[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10273 /intel-proposes-to-use-u
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: usb-c_audio_678_678x452.png (120 KB, 678x450) Image search: [Google]
usb-c_audio_678_678x452.png
120 KB, 678x450
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10273/intel-proposes-to-use-usb-typec-cables-to-connect-headsets-to-mobile-devices

THANK YOU BASED INTEL
>>
File: usb-c_audio_1.png (69 KB, 1068x539) Image search: [Google]
usb-c_audio_1.png
69 KB, 1068x539
IT'S OVER, 3.5MM JACK IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT
>>
b-but muh poorfag headsets!!
>>
>>54238376
>>54238385
Why couldn't AMD come up with this?
>>
why is this good?
>>
>>54238376
Most people still want to use the 3.5mm audio jack using an internal DAC, and that'll remain the case.
>>
>>54238385
>>54238376
finally the analog hole is plugged by glorious American DRM. aww yiss.
>>
Mfw inears will become huge due to the need for a DAC
>>
As long as I get two USB ports, then I'm all for it.
>>
>>54238376
> "industry signalling strong desire to move from analog to digital"
Translation: phone manufacturers are either trying to get away with not including a DAC to make their phones cheaper
*OR*
They're trying to make more money by selling headphones people will be forced to buy if they don't have a 3.5mm audio jack to use their existing headphones with
>>
Finally we can have sub 5mm thick phablets
>>
File: 1458264652470.jpg (363 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1458264652470.jpg
363 KB, 1280x720
What's a DAC? What is it used for?
>>
>>54238655
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter
>>
>>54238532
this
>>
What a load of bullshit, and also won't happen. If it would be a mixed signal interface it could work but moving from analog to digital is disastrous.

Means that your small earbuds need to incorporate a DAC to function, since there is no reason to believe that every Corp is going to use the exact same specification to deliver data to the dac it causes vendor lock.
>>
>>54238534
Why can't the DAC be in the phone?
>>
>>54238655
>Can't use google for basic information like this
Dumb anime poster
>>
>>54240001
phone manufacturers don't want to invest in them because they cost money. if they can forgo dacs they can save a buttload of money.

charge the same for the phone and rank in higher profits.
>>
>>54240001
the music would be digital if it goes via USB so the conversion has to happen outside of the phone
>>
>>54238561
NOPE, you gotta pay for those adapters anon, no escape.
>>
>>54240047
Tiny little qualcomm DACs integrated onto the SoC are not expensive to a manufacturer...
>>
>>54240047
Apple and HTC use pretty good ones already, just how much more expensive would it be? Specially considering the cost cut from headphones jack removal.

>>54240053
Why couldn't USB C transfer the analog signal?
>>
>>54238655

You know what a soundcard does, right?

It's just an external soundcard. Onboard soundcards are prone to all kinds of distortions and disturbances within the computer, so when you have the analog signal going out (which is what goes to your speakers) it will sound less crisp and is prone to buzzing and such.

By having the conversion made outside of the case, preferably nowhere near electrical fields or anything that might distort the signal, you get a cleaner sound. DACs are for the most part snake oil, but if you have a really bad onboard soundcard, you will notice the difference.

Sound is stored in digital form in your computer, it needs to be converted into analog signal in order for speakers to play it, the DAC simply turns those 0s and 1s into electrical pulses that then are amplified by your speakers.
>>
>>54238376
it reminds me this craze in early 2000s when there was >50 Digital camera manufacturers and everyone of had to put 9000 crappy "filters", modes, enchancers etc.

that is until somebody came up with changing exposure time for each group of subpixels
>>
>>54240001
the signal from the DAC to the speakers is analog, so if you connect speakers via a digital interface, then the dac needs to be moved into the speakers
inb4 >just make digital speakers, duh
yea, just as soon as we get robot ears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntWD6rpivqM
>>
>>54238376
Audio signals ARE analog. It's just a question on if you want to rely on some shitty DAC built into some product, or an actually decent DAC on your motherboard/PCB solely designed for the purpose, or even an external DAC. At no point would I consider using this.
>>
>>54240001

The DAC is in your phone, it's just poor because it's packed up so tight. There are phone dacs with a battery you can buy that convert the sound and amplify it for headphones.

Digital sound always has to be converted into analog signal.
>>
>>54238376
How would digital audio work? I mean, I can't say I don't think it won't work, but maybe not on its own with traditional drivers.

A digital signal over a bias voltage similar to electrostats might work? But its still weird.
>>
>>54240165
>>54240183
on these notes, there is the potential for putting a better DAC in a pair of headphones than you could put in a phone (unless it was some niche phone that focused on it)

so, idk, i suppose it could work, people who care about audio get nice headphones/speakers anyway, so if the dac was placed there then you wouldn't need to worry about what each players' dac was like
>>
>>54238597
*OR*
They want to push HDCP for audio
>>
>>54240309
too easy to just rip apart a pair of headphones and swap the speakers with RCA connectors
>>
>>54240246
That would drive up headphone costs, though, while not affecting phone cost since they still need DACs for speakers. Das bad.
>>
Are you guys retarded or what? Did you even read the second slide? The DAC can still be in your phone and the jack is a hybrid connector for analog audio and digital signals. You're going to need an adapter.

>>54240047
>>54238597
Audio codecs are incredibly cheap and suddenly don't become obsolete even if the DA-conversion was done elsewhere.

>>54240183
>The DAC is in your phone, it's just poor because it's packed up so tight
What a load of shit. This is probably why year after year we see a gradual increase performance from SoC integrated codecs which are generally performing far beyond human hearing already. Modern mobile electronics tend to have excellent audio codecs and DA-converters.

>>54240229
Obviously it's not digital if it makes a sound.
>>
>>54240246
The DAC in your headphones is not going to beat the one in your phone, no way no how.
>>
>>54243223
>Modern mobile electronics tend to have excellent audio codecs and DA-converters.
Which is why my IEMs hiss when plugged into modern mobile phones but not into any dedicated DAC.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.