[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Linux so damn frustrating to use?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10
File: intersellarcooper.jpg (87 KB, 540x322) Image search: [Google]
intersellarcooper.jpg
87 KB, 540x322
Why is Linux so damn frustrating to use?
>>
because its a new concept to you and you're not devoting enough time to understand and learn how it works.
>>
Using it is fine. Messing with it at even subsurface requires better googlefu.

Not trying to shill, but apparently duckduckgo is trying to improve on this over google, since google is so mediocre at finding relevant forum threads.
>>
Works for me.
>>
What specifically are you having trouble with?
>>
>>54285739
U SHILL
>>
>>54285440
Linux is more user friendly than Windows.
>>
>>54285440
because you're an autistic, mentally retarded monkey child that is 1 DNA away from being a fucking chimpanzee. If you don't understand how a the standard UNIX hierarchy works, or how configuration files work, that's you're problem.

How's high school treating you? Still struggling with Trig?
>>
ITT: Taking the bait
>>
Because just when you think you got everything sorted another problem appears after a few days. Also no Linux distro can perfectly do sleep mode on NVIDIA GPU laptops.
>>
>>54285440
Most likely because you're borderline retarded. I don't "like" Loonix and wouldn't want to use it as my main OS but any popular distro is pretty easy to use.

>>54285777
Also this.
>>
I honestly would use only Linux if it supported more vidya
>>
>>54285440
>muh babby duck syndrome
Also, linux is a fucking kernel, you twat.
>>
>>54285973
you do trig in uni
>>
>>54285739
>googlefu
reddit is that way
>>
C'mon Patel is not that hard.
>>
I actually find windows a lot worse after becoming acquainted with Linux. Especially installation and maintenance is a pain in windows.
>>
File: 1447569783410.png (274 KB, 497x623) Image search: [Google]
1447569783410.png
274 KB, 497x623
>>54286120
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: 1459090352470.jpg (21 KB, 476x476) Image search: [Google]
1459090352470.jpg
21 KB, 476x476
>>54286138
>>
>frustrating to use

cuz nigga, you retarded.
>>
Because it's made by autists for other autists.
>>
File: 1409911974885.jpg (94 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1409911974885.jpg
94 KB, 640x427
>>54285973
>1 DNA
>"that's you're problem"

>Insulting someone else's intellect when you have the English skills of a fourth grader

top jej
>>
File: 1444834474758.webm (175 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1444834474758.webm
175 KB, 1920x1080
>>54285440
your beard is not long enough
>>
>>54286121
>trig
>uni
>having such a shit tier education system

Trig should be taught in highschool as a general course
>>
>>54287302
We had calculus in my high school. Does that mean it shouldn't be covered in university?
>>
You're going from using resizable hedge clippers to using a hatchet, and you have yet to properly grasp the hatchet. When your hatchet grip becomes an extension of your penis grip--- this is when Linux becomes easy.
>>
>>54287320
If the class requires calculus/trig/any math the professor will usually do a revisionary lesson at the start of the semester, but there is no class dedicated to it.

Besides if calculus/trig is taught at school, you shouldn't take a major that requires it if you're not good at it.
>>
>>54285459
this. And because the people that use linux get used to not having all the convenience you have in windows. Instead of a control panel you now have all these neat conf files. Instead of a unified interface for everything you get many shit gui editors that are like a safety layer between you and the .conf files.

My suggestion: Unless you're 100% ready and willing to learn to use linux on a daily basis, just dont use it on your machine. Use something you like - and relegate linux based systems to where they belong- in the closet powering your server.
>>
>>54287385
What I was getting at was that high school courses are at best just a surface glance at whatever their topic is. A high school math course will give you a couple of formulas to memorise and call it at that. University mathematics is fundamentally different from its high school equivalent.
>>
>>54287302
SOH CAH TOA doesn't count.
>>
>>54285440
why are you so damn retarded?
>>
>>54286121
Education is shit if you do trig in uni
>>
>>54285440
>because its software alternatives to windows are shit
>because you are force to pick between a stable distro vs update software
>because there is no universal way to download Linux software
>because you are retarded
>>
>>54287071
Is that Richard Stallman's brother?
>>
>>54285440
suck my dick TARS
>>
>>54285440
Because it's written by college students

Have fun using a half-baked product
>>
>>54287634
If I'm recognizing the wallpaper right, it's /g/'s very own Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Apprentice Sysadmin of !GEnsOKyOwY. I haven't seen him post with his trip since around 2010 or 2011?
>>
>>54285440
It's idiot-proof.
>>
>>54287690
lol nigger, I was just making a joke. The video up there was posted by him 2 weeks ago on /a/
>>
>>54287690
hes posted way later than that.

