[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> was going to install kubuntu to learn how to into linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: 1441148191617.jpg (76 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
1441148191617.jpg
76 KB, 480x454
> was going to install kubuntu to learn how to into linux

> now this news of ubuntu being unsecure breaks

Should I go with a different distro? Maybe mint?
>>
>>54238978
Every OS is insecure, it only matters in degrees of insecurity. tl;dr just do it, faggot. Common sense 2016 should protect you in almost all cases.
>>
if you havent made yourself a target for extremely skilled hackers i wouldn't fall for the security flaws meme
>>
>>54238978
> Classic US citizen.
>>
>>54238978
D E B I A N
E
B
I 8
A
N
>>
File: _20160424_162617.jpg (134 KB, 1080x916) Image search: [Google]
_20160424_162617.jpg
134 KB, 1080x916
>>54238978
>maybe mint
Are you fucking retarded?

Not only is it less secure, it's also trailing behind Ubuntu in features and performance thanks to the mint team copying code from outdated Ubuntu installs.

Go with Ubuntu or Fedora, they're both secure.
>>
>>54238978
how is it insercure?
>>
What's the most secure GNU/Linux distro?
>>
>>54238978
>mint
kek
Enjoy your backdoored isos
>>
>>54239058
I would switch to Debian in a heartbeat if I could get it with up-to-date packages for KDE.

Even *buntu is fucked in this regard. I'm waiting for the next release of KDE Neon to make it so.
>>
>>54238978
>mint

It is literally ubuntu with delayed security updates.
>>
>>54238978
>kubuntu
if you really hate your life that much try opensuse with kde
>>
Quit using noob distros and install Arch.

>Oh no a security hole
>sudo pacman -Syu
>relax your anus

Every month there's at least one security hole in distros that aren't BLEEDING EDGE and nobody updates them, fedora has had a security hole for a month already and nobody there gives a shit.

This is why all the true /g/angstas use Arch. It's the distro of this board because it's the best.
>>
Out of the blue I can't run Mate and XFCE sessions, though awesome still works. On startup I get this error message (before login prompt):

'Cannot set frequency 16000 to ep 0x86'.

Below is the content of my .xession-errors file:

/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:x being added to access control list
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_GB.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
Option "--login" is no longer supported in this version of mate-terminal; you might want to create a profile with the desired setting, and use the new '--profile' option

(x-terminal-emulator:3858): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-menu-bar-popup-delay after class was initialised

(x-terminal-emulator:3858): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-can-change-accels after class was initialised

(x-terminal-emulator:3858): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-menu-popup-delay after class was initialised

(x-terminal-emulator:3858): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-menu-popdown-delay after class was initialised

(x-terminal-emulator:3858): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-label-select-on-focus after class was initialised

(x-terminal-emulator:3858): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-menu-images after class was initialised

(x-terminal-emulator:3858): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-button-images after class was initialised
>>
>>54238978
install gentoo
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 302x326) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 302x326
>>54240261
>bleeding edge
>secure
>>
Just stick with windows or osx. After about a week of linux you will get fed up with how complicated even simple tasks are, and the complete lack of decent software.
>>
>>54240261
>all true /g/angstas use Arch
botnet, use Parabola instead
>>
>>54240403

When was the last time you read that Arch was insecure? AUR doesn't count, only official repos.
>>
>>54239163
the one you use offline always
>>
>>54239294
install arch linux
>>
>>54240473
At least Debian based distros have their packages go through a rigorous screening process before they are made available, bleeding edge distros are far less rigorous
>>
>>54240484

Install geento
>>
>>54240476
What's the most secure GNU/Linux distro if I really have to use the internet?
>>
>>54240561
Probably RHEL.
>>
>>54238978
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54240498

