[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ im looking into switching career paths from warehouse to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
/g/ im looking into switching career paths from warehouse to IT. The problem i have is literally every job app requires min 1-2yrs experience within level 1 and/or 2 support, my question is has anyone experienced something similar and how did you deal? help greatly appreciated.
>>
>>54266761

Apply yourself
>>
3 PhD certificates isn't enough anymore. Sorry OP.
>>
>>54266761
TL;DR i have no IT experience in past but have cert 4 in IT how do i get a job that's entry level IT when it requires fucking experience ??
>>
>>54266794
Get 5 certificates. That should do it.
>>
>>54266772
i have been applying im even considering volunteer work
>>
>>54266761
Initially getting into IT is the hard part. Generally first jobs are gotten through friends setting you up, or job placement companies. After the first job it gets easier.
>>
>>54266827
i have been thinking about going through an agency thats an option i havent tried yet
>>
File: SICP.jpg (95 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
SICP.jpg
95 KB, 500x492
>>54266794
Apply anyways. Some will throw your resume out for not meeting prerequisites, some will give you an interview but not like you.
That second window of opportunity leaves a slight chance of getting hired if they're desperate. See also, >>54265595 →, IT is a dead end field.
In the (hopefully) short time it took you to get those certificates you could have gone through several fundamental books on programming.
>>
>>54266761
LIE
>>
>>54266877
When you do that, just be sure to focus on placement companies where the employer foots the bill. Those companies are trying to place good people in jobs instead of just trying to get it done quick.

If at all possible, going through a friend/contact/acquaintance. It works out better in my experience.
>>
File: 1460903588387.jpg (32 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1460903588387.jpg
32 KB, 540x960
okay so you faggots need help. I can help.

>1 page resume, no more, no less. Filled. Minimal white space, read it a thousand times to avoid spell/grammatical errors
>don't be a retard/creative butterfly. Use a well known conservative resume style.
>drop the summary/objective have in descending order: experience, skills, education, extra
>find some good references
>build a portfolio. Start right the now. Go to namecheap and get a cheap website. Put all your projects/code on it and give a description as to why the motivation. After your contact info on your resume throw in the link website:www.your-shittty-fucking-website.com at the top. This is your portfolio, so add to it gradually refine it if you want to move up later.
>read the previous step until you actually do it because no else ever has their portfolio ready and you need to fuck their shit up
>show that you're willing to learn more, know how to apply what you've already learned, and one step better, show that you're willing to legitimize your learning my mentioning wanting to do further education in your coverletter/interview
>confidence and a firm handshake, lot's of eye contact, and be friendly. "We're hiring the person, not their skills". you're garbage if you're skilled but don't know how to apply them

good luck anon. again, proofread, proofread, proofread.
>>
>>54266911
The IT industry is booming. If your skill set is something pajeet can do, then yeah you're fucked. But help desk 3 and up are safe for the foreseeable future.
>>
Lie your ass off about small details that you could learn in less than one day. HR turds are the biggest most contrarian retards you will ever, ever, ever meet, they don't know shit about shit about shit about any form of technology and will end your chance for the whole thing because of the most pointless detail possible. For example, "He didn't know this particular language but did know every other single one out there like it"
>b-but
Lie your ass off. They want you to lie.
>>
>>54266941

This is true to some degree, but keep it plausible and be ready to fake it during the interview. It'll be so obvious if you only have surface level understand, so be careful. If you get bites, be prepared to go back on what you said and start learning it before well before the actual interview.
>>
lie, stupid. this type of lack of initiative is why you're working in a warehouse
>>
Posted this in the other similar thread:

Was fun while it lasted, until the jobs started turning into contract positions and remote "assistants" from India.

Good luck getting anything decent left that's not taken by the 20+ year vets.

