[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everytime I do a complete overhaul of my hardware I like to switch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3
File: amd-vs-intel1.jpg (346 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
amd-vs-intel1.jpg
346 KB, 1920x1200
Everytime I do a complete overhaul of my hardware I like to switch sides.

Last time it was a nvidia GPU and an intel cpu. This time I'm going to buy some AMD.

I went on logical increment and they don't suggest anything higher end than the FX 8320 for an AMD CPU. Is there a reason for that? I don't really follow the market anymore.
>>
>>54251928
You might want to wait for Zen

>I don't really follow the market anymore.
C'mon bro
>>
>>54251945
>Zen
NO DRIVERS
O

D
R
I
V
E
R
S
>>
>>54251945

It might be a little late because I'm planning my overhaul in the next month or so. Or I should buy a system that will easily convert to the chipset once it releases.
>>
>>54251998
Wait for zen.
>>
>>54251998
This. >>54252111
It just is not worth it to upgrade right now.
>>
If you want AMD CPU's, you have to wait for Zen. Else you are just a trolling retard.
>>
>they don't suggest anything higher end than the FX 8320 for an AMD CPU. Is there a reason for that?

that's because everything above FX 8320 is just an overclocked version of it.

and the FX9xxx chips have ridiculous power draws and are meant to be run at 5ghz and for that you compulsorily have to use a water cooler.

so they aren't as practical and thus not recommended.
>>
I'll probably get a cheap mobo and an equally cheap intel processor then i'll upgrade with zen when it's available.
>>
>>54251928
Go for used i7/xeon if you can find a good price or new i5 in case you need a machine right now. In case you can stick with current build for the next 6-8 month then wait for zen - there be a presentation in october, but they will be available for purchase anywhere in december or january. Anything FX**** is not worth it's money when you find out how much it will cost to slightly overclock it to get better performance.
>>
>>54251928
>I went on logical increment and they don't suggest anything higher end than the FX 8320 for an AMD CPU.

Nothing wrong with the higher ones, just make sure you got water cooling for them.
>>
That's because the 8320 is AMD's highest end processor.

Well not technically, they have released some expensive trash and put high numbers on it but the performance is the same.
>>
>using AMD gpus
Have fun with a thousand issues, you'll get what you pay for.
>>
>>54252830
Never had a issue with my hd5850, that beast is still enough for most casual aaa gaming. The best part is that this thing has the best open source driver support on linux, I can literally do anything with it.
>>
>>54252830
>>using AMD gpus
>Have fun with a thousand issues, you'll get what you pay for.

>friend bought new 960 for $300 (Canada)
>I bought used 290 for $220
>I get literally twice the FPS in some games and have never has issues with the card

if I had infinite money, I'd buy Nvidia all day just for the power draw, but I don't, so I go AMD. even used Nvidia cards cost more than used AMD
>>
>>54252869
genuine question, how does working with Blender fair?
>>
>>54252830
>thousand issues
Such as what?
>>
>>54252887
I don't know, but since it only requires opengl 2.1 I guess my card is more than enough for it. I recently got 4.1 support and will probably get to 4.5 at the end of the year. The general 3d performance is extremely good for opensource games and passable for ported games, passable as in don't expect 60fps on aaa games, their porting is just wrapping up directx calls to opengl in a slow manner. I dumped flgrx five years ago since it was an unstable mess and didn't regret it.
>>
>>54252877
>if I had infinite money, I'd buy Nvidia all day just for the power draw

Why, you goddamned retard? If you had infinite money, why would electricity usage matter to you? Why would you not be running a room full of 1500W quadfire monstrousities 24/7 just because you could?
>>
>>54252975
obviously because of the heat output you mongoloid
>>
>>54252949
>passable as in don't expect 60fps on aaa games
did you try the abysmal witcher 2 port? it was so bad even running the game on wine in DX9 mode had better FPS.
>>
Right now is basically the WORST time possible to buy an AMD system. I would be shocked if this thread isn't just a troll thread.

AM3+ motherboards haven't changed in 4-5 years. There are no AM4 motherboards yet, AM3+ motherboards will never have an upgrade path to Zen. They have to use 3rd party add on chips to support more SATA ports or to add USB 3.0 functionality, something intel has had baked into their chipset for 3-4 generations now.

Basically if you buy an AMD CPU right now you hate yourself and you hate your money.
>>
>>54253004
No, I played it already to death years ago but I heard about the complains and didn't even try to install it when the linux version hit.
>>
I built an Athlon 860k rig and I regret it. But at the same time, I'd rather not submit to the will of Intel.
>>
>>54253005
Are you literally retarded or mentally ill?

