[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I was given a broken Seagate HDD to play around with and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: slimseagates1280.jpg (145 KB, 1280x967) Image search: [Google]
slimseagates1280.jpg
145 KB, 1280x967
So I was given a broken Seagate HDD to play around with and I'm trying to figure out a way to revive the thing.

I haven't gotten very far because it's not detected by any machine that I stick it into, at least no windows machine, doesn't show up in disk management or bios.

I'm hoping that it might show up under a ubuntu live usb in an external enclosure, but I wouldn't know where to go from there to get it back up an running.

any ideas? If it does show up should I just format it and hope that fixes it?
>>
>>54298831
if the BIOS doesn't see it, no OS will.

It's gone. take the thing apart for its magnets
>>
>>54298926
lol k, I don't want to spend the money on data recovery anyway.
>>
Oh, also I was given an i5 4460 but the guy that gave it to me wrapped it in a paper towel, think it still works?

It was working before
>>
>>54298926
That's not true at all, my boot drive doesn't show up in BIOS but it still boots up fine. If it doesn't show in Disk Management or in /dev/ it's fucked.
>>
>>54299389
likely it is on a separate controller, like a secondary SATA controller. My RAID is up and running, it does not show up in the BIOS but there is another intel SATA chip that provides access to the disks.
>>
>>54299389
>>54299482
errrr...so is there a solution?
>>
>>54298831
If you've tried multiple machines and it doesn't show up in BIOS, it's broken. Now it might be functional enough to do something in your USB enclosure, but the autist saying "that's not true at all" is basically assuming that you didn't plug the drive into the onboard controller in ANY of your tests and instead plugged it into a separate SATA card and that's why it didn't show up in the BIOS.

Formatting isn't going to make the drive magically show up in BIOS...
>>
>>54298831

Stick it in the freezer.
>>
>plug it in
>start live Ubuntu
>type lsblk into terminal

If it doesn't show up under the list of /dev/ devices, stick in freezer and try again
>>
>>54298831
>a broken Seagate HDD
The "broken" is redundant.
All Seagates are broken, some don't know it yet.
>>
File: 770-4.jpg (75 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
770-4.jpg
75 KB, 750x563
Put in the oven for about ten minutes at 400. Trust me I do this for a living.
>>
>>54299877
>lsblk

cool, I'll do that
>>
>>54298987
It will work.
CPU's are sturdy.
>>
>>54303691
awesome thanks!
>>
>>54299975
This
>>
>>54303847
what's that going to do, this isn't a 360
>>
File: 1452662616122637710[1].jpg (525 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1452662616122637710[1].jpg
525 KB, 1600x1200
>>54298831
> any ideas?
Clean controllers with an eraser.
>>
>>54298831
Clean the circuit board or change it for another equal one.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.