[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is SSD still considered a meme or is it a viable option? Also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: Samsung 850 Evo SSD.jpg (71 KB, 620x371) Image search: [Google]
Samsung 850 Evo SSD.jpg
71 KB, 620x371
Is SSD still considered a meme or is it a viable option?

Also is there a /g/ wiki type primer on all these SSD lingos (like different underlying technologies for the cells) that I can read? My knowledge of harddrives stop at HDD and I want to know more.
>>
>>54268940
only idiots think SSDs are meme
>>
>>54268985

it's like benchmarks don't exist and 7200rpm is the pinnacle of tech
>>
>>54268940
Just get the Evo you posted, its bang for buck for reliability and speed.
>>
>>54268985
Well, most of the SSDs manufactured nowadays last like 3-5 years... I don't think they're better than HDDs at least for the tome being.
>>
>>54269567
time being*
>>
>>54269567

Just in case you're not pretending to be copletely retarded here, where did you get that information?

SSDs manufactured nowadays will outlive you.
>>
>>54269567
just do a regular backup, nigger
>>
>>54269567
That's not true, SSDs last longer than HDDs on average.
>>
>>54269567
The chance of any of the moving parts of an HDD to fail is several times higher than for anything on an SSD to fail.

The write cycles are FUD, unless you're running a DB server, an SSD will last you 10-20 years and you will get several warning signs that it's about to give its last breath before it ACTUALLY dies.

Controller defects happen "more" often, but still VERY few times. Just look up reviews, RMA data etc.
>>
>>54268940
it was never a meme.
>>
>>54268940
>2016
>still falling for the SSD meme
ayy lmao
>>
>>54270180
>SSDs last longer than HDDs on average.
A brave statement. SSDs haven't been around long enough for that to be true.
Besides, the issue isn't how long they last but the fact that they die silently and are not recoverable.
>>
>>54270437
10 year old SSDs still work while HDDs usually fail after 3-4 years.
>>
Yes the random read/write speed that is 100times higher on average...is just a meme.

Every laptop hard drive I've encountered just fucks up after 2 years of moderate usage. I've been replacing them all with SSD's at work.
It's litteraly the best upgrade you can do to make your computer work faster.
>>
File: 1458084591890.png (161 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1458084591890.png
161 KB, 499x499
>>54268940
>he fell for the SSD metameme
>>
>>54268940
SSDs for your OS and critical software (I use an SSD for each) is an incredible boost to system performance. Has been that way for probably half a decade now.

Really just throw a small (but quality) SSD in for your OS and use HDDs for everything else if price is a concern. The small cost of an SSD is 100% worth it though.

>>54270437
Most of the longevity issues were solved four or five years ago when the Crucial M4 came out. Most high end SSDs should last ages now.

I threw an M4 in a server in 2012 and after some initial problems, that were solved with a firmware upgrade, there's been almost no degradation on the drive.

>>54270906
I still use HDDs for storage but they're all server drives which seem to last way longer.
>>
>>54268940
Trolls on /g/ never change.

Anyway get a 850 EVO and thats it, the best you can get for cheap.
Saving even $5 bucks on other SSD is a huge difference in reliability, performance and lifetime.
>>
>>54269614
Well, I've seen many SSD health and longevity test results posted here on /g/ maybe a week ago. People who just bought their SSDs had an expected lifespan of just 3-4 years max.
>>
>>54274135
Talking out of your ass, even under heavy server conditions you can expect at minimum 5 years and generally 10-20 years at more moderate write levels.
>>
Can someone help me with a problem? Say if I buy an SSD and my current HDD is MBR format, if I install my OS on that SSD and then plug in my HDD, can I still access my drive?
SSD in GPT and HDD in MBR format?
>>
>>54269567
That is incredibly wrong. People who post that they're a meme do it because people on /g/ are dumb enough to take their bait, or they're retarded.
>>
The fact that SSD dies without warning makes me nervous. My laptop came with one that doesn't work with tools that help analyse its health.
>>
>>54268940
Hard drives in laptops are a meme by now.

Just the lower power consumption alone is worth it.
>>
>>54275304
Why would it make you nervous? If you drive died you just restore a backup.
>>
>>54275304

I read SMART data and only once I could replace a hdd before it broke compared to 6 unexpected crashes.

Assume all drives will die unexpected. That's why you have backups.
>>
>>54275304
>The fact that SSD dies without warning makes me nervous.

Your HDD can just as well fail without warning.

But any data not worth backing up isn't worth worrying about.
>>
Kys
>>
>>54274988
Sure.
>>
>>54275429
Thanks!
>>
>>54274180
OK, fair enough. But SSDs aren't up to par to HDDs as of yet.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.