Whoever is buying AMD right now doesn't give a fuck about motherboards beyond AM3+, also you didn't say anything about why AMD CPU's are bad.

kys shill
>>
>>54253002
>infinite money
>having your computer in the same room as you

pick one
>>
>>54253055
>having infinite money = you must do all kinds of retarded shit

yeah, you are a dumbass mong
>>
>>54253002
>he doesn't build a small reactor to benefit from heat generated by his FX-9 overclocked to 10 GHz and quadfire double fury
>>
>>54253048
I mean I could get into that too, but since it's a platform that hasn't been updated in 4-5 fucking years it should be pretty obvious the CPUs are shit too, IPC is 40-50% below a current Intel chip, and someone buying AM3+ SHOULD be concerned about motherboards beyond AM3+ because no matter what AMD CPU you buy right now, you're going to HAVE to upgrade within 2 years because buying a brand new AM3+ system today with the highest end AMD CPU possible is the equivalent of buying a mid range intel 5 years ago.
>>
can someone tell me whether this is a good deal? Asus zenbook ux305UA i7 6500U 8GB 256G SSD 13.3" FHD windows 10 for $1550 aus dollars
>>
>>54253089
Why are you blatantly lying like that? How do you life with yourself, Pajeet?
>>
>>54253095
There are only 3 good deals on the market: MBP, MBA, Surface Pro.
>>
>>54252766
Do you even use fx? That shiz is cheap but not crappy, far from it. Speaking as a life-long AMD user.
>>
>>54251998
Then you're a retard.
Zen will be a MASSIVE improvement. You can wait a few months.
Overclock the shit out of whatever you have now, like get that bitch right to the point where it's about to throttle.
>>
>>54253139
MBP? you mean macbook pro?
>>
>>54253098
What part was a lie? Go ahead and call me out on one so I can shove it in your face as a fact.
>>
>>54252579
>compulsorily have to use a water cooler.
No, you don't. An NH-D15, Dark Rock Pro 3 or Cryorig R1 Ultimate will all work.
They'll just be pumping apocalyptic amounts of heat into the case.
>>
>>54253179
literally everything you said is a blatant shitty marketing attempt, 0.01 rupees were deposited into your account pajeet don't forget to poo in loo
>>
>>54253160
Yes, macbooks.
>>
File: 1461006514466.png (676 KB, 685x794) Image search: [Google]
1461006514466.png
676 KB, 685x794
I have a 2500K and a motherboard with PCIe2

Putin stole my money so i can't get myself a new PC probably until a generation after Zen (good thing 2500k actually was that futureproof) so what is the Bestest GPU that is reasonable to get for my PC assuming i have PCI 2

i want to fucking beat Witcher confortably rather than to struggle through fps drops. DS3 is borderline comfortable and my lovely Space engineers have became absolutely unplayable with all those grapic updates.

Are the latest GPUs still not bottlenecked by PCI 2?
>>
>>54253234
Wait for Polaris.
>>
>>54253229
I'm a computer engineering student, I can't get a macbook
>>
>>54253228

i5-2500k, released Q1 2011, 4 cores @ 3.3Ghz. 1MB L2 Cache, 6MB L3 cache.

FX-9590(AMDs highest end CPU they sell). Released Q2 2014 (3 years after the i5-2500k and 2 years ago from today) 4 cores, 8 threads, @ 4.7Ghz! 8MB L2 cache, 8MB L3 cache.

So please Rohit, tell me what part I lied about again?

As you can see from the chart, the FX 9590 can't even beat the i5-2500k in single threaded performance despite the fact it was released 3 years after the i5-2500k. And even in multi-threaded situations, it's barely beating the 2500k despite having 8 threads where the 2500k only has 4.

Retard
>>
>>54253234
I have an 8350 in my computer, got it on sale price right after it came out at a local electronics store with a mobo for the same price as the 8350 anywhere online, when I got it at least, $200 for it + a good mobo and I'm still probably good for another few years, the 2500k, 3570k and 8320/8350 was an extremely good year or so of CPUs being released, and could last a good while longer.
>>
>>54253279
is an i7 6500U good for gaming?
>>
>>54253326
no, the U means it's an ultra low power mobile part. It has a 25w TDP (compared to 91w for the desktop part). It has 2 cores instead of 4 cores like the desktop CPU and it is clocked lower as well.

It's not a CPU for gaming, though it probably could manage some light gaming if you really needed it to, depending on the GPU.
>>
>>54253234
The latest GPUs (outside of the pro duo / 980 Ti) still aren't bottlenecked by fucking PCIe 2.0x8, let alone the x16 you should have.