I've since moved to CS and haven't looked back. It was one thing to stay on top of moving tech, but it's more like a race to the bottom for wages and hours now.
>>
im trying to do this in San Francisco
I fucking hate selling myself, specifically because I have no idea of what the fuck I'm doing
I came from puerto rico with a bachellor's degree in computer engineer
the curriculum was shit (very general, no depth to classes) and in general i was a dipshit through college (didnt attend job fairs for fear of being rejected masquerading as I will be hired once im out, and was able to pass classes doing the minimum effort possible)
I've been actively looking for 4 months and the most common response is "we don't think you would be a good fit"
yea I get it. im going to be suffering for being a dip shit throughout college, but I've changed (i think) and my 'portfolio' is looking pleasant finally.
I could still use some feedback from some of you guys if any of you can spare a few minutes
>>
>>54267077

show me your shit friendo.
>>
>>54267090
tangerinelaboratories com
>>
>>54267077
Now it's not like I encourage this, but at a previous job there was someone over me that had a "bachelor's degree". This was in the public sector and they must have had a rule where they must take each "degree" seriously. Quickest way to tell you how hick this school was is that he didn't know what an IP address was. You should try this out but if you actually don't know anything or aren't willing to learn once you get the job, kill yourself.
>>
>>54267164
I should try learning what an IP address is? I didn't get the suggestion.
>>
I plan on being an electrical engineer. What is it like out the gate, what kind of daily life can i be looking at?
>>
>>54267183
you have a bachelor's degree and for the private sector they will judge you harshly based on the school's accreditation. In the public sector a "bachelor's degree" is a commodity item and they see one from an ivy league school the same as some online click button course. Government is full of victim complex fucks who cry discrimination and sue over much less because they know they will be taken seriously, you are now here. Just saying if you haven't already tried a government funded place
>>
File: allalone.jpg (260 KB, 1259x695) Image search: [Google]
allalone.jpg
260 KB, 1259x695
IT FEELS
>>
>>54267201
half my classes were in electrical engineering. i can only say
>>54267212
thanks for spelling that out. I worked for in an outsourcing firm doing BI for one year in puerto rico in a government office. i wish to avoid the experience if is similar to back home
>>
>>54266911
i have been applying and had some interviews one told me to consider volunteering to get a feel for the job. id love to get into programming i just dont have the smarts for it.
>>
>>54267233
>>54267201
... i can only say EE classes are difficult. many topics and many ways to get confused if you only learn from books. the best way i learned was near frying my fingers and burning a lot of components. that being said, a friend of mine who is pure EE (power) is doing exactly what he studied, which is essentially power load calculations (whatever that means)
>>
File: 1355543205916.jpg (305 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1355543205916.jpg
305 KB, 900x1200
>>54267183

It's a basic concept necessary to any form of local computing. Not having functional know-how of what it means it is a clear indication that someone is very inexperienced in any IT/computer degree. What he's saying is don't bullshit unless you're actually capable. Unfortunately being capable is done by projects/education. So do that.

Yeah you need to at least use a wordpress theme. seriously your website needs work as does your resume. Get rid of the bullets, switch to time, and follow this advice.

>>54266927
>>
>>54266925
thanks for the advice ive been looking into government run agencies and they seem to have incentive's for employers
>>
>>54267276
will do. thanks for the time anon
>>
>>54267201

It's rough in a lot of places. Be ready to be a programmer. Make a portfolio.
>>
>>54267233
That job also had a trans person there before my time. They basically admitted in so many words that they knew he (not even going to make the joke) wouldn't last two months but they could NOT say no because if they did they expected him to sue them. He did indeed last two months and was fired over basically not doing any work the entire time and I'm talking not 5 minutes of work over the whole job. Only reason I know about this is because after he was fired, they had to ask me almost 30 times through the interview process if I was male or female, and most of these times were in person. Also every e-mail from HR was tip toeing and would say things like,
>"We need Bob at this place at this time. Please bring this person along with you"
>Bring who?
>Bring this person
>Make Bob help Jane and do not let Bob do this to Jane's thing and I absolutely positively will not say him or her
If you can find a publicly funded place and not be an ass about not knowing certain things and willing to learn and also it isn't being taken advantage of by victim shits, more power to you. Expect this sort of shit though if you get into it.
>>
>>54266927
thanks anon i didn't think it would be so vital early on but shit that's why i'm here.
>>
>>54267133
>tangerinelaboratories.com
absolutely fucking learn basic web development, god i hope you haven't sent this mess to a potential employer

