[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/entlemen, I'll be moving to a new flat in few weeks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1376282_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg (51 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1376282_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg
51 KB, 1000x1000
Sup /g/entlemen, I'll be moving to a new flat in few weeks and on this occasion I'd like to setup some sort of NAS/mediacenter solution for my new abode.
Since there doesn't seem to be a relevant thread anywhere, let's have a nice discussion. What are you using, full blown PC or NAS enclosure? Are you running some proprietary OS or a linux distro? Do you also use your box for torrents or other applications?
>>
>>54304321
Extra drives in my PC as an FTP server. My 8320 pays off sometimes....
>>
I use a netbook with a couple of 2TB external drives attached to it. It runs debian stable and a bunch of services (transmission web, nginx, sshd and a couple of other things).
It's pretty great, I can stream my movies using mpv or add new torrents from anywhere and it's stable as fuck.

I was thinking about building something much more robust like a 12+TB box with a btrfs raid but I don't have enough money for it yet. NAS enclosures don't seem very practical for my use cases, I want to be able to add disks and have complete control over my system.
>>
>>54304454
That sounds pretty ghetto, doesn't your netbook produce a shit ton of heat this way, I'd be worried about it dying off.
>>
File: 51CUM7N0pdL.jpg (49 KB, 500x424) Image search: [Google]
51CUM7N0pdL.jpg
49 KB, 500x424
I'm thinking about running this (HP ProLiant MicroServer) with freenas
>>
>>54304474
It is super ghetto but it is running an atom N270 which doesn't get very hot even with passive cooling (It's using a fan, though). It's sitting in a pretty cool basement anyway so I don't really worry about heat. Its load is pretty much always below 0.5 even with a shitton of torrents seeding.
My biggest worry is one of the shitty external drives dying but I'm running smartctl periodically and their health seems okay even though they both have been powered on for more than 40k hours.
>>
>>54304321
I use a 5350 on itx platform hooked up to my tv. It's my stream box for both in home and away. In home I use it for FTP and Netflix. Out of home, I use it to tunnel my internet traffic or queue up file operations or torrents.

Not counting my storage drives, it ran about $140 to build or $40 after I sold my old hp compaq pro 6000 that this was replacing (and I got for free).
>>
>>54304539
I'm eyeballing with one of those too.
I'd install ESXi 6.0 with a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM and a debian VM with ownCloud

4x4TB HDD RAID 10

Backup would be Veeam Backup and Replication with a NAS a primary backup target
>>
>>54304539
They're ok. Only problem I know of is unless your using the hardware RAID (or you stick one of your disks in RAID0) the fan noise will be quite noticeable. Also no hotswap.
>>
>>54304756
I hate network guys.

All this free access to proper virtualisation shit and no knowledge behind it.
>>
>>54304321
i have an old hp mediasmart server ex485 with an intell q9550s cpu and 2 gig of ram. i have a 4 gig stick that i haven't installed yet.

i have it as my plex server and for downloading torrents. running on... windows 10. why win10? it was running fine on win7 until plex decided to run on sp1 and newer. for some reason, the sp1 upgrade refused to take, regardless of multiple different approaches. decided to try different versions of linux. plex works fine. teamviewer, which i use to connect to all of my pcs, is a bitch to get working properly on linux. everything i've tried, fails. so i gave up on linux altogether. tried windows server 2012 r2. beautiful. except for the fact that it reboots under load. as soon as i try to stream something, reboot. decided to try win10 ltsb n. shit works. if this gives me difficulty, i'll try using the successors to winflp. possibly server 2016, depending on timing.
>>
>>54304539
wait... what? no hotswap? isn't that dependent on the os though? you can hotswap on the older mediasmart server.
>>
File: DSCN0986.jpg (310 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0986.jpg
310 KB, 900x675
Just put a new controller in my FreeNAS box, the Fractal case is such a poor design that I had to cut a piece out of the drive cage to fit it in :/
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.