[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have exactly 0.0001 of a pictosecond to explain why you are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5
File: Ruby.png (42 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Ruby.png
42 KB, 256x256
You have exactly 0.0001 of a pictosecond to explain why you are NOT using Ruby as your main scripting language.
>>
>>54253090
Because PHP is superior
>>
>>54253090

I don't speak Japanese
>>
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WhyWeHateRuby
>>
>>54253107
>We

Why do irrelevant autists refer to themselves like this?
>>
I am not a girl
>>
>>54253123
Yes, it gives them some sense of belonging to a group as they don't have friends IRL.
>>
>>54253131
>I am not a girl

It will help you get closer to girls, it might be a positive experience for you.
>>
>>54253107
Sounds like 100% of /g/. Most of those claims are just bullshit whining about arbitrary things and people who use the lang.
>>
>>54253134
>Yes, it gives them some sense of belonging to a group as they don't have friends IRL.

It's such an insane level of delusion...

Like dude. You're not a "critically acclaimed professional", you're literally an autist with an irrelevant blog of barely any regular readers.
>>
>>54253090
I'd rather use lisp or python, fuck your retard sjw language I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot poll.
>>
>>54253090
N/A since I do use it as my main scripting language.
>>
>>54253183
How exactly can a language be "sjw" exactly?

This is some /pol/-tier autism.

>lol le feminists use Ruby so I'll only use a *TRUE* WHITE NATIONALIST language
>>
https://vimeo.com/9471538
>>
I use Diamond because it's the hardest metal. None of my programs written in Diamond ever break.
>>
>>54253244
How does one write a program to the hardest metal ever made? And where does one acquire Thor's own chisel to do so?
>>
>>54253206
>How exactly can a language be "sjw" exactly?
https://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/12004
>>
>>54253090
Horrible syntax
>>
>>54253507
wtf ? this is a thing? how about just not being a dick its only a language ffs
>>
>>54253507
>>54253650
the whole point of CoC is to stop this pointless gendered bullshit that sjws and anti-sjws continue to be retarded about

bunch of autists both sides
>>
>>54253548
>Horrible syntax

Have you ever used it?

It's one of the most good-looking and intuitive syntaxes of any language.
>>
>>54253666
But if code is shit, then its shit it doesn't matter what gender they are why is this even an issue?
>>
I don't know how to program
>>
>>54253875
its easy, stay the fuck away from python though
>>
>>54253206
They lack any technical ability to discuss anything as the most they've written in any language is fizz-buzz, so they just use >muh sjw. Just ignore them.
>>
>>54253980
True desu.

You know they don't know shit when they don't even bring up any reasons, just /pol/ buzzwords like "SJW", " Pajeet" or whatever.
>>
>>54253090
python has more libs
>>
>>54253090
python exists and comes preinstalled on linux
>>
>>54254031
>>54254032
le hivemind le top lel
>>
>>54253090
Because I'm a low level dev, and the only thing we use is C and assembly for time critical tasks.
Our web devs use Ruby for some tasks tho, I don't know much about that domain
>>
>>54254046
I'm just saying if the language is already installed why not use that?

I don't think ruby is any better than python
>>
>>54253090
I prefer lua.
Ruby is amazing for quickly testing coroutines though.
>>
>>54253090
because that's clearly a chaos emerald
>>
>>54253090
But I am, OP, I do ruby (and rails) for work

>>54254032
Ruby is preinstalled on OSX
>>
>>54254159
then I guess I'd use ruby as my main scripting language if I were running OSX
>>
>>54253705
Not the person you quoted but I entirely disagree that it's intuititve.

It has so much syntactic sugar and allowed syntaxes that it becomes hard to know what's actually going.

For example:
- { key: "value" } or { :key => value }
- The difference between symbols and strings.
- The diference between hashes and array.
- Indentation used for scope.
- Acceptance of either indentation or {} for scope.
- Begin/rescue synoyms of try/catch.
- No strict requirement for () on methods.
- No strict requirement for parameters to be passed to methods in ().
- It's default behavior of returning the last operation's return value in methods.

You can argue some of these things have benefits once known but it's NOT intuitive.
>>
File: ccXSLsj1_400x400[1].jpg (15 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
ccXSLsj1_400x400[1].jpg
15 KB, 400x400
>>54254159
>python exists and comes preinstalled on linux
>Ruby is preinstalled on OSX

>asking /g/ why don't they script in ruby
>>
>>54254200
>begin/rescue synonyms of try/catch
so it has two ways of doing a trycatch block?

>indentation used for scope
don't see anything wrong with that if you're just using it for some scripts

>default behaviour of returning the last operation's return value in methods
because it's a functional language
>>
>>54254241
That's why you're the only one who responded to it
>>
>>54253090
because i have work to do

i don't have time to re-train for a language that was dead in the 90s

>>54254084
I had an idea for a game, and after someone talking to be about "prototypes da best" i built a mod for garrys mod in LUA over the course of a week.

