[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you dad and mom think about computers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: 1459366256819.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1459366256819.gif
2 MB, 320x240
What do you dad and mom think about computers?
>>
>>54266755
As Facebook/Photo/YouTube machines. Got an iMac this last December, and seem happy with it.
>>
>>54266755
They're dead...
>>
>>54266755

They were both computer engineers in the 70s and 80s (dad still is, mom left the workforce when I was around 5 or so). They both like them and are competent at using them.
>>
>>54266755
Both own macbook pros/ipads for facebook and youtube. Also they think i work in IT fixing computers when i'm a programmer. with a CS degree.
>>
My mom is not very interested, she still hasn't learned how to use e-mail. It's been 5 years of her occasionally trying to use it. She doesn't want to learn and she's not interested in having Facebook.

My dad has been into computers since ZX Spectrum, so tech is not foreign to him but internet is. He's only recently truly started browsing internet other than Facebook since he isn't working anymore. He loves it, finds these ridiculous websites and reads shit idiots write and thinks it's all true. It would have been better if he just stayed on Facebook.
>>
>>54266755
My dad is a software engineer and mom works at a software company.

It's nice that I don't have to deal with too much family tech support shit.
>>
>>54266755
As necessary only for email and picture storage.

They also believe computers to be extremely unreliable because they make a lot of mistakes while doing simple tasks and chalk it up to the computer not working right.
>>
>>54266755
>mom
used as email machine and to file taxes
>dad
used for playing diablo 3
>>
My mom uses them, she doesn't like to read anything following an error message, but when I show her something, she writes it down and learns things quickly.
She mostly uses the computer for work.
She is interested on a practical level: how can I use this tool to make my life easier without learning how everything works.
She maintains a portion of a government website she edits through a browser app and responds to email, but I can't switch her to Linux again because she hated it the last time (Ubuntu 8.04) and I am not there so I can support her through the transition.

My dad is the reason I got into computers.
His employer got him a computer so he could check mail and stuff, but he never really used it and then I got to play with it.

He still doesn't use computers, have no desire at all to learn how to do things with them. His company got him an iPhone so now he can check the weather and respond to emails / share pictures of his work.
>>
Both my parents are tinfoilers
Dad won't connect his PC to the internet and still runs XP. He literally only plays card games on it.

Mom isn't as bad but freaks out about anything and repeats "I don't want them getting my info" whenever she has to change things on her macbook. She mainly uses her iPad as a facebook machine but she never posts and just lurks. She wouldn't even put up a profile pic.
>>
>>54266826
Mine are this

>>54266872
I wish they were this
>>
We've had computers in my house since I was born (91). My dad has always wanted to be a computer guy but he's not really smart enough for it.

Apart from typing skills, my mother is the same as any other mother with computers even though she's been using them for far longer. It's just seems impossible for her to learn anything.
>>
My dad has been working with databases and sql server shit since forever so he's always been a techy kinda guy and always had computers around.

My mom can barely even unlock her note 4 without asking for help. I don't think she's used a computer in years.
>>
>>54266755
It's a satanic invention
>>
>>54266755
They are fine with computers, but they dislike video games a lot since they claimed it "ruined me" when I was younger, although a couple of years later I am more fit than they have ever been (lifting for 5+ years) and have a job that pays more (they are a nurse and a engineer).
>>
They think it's a waste of time, for me specifically. They still think I'm only using my computer for gaming or something, while i quit that childish garbage 3 years ago
>>
>>54267848
Some parents are just dickheads senpai
>>
>>54267684
same
>>
>>54267500
Do you have a lot of siblings? I please say yes. People like your parents should make up a bigger share of the gene pool.
>>
honestly, they refuse to learn it, mom cant figure out how to do anything on her iphone (other than call and text) or her Samsung tablet other that the youtube app and refuses to listen to me because i "dont know what im talking about"
dad on the other hand literally calls me for tech support at work and at home to do basic shit like installing apps from the app store or how to run diagnostics on his work laptop for his own job
neither of them listen to me when i teach them and when they do, they manage to fuck something up doing things "i taught them"
technology has been such a burden to me because of them that it has turned me off of going to school for computer tech or even getting a job that requires me to sit at a desk
>>
>>54266755
Old balding and still only an assistant professor, even at MIT it's pathetic not to have tenure at that age and stage of his academic career.
>>
>>54267500
For a macfag and a winfag your parents are smart to fear the internet.
>>
>>54266755
Mom: a tool required for work. She doesn't use all these social networks at all and used windows XP till 2016.
Dad: black magic that i will ruin if I have access to it
>>
My mom uses one at work and her simple mind associates them with it so she doesn't like sitting at one when she comes home because she feels like she's working again.

My dad is a complete retard and has never even used one.
>>
My father is a software engineer. So I would assume somewhat favorably.
>>
>>54268452
>personal opinions are related to genes

yeah okay.
>>
>Are you still playing with the computers?
>Don't you have werk?
>>
>>54266872
Are you the batman?
>>
>>54266755
Mom is a doctor, at most browses the internet or checks email

Dad has been using computers ever since the DOS era, so was kinda apt at using them, but now has lost touch because of the rapid UI changes and new developments

Grandpa is scared of breaking his laptop, so barely uses it.
>>
Mom buys a shit ton of stuff online, spends a lot of time of Facebook and torrents movies. She can't remember where she has anything saved or how to copy things to/from a flash drive or SD card.

Dad does a lot of work training/continuing education (healthcare) stuff online. He's started doing email more often, and is taking pretty well to learning Android.
>>
Dad:
>only uses windows 7 for work
>no home PC
>iPhone user for only calls, texts and podcasts

Mom:
>Uses Ubuntu dual boot on iMac
>Runs her business on open source software
>Computer was slow so doubled RAM and installed SSD herself after buying online

Both parents are over 60, I think I know where I get my tech genes from...
>>
>>54267553
(You) be careful with those edges
>>
>>54269473
>computer was slow so doubled RAM and installed SSD after buying online
>buying online
does her purchasing the stuff online make her more of a badass?
>>
My Mom is absolutely hopeless, couldn't even turn the fucking thing on.

My Dad loves having powerful computers even though he doesn't use them for much. I've been getting free graphics cards for years because he'll buy a $600 card, use it for 2-3 years, buy a new $600 card and give me the old one. He also pays me money to work on his computers for him and we have good times spending a weekend hanging out working on our rigs.
>>
>>54266755
They think its a box full of cobwebs and magic.
>>
>>54266755
mum is a personal banker, uses a computer constantly at work, but only knows how to use their software, for any other purpose she might as well have never seen a computer before
dad is a carpenter, only used the computer to play stealth shooters and flight sims
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.