damn thing about it.

if anyone has one of these drives, you should probably check your drive health
>>
anandtech and tom's hardware have good benchmarks and reviews. get an mlc flash based drive if you want reliability and are a power user. cheap ssd drives use tlc and caching to increase performance. 480-500gb drives are a better value, but it depends on your price range.
>>
>>54314241
You can't throw money away, the 850 Pro is only 30 € more. TEN YEARS of warranty. You won't ever use this SSD so long or intense.

I would not waste money on storage you don't need, especially games. Most of them don't load faster with SSDs. Also don't put your personal files on it.

>>54313677
Only MLC and TLC, and yes all are bottlenecked. But the TLC loose speed after some use, the MLC won't. A better investment would be a Intel PCIe SSD, but they require lanes.
>>
Samsung is the only one with 3d cell tech until Intel xpoint is ready. Cheapest? 850 Evo, still quality. A little more expensive and performance is 850 Pro., if you're stuck to SATA standard. Have NVMe? 950 Pro for m2 slot or pcie.
>>
>>54314241

In the end, there can be none
The SSD Endurance Experiment represents the longest test TR has ever conducted. It's been a lot of work, but the results have also been gratifying. Over the past 18 months, we've watched modern SSDs easily write far more data than most consumers will ever need. Errors didn't strike the Samsung 840 Series until after 300TB of writes, and it took over 700TB to induce the first failures. The fact that the 840 Pro exceeded 2.4PB is nothing short of amazing, even if that achievement is also kind of academic.

Obviously, the limited sample size precludes drawing definitive conclusions about the durability and reliability of the individual drives. The second HyperX's against-all-odds campaign past 2PB demonstrates that some SSDs are simply tougher than others. The important takeaway is that all of the drives wrote hundreds of terabytes without any problems. Their collective endurance is a meaningful result.

You completely misinterpreted the article, faggot
>>
>>54311182
Doing a fresh install of Windows 7 now is like a sport, you keep doing a little better every time before you injure yourself and have to quit doing it altogether
>>
Samsung, Crucial and Sandisk make good SSDs.

Avoid the rest.
>>
>>54314241
by the time it dies? In 30-40 years?
>>
>>54312661
>Mushkin Reactor LT
That's a pretty good choice, if you live in the US. Warranty and support here is GOAT and you can't argue with that extra 32GB.
>Mushkin Triactor
Meh
>Crucial BX200
It's shit because it was their first foray into TLC SSDs, and they fucked it up with a shitty sustained write speed and garbage collection issues. You're much better off with the BX100, you you can even find one now.
>Kingston V300
No longer bait-and-switch, but it's still garbage for the price. Even on sale because of...
>Sandisk SSD plus
I'd recommend this for a cheap SSD for light usage and low budgets.
>Corsair Force LE
Corsair have an okay firmware to go with their controller. They're still overpriced for what they offer.
>OCZ Trion 150
It's better than the Trion 100, but not 850 EVO-tier in performance. The Trion 100 was a literal piece of shit like the BX200. They took it off the market in months, which not even the Kingston V300 did even after the bait-and-switch controversy.
>Toshiba Q300
Overpriced.
>Adata SP550
Solid buy. I'd pick it over the Sandisk SSD Plus if you can score one for around the same price.
>>
>>54315679
I made no interpretation of it whatsoever. I simply linked it so people could come to their own conclusion.

You assumed, asshole.

I also understand that given the small sample, all we can say is that one of a few models accomplished 2.5 petabytes worth of writes. Really ANYTHING over a petabyte will do you well. Because the majority will get to at least that far, it's not really worth spending money on the best right now when even the cheapest will do nicely.
>>
>>54314685
You could blame that on the Sandforce controller. They used Silicon Motion this time. 540 is a TLC based 16nm from Hynix. I wouldn't buy the 535 series either, I have a 730 that I found on sale.

new 540 will do

560read 480write 78k iops/ 4k read 85k/4k write
So much better performance than 535. MTBF at 1.6million. 5 Year warranty.
>>
>>54311182
Use clonezilla if you insist on cloning.
>>
File: samsung-850-evo-exploded-ssd.jpg (72 KB, 1066x589) Image search: [Google]
samsung-850-evo-exploded-ssd.jpg
72 KB, 1066x589
>>54308947
I just installed my second one of these
>>
>>54308947
Memes
>>
>>54312390
>WD Blue

Literally the most unreliable drives I've ever used. Built a 5x320GB RAID 5 array back in the day and within 6 months, 2 drives had failed. If I was stupid enough to use RAID 0 I'd have been fucked.
>>
Can't go wrong with SanDisk

They invented flash after all.
>>
File: 1443617567475.jpg (54 KB, 734x404) Image search: [Google]
1443617567475.jpg
54 KB, 734x404
>>54308947
Sandisk SSD Plus if you're going for cheapest.

It has fucking MLC
>>
>>54311871
>SSD that will last 5-10 years minimum, and slowly wear out while giving SMART warnings
vs
>HDD that could die at any moment, without much early warning- it could break a week after you buy it, or it could last 15 years. No way to know.
>>
>>54317689
>thinking SSDs are not affected by spontaneous drive failure

All drives are subject to spontaneous failure, period. That's why they come with a warranty.
>>
>>54314685
Mfw I have a 535 one. What does ''write amplification " has to do with drive longevity though?
I can cope with slow write but i can't bear having it die on me
>>
File: Samsung_PCIe.jpg (626 KB, 1603x1200) Image search: [Google]
Samsung_PCIe.jpg
626 KB, 1603x1200
Are we really in the three drive era?

M.2 x4(soon x16) nvme (256gb+)
>OS, frequent programs

SSD (1tb+)
>Programs and games

Hard drive (4tb+)
>large and slow stuff like videos and movies
>>
>>54317759
write amplification happens when the controller does wear leveling. it moves data from one group of cells to another, so after you move a file or something it might shuffle some data around, resulting in more data written than the size of the files moved.

for some reason the controller in the 535 series constantly writes data (for me it's around 1GB every 10 minutes) even when the system is idle. the drive is slowly wearing itself out and there's no way to stop it short of taking it offline.
>>
>>54311182
Listen. Get an Evo 850/Pro, download a cracked ISO, use Rufus to make a bootable flash-drive, use the tool from Gigabyte to make it USB 3.0/3.1 compatible. When installing updates, deselect everything from 2015/2016, and install everything (the bulk) from 2014 and earlier. Then install maybe 10 update each day after looking up their details on the microsoft website. You'll be done in less than week.

If you want to clone your OS, the evo 850 comes with the Samsung Data Migration Software, which effortlessly transfers your entire disk on to the SSD, given it has enough space (works fine if it's a partition, or if you shrink your partition to be compatible with the SSD's size)
>>
>>54314572
And from their point of view it was not a warranty issue. So when the fix didn't help you were shit out of luck.
>>
>>54317731
>All drives are subject to spontaneous failure, period. That's why they come with a warranty.

While that is true, SSD are suppose to be really good drives that will last you maybe 10-20 years. That is because there are no moving parts at all inside a SSD. Unlike regular drives with spinning platters inside that fuck up after about 3 years.

People have even dropped a SSD from high buildings and it still runs fine.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.