[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Linux have ANY advantage over Windows for gamers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: 1000 Hours.png (53 KB, 271x123) Image search: [Google]
1000 Hours.png
53 KB, 271x123
And if so, which distro is the best?
>>
Zorin
>>
>>54226689
Buy a console for your games
>>
For gamers not really
>>
sorry op Linux isn't for kids
>>
>>54226689
no
gentoo
>>
>>54226689
Depends what other things you do on your computer.
>>
>>54226712
>30fps
Its really not okay to have 30fps in 2016
>>
>>54226689
i currently use mint but ubuntu or a ubuntu based distro have support for a good amount of games
>>
>>54226689
Games would arguably run faster on Linux.
>>
Probably finer tuning for your rig if the game permits it. Problem is most games are shitty console ports.
>>
I have most of the games I want on GNU/Linux. The advantages are not related to games, but to general computing. You lose a lot of games by switching, though. But if you just play valve and strategy games and rpgs, you're golden.
>>
>>54226743
Browsing, some programming, playing older-ish/low demand games.

>GMod
>Civ 3
>Terraria
>etc.
>>
>>54226689
Currently No. Nothing beats Windows when it comes to gaming.

Hopefully with Vulkan that will change as Loonix will have a proper graphics API but you will need more recent hardware to use it so it will be a while.
>>
>>54226689
Left 4 Dead 2 runs faster on linux but it crashes if the window loses focus. Fucking infuriating.
>>
File: perfect_throw.gif (495 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
perfect_throw.gif
495 KB, 500x280
>csgo on linux
>vsync on, couldnt find solution
>60 fps (w7 300)
>poor performance
>there arent any good drivers for me
>>meh
>>
If you're even considering using Linux for gaming, you obviously have no idea what the hell you're doing/talking about.
>>
>>54226746
It doesn't really fucking matter provided you aren't a pathetic retard.
>>
>>54226769
They could, but they usually don't.
>>
If you have an Intel or AMD GPU, don't even bother. Both devs don't give a fuck about the state of their drivers.

If you have an Nvidia GPU, you're in the clear. I'd suggest getting Xubuntu and setting up Wine for games that won't run natively.
>>
>>54227257
>be me
>be self-admitted pathetic retard
>insist on buttersmooth 60fps at the LEAST
>>
Games from XP era and/or before tend to work better with linux/wine than vista or above
>>
>>54227022
Even with a good API developers still need to make an effort to develop for a platform which only a fraction of their potential customers use. Only nerds like indie game devs, or companies run by nerds with way too much money like Valve will actually make that effort.
>>
>>54227320
In my experience I can get everything back to 95 running fine in windows 7, but dosbox and shit always gives me grief.
It's a lot easier to get doom running in ubuntu than windows imo.
>>
>>54226689
Much better schedulers and significantly less background services. The fact that it's opensource means that game developers can go and submit patches to improve performance in most areas if need be.

Install Gentoo.
>>
>>54227418
In not-dos-tier-but-oldish titles, there are often several issues such as with colors when trying to run them on more recent versions of windows. Additionally, several specific titles stop working with every new windows version no matter the settings used. A quick google can confirm this to be true.
>>
>>54227510
>there are often several issues such as with colors when trying to run them on more recent versions of windows
Mostly solved by just killing explorer.exe
>>
File: you stupid niggers.jpg (53 KB, 620x439) Image search: [Google]
you stupid niggers.jpg
53 KB, 620x439
I remember when I got tired of Vista and barely 30fps World of Warcraft, so I installed Ubuntu.

Miraculously, I got an easy +10 fps (through WINE) and crowded cities were suddenly playable. I'm thinking it had something to do with the RAM, I might've had a whopping 1GB stick in it bottlenecking the already hungry Vista.
>>
>>54227135
Bullshit, there are benchmarks out there that confirm this is a lie.
>>
>>54227528
So you start the game, then kill explorer to respawn it?
>>
>>54227553
OK pajeet
>>
>>54227563
You kill explorer.exe then start the game. Start the process again after finishing your session
>>
>Does OpenGL really has any advantage over DirectX?

this is what you should really be asking op
anyway steam for linux is made with ubuntu in mind, so ubuntu probably
>>
>>54227553
No need to get all kerfuffled.
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/
>>
File: _20160424_162617.jpg (134 KB, 1080x916) Image search: [Google]
_20160424_162617.jpg
134 KB, 1080x916
>>54226689
Ubuntu or one of its spins would be best for you. Super easy to use.

Just avoid mint, it's a meme.

Ubuntu or Ubuntu mate.
>>
For gaming? No.

>Every Steam Linux game is available for Windows
>Steam for Windows has tons and tons of games that will never see the light of day on Linux
>For games that are on both Windows and Linux, performance is almost always noticeably better on Windows. The reason is because most Windows games are DirectX optimized, and the game publisher hires a third party company to port the game to Linux which will run on OpenGL.
>Most game controllers and joysticks are designed for Windows. For example, I have a Hori FC4, and it doesn't work on Linux at all. X360 controllers and the Steam controller work on Linux, but good luck with everything else.
>Windows even has a wider selection of emulators: SSF (Saturn) and Dolphin (GC/Wii) are both Windows only. Linux has RetroArch, but so does Windows. So again, Linux loses out.

I use Debian full time, but it is really poor for gaming. In a few months I'll be able to finish up my gaming PC build so I can shift all gaming activity to a PC that's separate from my Debian machine. All my Linux and data partitions are Ext4, but I just don't trust Windows 10.
>>
Gaming on Linux is possible, but it's a pain and you won't be able to play a lot of titles. I tried it on Ubuntu 15.10 but it sucked with my AMD GPU and no proprietary driver support. So I went back to a I windows dual boot, where I use windows exclusively for games exclusively for games. Installing windows was such a pain and it sucks so much for normal computing and work, but I just wanted to play some comfy games from time to time.
>>
The Dolphin emualtor is available on Linux you silly goose.
>>
>>54228032
my same feel. I play only 1 game and it is D3. Not even going to try on linux. just no
>>
>>54226689
Some random games will do better, but don't count on it.
>>
Insurgency got a Linux port and it blows so much. Maps with particles get me down to 20 fps and bounces up go 40 fps. Usually sticks to 150+ on Windows

Steam games I found no difference (dota 2, csgo, etc)
>>
>>54228567
It depends if the game is ported natively or uses a wine wrapper, basically.
>>
>>54226689

>Does Linux have ANY advantage over Windows for gamers?

No. Graphics perfomance on loonix is a shit. Graphics drivers is a shit.

The gaymes not optmized for openshitL.

Resume: piece of crap. Stay on WiNSA.
>>
>>54229031
I love this meme, pajeet. Say it again!
>>
Wine can actually be pretty good for playing older games which have compatibility issues on new Windows. But in general, Windows is clearly superior for gamez.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.