(a neat idea i had where you had to obtain money for points, but if you bought weapons the score goes back down, the goal was to balance firepower with winning)

FUCK THAT LINE NOISE AND STATIC

It should have only taken the weekend but i kept getting fucked over by all the little shit lua doesnt do, how the hell can you use that language on a daily basis?

it handles arrays like a retard, and formatting lines enjoys destroying working code.
>>
because Perl6 is more concise
although I do like Ruby if I want something a bit more readable
>>
>>54254200
All things that you learn on day 1 to be quite honest senpai. The only thing I really hate is that you can omit parentheses around parameters in a method call, kinda confusing at times.
>>
>>54254276
>all the little shit lua doesnt do
what

>it handles arrays like a retard
only matrixes and beyond, but it works great with 1D arrays

>and formatting lines enjoys destroying working code
what

I think most of the problems people have with lua come from trying to use like [other language] instead of, well, lua
>>
>>54253090
I use javascript
>>
File: ne pas s'énerver.png (16 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
ne pas s'énerver.png
16 KB, 418x359
>>54254515
>mfw it's actually the good answer
>>
Python's better
>>
>>54253206
>*TRUE* WHITE NATIONALIST language
This is my favorite post in a while.
>>
>>54253666
Check'd
>>
>>54253090
Because I don't know how to program in any language.
>>
>>54255105
>>>54253090 (OP) (You)
>Because I don't know how to program in any language.

Never too late to start.

Ruby is a great first language and you'll be able to jump into the action quickly.
>>
>>54253090
Groovy.
>>
Because it boasts "everything is an object" but the type casts get all fucked up and you have to guess what variables are specific types. Its lulz
>>
>>54253929
I tried getting into Java years ago, but it was too confusing with Oracle's guide. Are there more beginner friendly languages out there
>>
>>54254224
Python also comes preinstalled on OS X.
>>
>>54253090
Because I spend the last decade being an underpaid wage slave IT monkey that had to make sure that Windows and Linux servers worked, Windows and Mac desktop worked and perform typical PC janitor tasks and helpdesk support all while being taken advantage of my superiors

I had not time to catch on the latest scripting and programming trends and I missed the ruby revolution

Depression kicked in, I'm unemployed now and I try to get back to C programming and resume education

No time for Ruby
>>
>>54255366
Ruby could have automated like 80% of your work, though.
>>
>>54253507
>https://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/12004
cool read. fairly interesting conversation
>>
There's no such thing as a pictosecond
>>
>>54253107
>That's the best a bunch of raging autists could come up with

Ruby is one of the best languages in the world, if that's the worst things they could find.
>>
File: 1457963200812.jpg (907 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1457963200812.jpg
907 KB, 1920x1080
>>54253090
Because I know python, why invest the time in a language that will be, at best, equally good as python.
>>
>>54255385
Not when I had to administer a mix of Windows and Linux servers which were not totally under my control and I had not permission to install anything because my boss didn't want me to look too smart

I had to juggle daily bash scripts, bat scripts, vbs scripts, applescripts, backup task, updates for Windows and Macs, while being constantly interrupted by any random request to perform menial helpdesk monkey tasks (hey anon, burn me a cd, the printer is out of ink, how can I sort this table in excel, etc)

Not time for Ruby, I got burned out
>>
>>54253107
>>54253134
>>54253170

c2.com is a wiki mates
>>
>>54253131
What does your gender have to do with your language preferences?
>>
>>54254200
>- { key: "value" } or { :key => value }
New syntax v's old syntax. Languages evolve.

If you'd said "The new hash syntax is inconsistent and you have to fall back to the old syntax when using strings for keys" then you might have had a point.

>- The difference between symbols and strings.
Well let's why not complain about the difference between integers & strings too, while we're at it?

If you'd said "The fact that Hash & Array *still* treat symbols & strings as different keys despite the fact that Hashie has been around for years" you might have had a point.

>- The diference between hashes and array.

I'm sorry, are you for fucking real?

>- Indentation used for scope.

Wrong.

>- Acceptance of either indentation or {} for scope.

Also wrong and you don't know what a block is.

>- Begin/rescue synoyms of try/catch.

I'm not even sure how anyone can give a single fuck over this.

>- No strict requirement for () on methods.
>- No strict requirement for parameters to be passed to methods in ().

These are the only two valid criticisms in your entire post: it can be confusing (and can also be ambiguous, which is why Rubocop will shout at you about it sometimes)

>- It's default behavior of returning the last operation's return value in methods.

Which is a fucking feature, and a very very useful one that makes the language terse and concise.

tl;dr: You don't actually know Ruby.
>>
I already use two scripting languages that are better (Lua and Python). Why bother with another one?
>>
>>54253867
because sjws and anti-sjws keep making it an issue
hence the coc
>>
>>54253090

We already have this thread, goddamit:

>>54235612
>>
Ru by is for fags
>>
>>54253090
oh crap I'm out of time.
>>
Ruby bros, check out crystal. It's like a statically compiled ruby and it's already comfy af with all sorts of shit in the standard library.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.