Well that's fucking great, you will always have a steady selection of outdated packages with security flaws.
>>
>>54240624
Thanks, enjoy your time sink distro that isn't used anywhere in a professional setting
>>
>>54239112
Fedora feels kinda hardcore compared to ubuntu. I've once tested it: installed on my hard drive, connected something like non-free repos following fedora forum and suddenly ended up with beta or fucking alpha version of linux kernel, daily builds of all software and shit. Meh, that was a bad experience. Fedora never-again, I'm too used to debian-based distros and I know some basic stuff and how does apt works and shit, and I don't want to learn how fedora works because it feels like a waste of time tbqh.
>>
>>54240586
What's it for? I mean how is it better or different from Arch or Ubuntu? Also, is Arch better than Gentoo for learning GNU/Linux?
>>
>>54239006
nigger
>>
File: 1444339457416.jpg (227 KB, 1488x1067) Image search: [Google]
1444339457416.jpg
227 KB, 1488x1067
>>54239058
>>
>>54240586
Also, which RHEL? There's CentOS, ClearOS, Fermi Linux, Scientific Linux and so many more of its "derivatives" on Wikipedia.
>>
ubuntu always was shit. stick to arch, especially since you wanna learn more about linux
>>
>>54238978
Thinks mint is secure
check the news m8
>>
How exactly is ubuntu unsecure?
>>
>>54240828
Arch is easier than Gentoo, but better is subjective. If you just wanna know basic shit about the file structure, config files, and generally how everything is set up then go Arch. If you want to set up everything yourself and compile sources on your own then try Gentoo.
>>
>>54238978
Try Slackware. It was my first linux distro and it's still my favorite. It has pretty much everything you need with a full install and a great user repository, while still being light on system resources and generally free.
>>
>>54240828
>>54240905
RHEL is RHEL. Red Hat Linux Enterprise, it's commercial distro sold by Red Hat. Other you listed are RHEL based. For instance CentOS is a free version of RHEL without Red Hat support basically.
Either way you are not going to use RHEL ever because 1. licenses are expensive 2. RHEL is not suitable for home use, it's server OS mostly
>>
>>54241046
All I want is a distro that's secure, good for home servers and doesn't have any bloat. I'll probably go with CentOS then, after I learn everything from Arch and then install Gentoo at least once. Thanks.
>>
>>54239351
>ubuntu

It is literally debian with delayed security updates.
>>
>>54240261
You're retarded.
>>
>>54241130
You can get a RedHat developer account and get RHEL for free.
>>
>>54238978
it's not. they advertised snap packages as being really secure but really you could still create a keylogger or anything (because of how X11 is designed)
>>
File: 1405717028494.jpg (94 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1405717028494.jpg
94 KB, 650x650
>installing arch to get into linux
I don't get you people, I'd say the things people here associate with arch is quite on the bottom in the learning hierarchy.
first you should to get to know the GNU core system components (aka getting basic shit DONE using the command line)
then you should get to know the basic software you start off with, or if they turn out to be unbearable, switch distros at this point
THEN you start comparing different software alternatives and components you got the hang of.
up until this point arch has absolutely no relevant features compared to any other distro unless it's standard config is significantly to your liking.
Things like advanced configuration, maintenance etc are absolutely fucking irrelevant at the beginning. Who sincerely cares about manual installs and the like at the start?
>>
>>54239163
LPS Linux
>>
>>54238978
>Mint shills talking about security
LMAO
>>
>>54241632
Aren't RHEL and CentOS the same thing but CentOS is for free? If it's the same thing then isn't getting a developer account just an extra step?
>>
>>54238978
>unsecure
Oh cool you made the thread again.

Kill yourself OP
>>
O P E N B S D
>>
>>54241714
CentOS is just RHEL recompiled and distributed for free, so technically, yes, though they often differ slightly in small ways due to different update cycles and the like.
>>
>>5423897

>Mint

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
File: 1459408176008.png (471 KB, 986x715) Image search: [Google]
1459408176008.png
471 KB, 986x715
>>54240717
>I don't want to learn how fedora works because it feels like a waste of time tbqh.
alias apt-get=dnf
>wow
>>
>>54241714
Yeah but you get access to their repos which update faster (when it comes to security fixes). I think the support windows are also longer.
>>
Someone fill me in, I've completely missed this. What is it?
>>
>>54239163
Red star os
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.