Wait for polaris to launch then buy a cheap R9 380X.
>>
>>54253345
fk man, I just want to buy a reasonable laptop for Uni that I can use for some gaming on the side. Any recommendations? any good models out there?
>>
>>54253378
gaming and laptop dont go together, every 18 year old and their cousin tries to do the same exact thing every year when they go off to college, they want a nice gaming laptop they can take to class for notes and use for gaming when they aren't in class. It's just a shit compromise though, no laptop is a good value for gaming, you'll be spending minimum $1000, and probably $1500-2000 for something capable of good gaming.

You're better off buying a $800-1000 desktop and a $200-300 cheap laptop for notes in class.
>>
>>54253140
Yes, I'm using FX and will not recommend anyone to buy it in 2016. And my FX+mobo combo was just a slightly cheaper than i5-6400 or i5-6500 with random cheap-ass mobo and some random drr4-2133 memory. And I already had old massive and efficient dual 120mm fan heatsink left from my phenom 2 build, without it I would have to spend extra for decent cooler and the FX+mobo+cooler price would be higher than i5.
I've been using AMD since I had my first PC in 2001, I had 2 Athlons, 2 Phenoms and now it's Vishera, oh and there we 2 more laptops with Athlons as well. And you know what? Fuck AMD. My next build will be Intel and I give zero fucks on what they promise about Zen. Every time I trust this company I'm getting ass-raped without lubricant: shit performance, shit temperatures, shit price-performance ratio when it comes to quality motherboards and power supplies.
You better be fucking joking when saying that you are happy with AMD CPU purchase. Tho their GPUs are fine.
>>
>>54253424
when i say gaming I mean cs:go and league. Perhaps overwatch in the future. I've got a home pc for other games like dark souls and the witcher. Would an i5 be capable of running games such as league and go?
>>
>>54253458
depends on the i5, and ultra lower power one? Nope.

And you wont be playing CSGO, LoL, etc without a GPU. The integrated graphics of the intel CPUs will not cut it.
>>
>>54253440
seriously, i upgraded from an A10-7850k to an i7-5820k, the difference is so drastic.
>>
>>54252869
>Never had a issue with my hd5850, that beast is still enough for most casual aaa gaming. The best part is that this thing has the best open source driver support on linux, I can literally do anything with it.
Can you lower the fanspeed with it?
>check mates amdeïst
>>
>>54253458
Go for something with an A10-8700p or so.
I bought myself a dell insipron 15-5555 with an a10-8700p and I'm pretty happy with it, I can play WoW, league, etc, and can load up sabayon for just general browsing, coding, whatever.
>>
>>54253368
>then buy a cheap R9 380X
Sounds interesting.

How well will it handle witcher 3 in 1080p?
I heard that even the monsters still struggle with it.
>>
>>54253498
I have foam inside my case so I don't really hear anything. I don't worry about energy consumption because I produce my own electricity. I have 5000 kWh to spare so I don't care.

but yes you can change the fan speed.
>>
>>54253519
That's odd because only the closed source driver supports that.
>>
>>54253532
I had a 5770, not a 5850, but it had manual fan control too. Not sure why you seem to think they wouldnt O_o
>>
>>54253515
>Witcher
A toaster can handle witcher
>>
>>54253515
My 280X does fine in 1080p, mostly maxxed out. The 380X is pretty much the same in performance, just uses a lot less power and has a bit more VRAM.
>>
>>54253575
I mean, an r7-270x I know can't push 60fps at 1080p for the witcher 3.
>>
Got tired of my FX chip, great budget processor but I can afford nice things now so went for the new i5.
My only worry is that DX12/Vulkan makes the current performance gap non-existant or even favours an 8 core FX processor heavily in which case I'll feel quite the fool.
>>
>>54253613
You probably will according to various benchmarks, but only on games that aren't bought by nvidia gameworks.
>>
My last 3 builds went from:

AMD + AMD
Intel NVIDIA
Intel AMD

Going back to AMD + AMD reusing my current cards if zen can hit up there close to broadwell-e at a cheaper price. one of my friends alredy went 6700k and the other will probably run a stock broadwell-e. If zen can hit up close to there Ill still have king of the coupe. If zen is another bulldozer then ill fall back on broadwell-e.
>>
>>54253711
Vega will be out around the same time Zen finally comes out. Really doubt you'll be reusing your current cards.
>>
>>54253613
Went from a FX8350 to a i5 4690, zero fucking regrets GPU usage at 99% all the fucking time now, getting the bes tout of my money out of this GPU that I bought more that one year ago.

Fuck AMD CPUs.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.