Hes possibly the only good trip imo
>>
>>54286122
>he only heard the term from reddit

That term is older than reddit kiddo. Maybe you should stick to redditing instead of trying to meme with the big boys.
>>
ITT Lincucks desperately try to justify the endless hours they poured into learning how their OS works under the hood, just to get it working properly.
>>
>>54288042
written by a windows user pretending they didn't have to learn anything
>>
>>54288042
Oh no! People are having fun tinkering with their OS. I couldn't imagine anything more horrible for a tech enthusiast than that!
>>
>>54285440
It's preparing you for real life anon.
>>
>>54288068
but wndows users don't have to learn anything

which is bad, people at least need to learn some basics

linux wants too much of basics and windows too little
>>
>tried to update ubuntu 15.10 to 16.04. Pressed ok and let the computer finish
>tells me the download is complete, I restarted
>"OS not found"
Only on fucking linux. If you download the lts versions and ONLY use ubuntu as an email and youtube machine that's fine. Other than that it's fucking hell.
>>
>>54288042
Running xubuntu on my laptop is flawless from a clean install, while Windows requires me to have drivers previously downloaded and backed up to get the system online and running.

The whole timesink meme needs to end.
>>
File: feelsgood.jpg (20 KB, 329x357) Image search: [Google]
feelsgood.jpg
20 KB, 329x357
>install loonix for my mom 1.5 years ago
>spend a day setting up and configuring shit
>never had to fix it again

It's extremely good for tech illiterates.
>>
>>54286121
Top Kek.
>>
File: msb11.png (216 KB, 800x933) Image search: [Google]
msb11.png
216 KB, 800x933
>>54287425
The control panel is a nightmare not a convenience, what kind of masochist are you anon
>>
>>54288106
If you're a retard, yes. But at that level of tech iliteracy even using a microwave is hell, so that's not the OS's fault.
>>
>>54285973
>understand how a the standard
>that's you're problem

>How's high school treating you?
Just wait, you'll find out in about two more years.
>>
File: 1456323936389.png (250 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
1456323936389.png
250 KB, 700x600
>>54285440
I remember when I was a newfag
>>
>>54290336
Somewhat accurate. Still going through the learning phase.
>>
>>54285973
>understand how a the standard
How's that down syndrome working out for you?
>>
File: linux roolz, okay?.png (405 KB, 850x719) Image search: [Google]
linux roolz, okay?.png
405 KB, 850x719
>>54288042
Anti-semite!
>>
>>54285440
Because once you get it it becomes so much easier than anything else. Until then: stop being a pussy.
>>
Because it has poorly designed UIs and the interface is designed with convenience and the user experience as an after thought.

Unless you have low spec hardware is tough to find a good reason to run on Linux full time
>>
Because you installed a distro that's frustrating to use most likely.
>>
>>54290919
nice babble
>>
>>54287425
>Instead of a control panel you now have all these neat conf files.

t. Linux exbert
>>
Because people who use it don't understand the appeal of a user friendly OS.

Most users don't use a computer because they like computers, they use them because they have tasks they need to accomplish.
I'm not saying linux users don't have work to do, merely that they have work to do and they like computers.

The thing with OSX or windows is that you only need to learn it once. And by learn I mean do basic stuff like install software or update drivers.
I love linux and testing out different distros and whatnot. It really is an amazing accomplishment. But I feel like I need to learn new things all the fucking time. That's a fantastic "feature" if you love computers. But if you don't, it's just hassle you don't need.
And there's nothing wrong with people who don't love computers.
>>
>>54285440
Because you're black.
>>
>>54290919
>Because it has poorly designed UIs
Kernels don't have UIs, let alone poorly designed ones.

t, Graphic Designer.
>>
>>54287492
SUCK A TOEEE-AAH
>>
>>54291202

You're right: They have DEs which have poorly designed UIs.

Congratulations, you're pedantic and autistic but technically not wrong
>>
File: Screenshot__57_.0[1].png (802 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot__57_.0[1].png
802 KB, 1920x1080
>>54285440
Funny, that's how I feel when presented with pic related.

>>54287492
Some Old Hens
Cackle And Hackle
Till Old Age
>>
>>54287425
>Instead of a control panel

and computer management... and system properties.... and the registry... and the tools that don't actually exist on the system but are provided by microsoft to change settings...

>you now have all these neat conf files.

while the location may change, they're almost always in extremely predictable places even after they change

>Instead of a unified interface for everything

apart from where it's not unified and you get windows 98 skins for some interfaces and skins with ribbons for everything else

it's like you don't even use windows :^)

>you get many shit gui editors that are like a safety layer between you and the .conf files.

>y-you get many conf files but here's an editor that edits those conf files without needing to know anything about them but that's bad
>>
If not you're interested in learning how Linux works, stop wasting your fucking time. Nothing of value is easy to learn.
>>
>>54291859
Looks like something for a tablet. Is that really what Windows looks like these days?
>>
Someone post the Linux cheat sheet
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.