[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did they do it /g/? How did they go from disgusting Command
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: xerox-star-8010-02.jpg (235 KB, 1587x1726) Image search: [Google]
xerox-star-8010-02.jpg
235 KB, 1587x1726
How did they do it /g/?

How did they go from disgusting Command Line Interface to godly Graphical User Interface in just a few years?
>>
By ripping off Xerox PARC.
>>
>>54262710
Even today's GUIs are still far from what the Xerox Alto was capable of in the 70s
>>
>>54262847
For example?
>>
File: wallpaawa.jpg (80 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
wallpaawa.jpg
80 KB, 1024x768
Some of us always had both.
>>
>>54262525
Cheaper memory led to affordable bitmapped graphic displays.
CLI is a relic from the teletype era.
>>
>>54262525
The Macintosh and OEM contracts that made sure Windows shipped with anything worth a shit.

>>54262710
Try using an Alto, Star or a PERQ and tell us again how it was a "rip-off", both Windows and the Macintosh/Lisa interface may use some Xerox ideas and draw direct inspiration from PARC efforts, but that doesn't make it a clone.
>>
>>54263216
>Try using an Alto, Star or a PERQ and tell us again how it was a "rip-off"

Not the same guy, but I have used the Squeak smalltalk enviroment.
It's probably the closest analog to the original Xerox UI, and well, it feels a bit clunky.
>>
>>54263329
That's just because your simple mind can't grasp the true potential of a fully dynamic environment.
>>
>disgusting command line interface
>cli is a relic
And this is how you know who on /g/ is an underaged pile of unintelligent shit.
>>
>>54263497
>That's just because your simple mind can't grasp the true potential of a fully dynamic environment.

Or maybe because Alan Kay, as much as I like him, should stop breaking every UI convention developed after 1983.
>>
>>54263520
>And this is how you know who on /g/ is an underaged pile of unintelligent shit.

Really? Tell me then, what makes CLI so superior.
>>
>>54263520
>never advance, technology should remain the same, I'm such a hacker because I type things in
linuxfags everybody
>>
>>54262525
GUI was a mistake. It opend the doors for all sorts of normie retards.
>>
>>54263568
normie retards like you
>>
>>54263564
Good job, Rajesh!
>>
File: r84r1594.jpg (506 KB, 3045x2403) Image search: [Google]
r84r1594.jpg
506 KB, 3045x2403
>>54263329
I always figured the PERQ was closest you can get, it looks and feels very similar, even the hardware looks a lot like it.

There's even an emulator for it so you can try it out yourself: http://yahozna.dyndns.org/projects/perqemu/index.html
>>
>>54263564

Not counting the fact that until the mid 90's CLI was normie stuff. It doesn't take a genius to type a few dozen commands, but why do it when a GUI is faster and more powerful.

>b-but muh automating repetitive stuff

Most people don't want to rename every file in their 1TB hentai collection.
>>
>>54263520
CLI-driven CAD sucks shit from my own ass
System configuration utilities too.
>>
>>54263617

I love 1980's workstations brochures.
There is always this guy with at least 5 different windows open, one with a bar graph, one or two with a graphics demo (bouncing balls and geometric stuff were the favourites), and the obligatory WYSIWIG word processor.
>>
>>54262525
They should have invested in some screen cleaner, zoom in and you can clearly see some lardass' lunch stuck to the monitor.
>>
>>54263546
Scripting.
>>
>>54263624
People scripting usually have jobs that require it.
>>
>>54263817
Great. Not everybody is a computer janitor.
>>
>>54263804
>>54263817

>Implying you can't script GUI stuff
>implying you have to use a CLI for scripting
>Implying that shuffling unstructured data through pipes it's the best option

UNIX is cancer
>>
>>54262878
Smalltalk was your OS, IDE, and workspace, and everything could be part of anything.

The CIA was using it in the early 80s as well as the FBI and other intel agencies, with a program called The Analyst.
>>
>>54264803
> Make a language to teach children how to program
> Somehow ends up as the backbone of the 80's protobotnet
>>
File: r85r5614.jpg (1 MB, 5275x4119) Image search: [Google]
r85r5614.jpg
1 MB, 5275x4119
>>54263676
Same
These ones are actually from a computing center in the UK though that had a pretty big hard-on for PERQ systems, they shilled the transputer pretty hard too.
>>
>>54262710
>"how they do it?"
>picture of Xerox GUI
>"By ripping off Xerox PARC."

Um...wat?
>>
>>54264803
You can blame microsoft and apple computer for becoming the foundation of the consumer computer.
>>
>>54264803
>Smalltalk was your OS, IDE, and workspace, and everything could be part of anything.
No drop-down menues, no command keys, no men bar etc.
The Mac GUI was years ahead of XEROX's effort. PARC could never get the copier-obsessed suits on the East Coast to take notice of their inventions, which is why they showed them to Jobs. History might have been different if the XEROX execs had been a little more interested.
>>
>>54262710
>By ripping off Xerox PARC.
Apple paid PARC with issues of new Apple stock, which is why PARC didn't sue.
Microsoft copied Apple, and not PARC, which is why Apple sued.
The PARC interface was clunky, unintuitive and primitive. The Mac interface even then, was slick, intuitive and functional, which is why Microsoft copied it. Just look at the command keys. Exactly the same.
>>
>>54263676
Not that different from desktop threads, amirite?
>>
>>54263860
>declares Unix cancer
You'll never have to script working at McDonald's, congrats!

>>54263843
You mad neet?
>>
>>54263546
- Unambiguous: You don't need to try to figure out what somebody thought an icon should mean
- Easy access to alternative command options - no mousing around
- Ability to pipe output-to-input for more complex operations (scripts)
>>
File: image.jpg (224 KB, 1078x1160) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224 KB, 1078x1160
>>54269541
They had drop down menus, keyboard shortcuts and commands, and you could even make your own menu bar with about 3 lines of code.

Seems obvious that you don't know what you are talking about Pajeet.
>>
>>54263568
Daily reminder that normies keep the industry going for you to buy things cheap.
>>
>>54269541
you should watch the XEROX presentation where they do facetime and a buncha shit 50 years ago
>>
File: Sketchpad-MIT.jpg (14 KB, 323x223) Image search: [Google]
Sketchpad-MIT.jpg
14 KB, 323x223
>>54262710

This. Well it wasn't a total rip-off. They took some ideas but developed their own as well. They had really talented people at Apple.

But contrary to the myth, the GUI didn't spontaneously appear. In 1963 Sketchpad (aka Robot Draftsman) was showed to the public for the first time. It was the first "interactive" program using a screen and a pointing device to produce (crude for the time) sketches of technical drawings.

And let's not forget the systems that were developed and demoed by Douglas Engelbart in the 60's (collaborative editing, video-conferencing).

The GUI as a consumer product spent half of it's life as a research subject only for the most crazy computer scientists.
>>
>>54263617
Doing demoscene before it was cool
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.