side note, you're a QT and pls be my boyfriend
>>
>>54266939
i just need the opportunity to step into IT so at least i have the experience needed to move up.
>>
>>54267376
>absolutely fucking learn basic web development, god i hope you haven't sent this mess to a potential employer
I have, it's my portfolio. I know but fucking hate css/design and style so I try to keep it minimal. If you have a more concrete point other than lrn2web please point it out I am actually doing this to improve the site.
>>
>>54267437
Just use squarespace or some other meme.

Im sure you understand css but that site is a cancer to my eyes

scrap it completely and start again
>>
File: 1359241806002.jpg (43 KB, 444x544) Image search: [Google]
1359241806002.jpg
43 KB, 444x544
>>54267363

It happens fast. I've gotten better with time and lots of rejection. I started off job hunting three months ago. At the beginning of April I had three offers. All of these places I made a point to meet other staff, take a tour of their office, and thoroughly understand their product. Research goes along way.

This is a bit extreme but if you're truly fucked and in a big city consider going in person. I'm not joking around about the staff thing. Every offer I got during the interview I made lots of jokes and talked to the staff before the interview. The best way to ensure this is showing up ~25 minutes early to an interview. This is an awkward time so you're guaranteed to have to wait. BE NICE TO THE SECRETARY! Treat her like your grandma and talk to her well you're waiting. They listen to her. It's a lot like Yoda testing Luke.

It's brutal man, you have to go the length. All the interviews I got were local and have technical questions so look up lots of examples. They use them too. I did it by looking at job postings but consider this...BUT DON'T FUCK IT UP

http://lifehacker.com/send-a-pain-letter-to-get-noticed-by-a-hiring-manager-1628116688
>>
>>54266761
>>54266918
>>54266941
>>54266959
>>54266987
SF rent is bleeding my dry and I only have 1 more month to keep "improving my skills while searching for a job". I know of a friend who knows a lot of people who have their job thanks to certain groups that basically make an arrangement with you (the developer). they explode your resume and put fake experience at the cost of a high percentage (30?) of your first 6 months salary. they have people on certain top companies who will vouch for you if questions are asked. I asked this friend of mine to put me in contact with these people and actually see if I land a fucking job by lying.
>>54267463
ok anon I will put my ego aside for you and start from square one
>>
>>54267503

damn that sounds sketchy as fuck. Be careful.

Use this to get through the door, if you get a job and fuck it up right away you might not be getting another job too quickly depending on how bad you fucked up.
>>
>>54267530
if I weren't desperate I wouldnt be considering it. The friend of mine, he has a friend who started doing the same thing a couple of years ago. He says it's so convenient he kept getting other jobs through the same network.
this is my last resort for san francisco. if i dont get something solid in the next few weeks i will be going to san diego to see if its a similar ballgame.
I have to say, in SF there is a lot of feminist bullshit. Seriously, I though here there would be a lot of no-nonsense for opportunist cunts but here is the worst i've seen it. My conclusion is to get an entry level (meaning high paying webdev) you need to be an expert angular/react or have a vagina.
>>
File: 1356851468120.jpg (55 KB, 525x662) Image search: [Google]
1356851468120.jpg
55 KB, 525x662
here's one more piece of advice before I go to bed. I am giving you this advice because I recently became employed and what goes around comes around so fucking praise buddha. I studied computer engineering and now I work for an automotive firm, but I'm pretty happy.

If you get an interview ask them at the end very directly "Do you have any concerns with my application?" Listen very carefully. You'll know right then and then where you stand and they have to give you feedback. Don't send a thank you note asking for "areas in which my application can improve". They are not a school and don't make report cards, they mostly likely won't answer you.

Get some hobbies related to your field.
>>
>>54267756
>I have to say, in SF there is a lot of feminist bullshit.
you didnt fucking know that before you moved there?
sanfransisco, oregon, and washington are the worst places in this country..
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.