[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me understand what goes through these peoples head /g/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 1457332318933.jpg (10 KB, 539x468) Image search: [Google]
1457332318933.jpg
10 KB, 539x468
Help me understand what goes through these peoples head /g/

>Recently gut my grandmas computer to salvage for any useful parts after she got some new one
>Parts were actually fairly new and jewed some people out of money on Craigslist
>Anyways onto the actual story
>Take the computer case she had to the dump since it was basically useless
>As I'm carrying it to the metal waste a 40 year old lady tells me to put it in a special sorting area because something about computer parts being hazardous
>Casually tell her it's just the case and that I removed all the internals
>She gives me this dumbfounded look and asked "You took out all the parts yourself?"
>I'm kinda caught of guard and just go "Yeah?"
>She immediately asks "Do you have a permit for that?"
>I must have given the most confused face I could muster because an older guy that I could only assume is her superior kinda gave me this look and then put his face in his hands
>She continues to go on about how that's regulated and I need to be certified to do that kinda thing if I don't wanna get fined
>She then goes off on about how "computer stuff" can give you cancer and that I should probably get checked out

Mid way through her talking I just put the case on the ground and told her that I needed to be somewhere and drove away. Never in my life have I had a run in with someone so monumentally stupid.
>>
>>54298132
basically these people are technophobes and have very little understanding of how technology works. Aka Boomers.

Just ignore them and kek at their stupidity right in front of them, not like they are gonna do something to you.
>>
>>54298132
I went a similar situation with microwave ovens. I was taking them from the dump and removing the power supplies. The dump attendent warned me that the capacitors contain PCB's. A substance that has been banned since the 1970's.
>>
File: 3.gif (2 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
3.gif
2 MB, 360x203
>>54298132
>an older guy that I could only assume is her superior kinda gave me this look and then put his face in his hands
Sounds like a fun job.
>>
>>54298132
I get a similar feeling when Christians tell me that Jesus died for me
>>
>>54298253
I like how they think they can stop it.
>>
>>54298132
They don't know anything but it's worse because they think they know everything.
>>
>>54298132
My uncle once gave me a stern lecture about how smartphones are bad for the environment and cause cancer. Its people like this that make me lose faith in natural selection
>>
>>54298132
>a permit for taking the internal parts of a pc out
It's like saying you need a permit to take parts out of your car's engine, what the fuck, how do people when get those retarded thoughts?
>>
Its because people spew god awful tech advice that comes from god knows where. It took me a long time as a kid to peel away from all of the bullshit parents/teachers/media teaches you about technology, took a while until I felt safe browsing the web without a $200 subscription to an anti virus company.
>>
>>54298341
To them, a computer is a magical, mystical thing that can only be remotely understood by someone with a doctorate in computing and several, government approved, certifications.

In essence, they believe it requires certifications because it is "difficult".
>>
Jesus christ i know this is pasta but there are people in congress who are like this
>>
File: 1457927806492.png (65 KB, 535x373) Image search: [Google]
1457927806492.png
65 KB, 535x373
>>54298409
This is not a pasta, people like this actually exist anon.
>>
>>54298447
Do you have certification to determine rather or not someth8ng is pasta?
>>
>>54298132
>She then goes off on about how "computer stuff" can give you cancer and that I should probably get checked out

fuckin kek'd, does she think computers have their own nuclear reactor or something?

holy fuck, this world has some truly stupid folks.
>>
>>54298132

People are afraid of what they don't understand.
>>
>>54298341
she probably thought he had thrown everything else away or something, or maybe not
>>
I see where she's coming from, since people tend to surround themselves with others like them, I can understand one of her friends trying to eat the case and getting heavy metal poisoning.
>>
File: 1460388239230.jpg (8 KB, 265x265) Image search: [Google]
1460388239230.jpg
8 KB, 265x265
>>54298501
>>54299943
Good posts
>>
>>54298272
Reflexive.
>>
>>54298341
>how do people when get those retarded thoughts?
>how do people when get those retarded
How do when get retarded?
>>
>>54298132

Old people are retarded like that. They think laws are protecting them.
>>
>>54303325
Well shit, I forgot to turn off google's retarded suggestion on my keyboard
>>
>>54298132
>fucking priceless lulz
Thanks for sharing
>>
>>54298132
you need a permit
>>
>>54298132
So what I'm hearing is that you don't have a permit...
>>
You might actually really need a permit to recycle computer parts yourself.
That's probably all she knows about it.
Computer Parts = permit
Doesn't make her less retarded, though.
>>
THAT's the dumbest person you've encountered?

how long have you been browsing /g/ for?
>>
>>54298132
do you have a permit to tell this story?
you can't just put people into stories you know, you could get fined
>>
>>54298233
>The dump attendent warned me that the capacitors contain PCB's. A substance that has been banned since the 1970's.
That's correct and PCBs are chronically poisonous. They can cause lasting damage
>>
>>54298341
According to your insurance company, you need to be a licensed mechanic, put a manufacturer spec engine back in, and report it all in detail or you get sky high rates or no coverage
>>
>>54298299
But they do. All your wireless shit gives you cancer. Your wifi your phone...

Also some minerals that go on your phone are dig up in africa by some enslaved kid.

So. Even if nobody cares your uncle was right
>>
>>54298253
>tfw you have camera footage showing nobody did anything wrong and the thing literally just collapsed by itself
>feelsgood
>>
>>54298299
Radiation does cause cancer, and the harvesting of the production materials as well as the disposal of small electronics is notably bad for the environment.
>>
>>54303939
>>54304217
Wrong kind of radiation, fuckwads.
>>
>>54298299
Smartphones really are bad for the environment and cause cancer though.
Not to the people that use them, but they are environmental disasters from the shit that gets done to make one, and the materials give a lot of cancer to chinese slaves.
Perfectly safe to use, physiologically at least.
Their use makes people stupid, but that's not a fault of the technology.
>>
>>54304847
>haha dude what do you mean it's not even uranium like what the hell lmao
>>
>>54304876
>what is alpha, beta, gamma radiation and how are they different?
>>
File: 1405917182780.png (372 KB, 740x620) Image search: [Google]
1405917182780.png
372 KB, 740x620
I would have told her that I'm a hacker and I used the computer to hack the government so I need to get rid of the evidence. After that I would have just dropped it and sped away like a lunatic. You gotta remember though that the county facilities like that are on par with services like Goodwill. Just be nice and smile then get the fuck out.
>>
>>54298253
>taking out the load bearing wine bottle
>>
>>54298299
Smartphones are super bad for the environment, he's not wrong.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.